Democrats are bending over backwards for.....

Magox

Bipartisan support? :worthy:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=aHA5ZVpOOILs

New York Senator Charles Schumer said President Barack Obama and Democratic congressional leaders are considering “alternatives” to a bipartisan health-care bill amid continuing opposition from Republicans.

Schumer, speaking on NBC’s “Meet the Press,” said Obama and Democratic leaders are “bending over backwards” to win Republican support for a bill. “It’s looking less and less likely that certainly the Republican leadership in the House and Senate will want to go for a bipartisan bill,” he said.

A move by Democrats to seek a partisan bill may provoke a backlash from Republicans and weaken public support for a health-care overhaul, Obama’s top domestic priority. It might also result in watered-down legislation.

Utah Senator Orrin Hatch, a Republican who also appeared on the program, said passing a bill on reconciliation would be “an abuse of the process.”

Connecticut Senator Joseph Lieberman, speaking on CNN, called it “a real mistake to try to jam through” the total health overhaul package when the public is “nervous” about it.

I think their definition of "bending over backwards" to get Republican support really means "We want the Republicans to Bend Over on this Health Care Public Option, and if they don't, then they are just being unreasonable"

Personally, if the W.H can't garner more public support than what they have been able to, and they decided to go the Reconicliatory route, it would be very risky, politically speaking. The outrage that we have seen now would pale in comparison to what we would see if they were to jam this through without broad support.

I see this upcoming week's new message is starting to take shape in light of the fact that no other message they've tried to explain has managed to take root.

If Obama was smart, he'd realize they can't even get partisan support, let alone bipartisan support. Stretch Pelosi says there must be a pubic option. Steny Hoyer insinuates it's not possible, stating that while he'd like a public option, "I'm also for passing a bill." They are so off message, out of sync and just plain mismanaged right now, maybe the only thing to do is to point to the other side and blame them.

The WH is in dire need of a leader.

I see this upcoming week's new message is starting to take shape in light of the fact that no other message they've tried to explain has managed to take root.

If Obama was smart, he'd realize they can't even get partisan support, let alone bipartisan support. Stretch Pelosi says there must be a pubic option. Steny Hoyer insinuates it's not possible, stating that while he'd like a public option, "I'm also for passing a bill." They are so off message, out of sync and just plain mismanaged right now, maybe the only thing to do is to point to the other side and blame them.

The WH is in dire need of a leader.

If there's no public option, then what the hell's the point of the legislation?

Really, as much as I don't want a public option, Hoyer's position sounds like passing ineffective legislation for its own sake, which to me is immeasurably worse than a public option.