Best College Football Coach

Magox

32 members have voted

1. 1. Which College Football Coach would you build your program around?

• Urban Meyer
    • Pete Carroll
    • Mack Brown
    • Mike Leach
    • Nick Saban
    • other

Ummmm, yes. That's why I said Texas. But now I have no idea what you're talking about.

Yeah, that's what I thought. I was really making a joke - an obtuse one at that, I guess - about the ass-ettes of the USC Song Girls and FSU Cowgirls providing an unfair recruiting advantage.

As an afterthought, I was just pointing out that the Red Raiders are not exactly steeped in Texas tradition like the Aggies, the Longhorns, SMU, Baylor, etc. What Leach has done, on a limited budget, with a group of players largely overlooked by the 'major' programs, is fairly remarkable - if he ever has the financial resources and recruiting power of a USC, I expect he'd win the BCS Championship every year.

That's all I'm sayin'. :rolleyes:

Yeah, that's what I thought. I was really making a joke - an obtuse one at that, I guess - about the ass-ettes of the USC Song Girls and FSU Cowgirls providing an unfair recruiting advantage.

As an afterthought, I was just pointing out that the Red Raiders are not exactly steeped in Texas tradition like the Aggies, the Longhorns, SMU, Baylor, etc. What Leach has done, on a limited budget, with a group of players largely overlooked by the 'major' programs, is fairly remarkable - if he ever has the financial resources and recruiting power of a USC, I expect he'd win the BCS Championship every year.

That's all I'm sayin'. <_<

Okay, so I did understand what you were saying. I guess I wasn't very clear with my tounge in cheek comment.

I don't know what the recruiting budget difference is between A&M, SMU, Baylor and Tech, but since A&M fell off the face of the earth, it has only been a matter of time before another team stepped up. There's too much talent in Texas to only have 1 dominant school.

I agree that Leach is a good coach and is doing good things at Texas Tech. And I think almost any coach could go to USC and have a championship contender every year. But I don't think that Leach is doing the same things as guys like Peterson, Gill, and Kelly. There's just too much home grown talent around him.

I like leach. The other guys didn't "build" programs, they took over at schools that had a great program in place and did well with it. Leach developed his own unique system that let him win without the great talent. You gotta build go with a builder. The other guys are guys who know what to do with a great program, not how to build one.

I like leach. The other guys didn't "build" programs, they took over at schools that had a great program in place and did well with it. Leach developed his own unique system that let him win without the great talent. You gotta build go with a builder. The other guys are guys who know what to do with a great program, not how to build one.

Not so true.

From Wiki:

Early coaching career

In 2001, Meyer took his first head coaching job at Bowling Green; in his first season there, he engineered one of the greatest turnarounds in the NCAA that year going 8-3 overall capping off with 56-21 victory over bitter rival, the University of Toledo Rockets. He also earned Mid-American Coach of the Year honors. The next year Bowling Green went 9-3 overall. After a 17-6 overall record, Meyer left for the University of Utah and offensive coordinator Gregg Brandon was promoted as head coach.[7]

After two seasons at Bowling Green, he took the job at Utah in 2003. In his first year there, Meyer was named the Mountain West Conference's Coach of the Year with a 10–2 record, the best ever for a coach's first season at Utah. He also earned honors as The Sporting News National Coach of the Year, the first Utes coach to do so.[8] Meyer's success can be attributed to his unique offensive system, which is an offshoot of Bill Walsh's West Coast Offense, relying on short pass routes.[9] Meyer's base offense spreads three receivers and puts the quarterback in shotgun formation. Then, he introduces motion in the backfield and turns it into an option attack, adding elements of the traditional run-oriented option offense.[10]

In 2004, Meyer led the undefeated Utes to a Bowl Championship Series bid, something that had not been done by a team from a non-automatically qualifiying BCS conference since the BCS' creation in 1998.[11] He remained at Utah long enough to coach the team to a Fiesta Bowl win over Pittsburgh, capping off the Utes' first perfect season (12–0) since 1930.

Yes, he took over a power program at Florida, but he earned his way up to that position first as a position coach and immediately excelling at his first two head coaching jobs. Also, making the leap with a top team from consistent top 25 to consistent championship contender isn't exactly an easy thing to do.

Personally, I think Meyer is still too new at the HC position to be put in any "Best" category, but I do disagree that he is only good because of where he currently is.

Not so true.

From Wiki:

Yes, he took over a power program at Florida, but he earned his way up to that position first as a position coach and immediately excelling at his first two head coaching jobs. Also, making the leap with a top team from consistent top 25 to consistent championship contender isn't exactly an easy thing to do.

Personally, I think Meyer is still too new at the HC position to be put in any "Best" category, but I do disagree that he is only good because of where he currently is.

Well, Leach established himself as an offensive genius while serving as Bob Stoops' Offensive Coordinator at Oklahoma before building the program at TT from the ground up.

Meyer does have a hot daughter, though...

Nicki Meyer

Well, Leach established himself as an offensive genius while serving as Bob Stoops' Offensive Coordinator at Oklahoma before building the program at TT from the ground up.

Meyer does have a hot daughter, though...

Nicki Meyer

I wasn't saying that Leach didn't build a program, only that all the other coaches weren't only good because of their teams.

Not so true.

From Wiki:

Point well taken. Meyer is an extremely close second of the coaches listed.

Pete Carroll would probably have been chosen higher in this thread if weren't on a Bills message board, having said that, Meyer is a hell of a coach and recruiter, but Saban is probably just as impressive of a coach than anyone of the choices mentioned. If he had never left LSU, he probably would of received a lot more votes, and my guess is that he will build a very successful program over there in Bama

The most important part of a college coach's job is recruiting, so I'll go with Pete Carroll. The talent he brings into USC year after year is remarkable. And he gets results.

btw, this is another reason why LA isn't interested in an NFL team. They already have USC.

I agree with this 100%. Having lived in LA for his whole tenure until this year I can say the guy is amazing at this. I heard him say once if he ever wanted to return to the NFL he said no way because in college recruiting he and many first round picks every year. Greart point. Oh and the co-eds at USC can be given a pat on the, uh-hem, back for their part too.

That's all I'm sayin'. :wallbash:

SMU??? other than the Eric Dickerson teams they have been totally irrelevant over the past 30 or so years.