Reality Check

trigger

Fellas, please spare me the "it's only preseason" excuse for the embarrassing performance by the Bills last night. Sure, even during the great years of the early '90's, the team lost plenty of exhibition games. The thing is, you always knew that once the real season started, they would play the way they were expected to--with grit and intelligence. What scares me about this current group is that the only reputation they have built is one of consistently poor play. This does not look to me like a team that is out to turn things around and reward its fans for their incredible loyalty for the failures of the past decade. Then again, maybe it's not just apathy that hurts this team. Perhaps it is a problem with talent.

Looked at critically, last season's seven wins were, for the most part, unimpressive. Five of their wins came over losing teams-- K.C., Oakland, St. Louis, Seattle, J-Ville. Their two other wins were against .500 teams (Denver & San Diego).

So how did the team address it's sub-par record vs. an extremely weak schedule? They brought in one aging star and a couple reserves to the offense and two other reserves on defense. What did the Patriots do? This consistently great team, who went 11-5 with an unknown backup QB, went to work and IMPROVED their squad. This is a team who was going to be an elite team by simply getting their star QB back. Now, I don't see any team being strong enough to beat them. The Bills? They are relying on virtually the same players to bring them back to respectability. I'm happy that the Bills addressed the interior of their OL. This was long overdue. But moving an average-at-best right tackle to the most important spot on the line--left tackle--is at best incredibly questionable, and at worst criminal for the development of a quarterback who has demonstrated little pocket presence.

I'm afraid the pasting this team took last night is prelude to yet another disappointing year. Can you imagine this team opening the season on national television against the best team in the NFL? Just compare the talent level on each team and tell me about a run in the playoffs this year.

Fellas, please spare me the "it's only preseason" excuse for the embarrassing performance by the Bills last night. Sure, even during the great years of the early '90's, the team lost plenty of exhibition games. The thing is, you always knew that once the real season started, they would play the way they were expected to--with grit and intelligence. What scares me about this current group is that the only reputation they have built is one of consistently poor play. This does not look to me like a team that is out to turn things around and reward its fans for their incredible loyalty for the failures of the past decade. Then again, maybe it's not just apathy that hurts this team. Perhaps it is a problem with talent.

Looked at critically, last season's seven wins were, for the most part, unimpressive. Five of their wins came over losing teams-- K.C., Oakland, St. Louis, Seattle, J-Ville. Their two other wins were against .500 teams (Denver & San Diego).

So how did the team address it's sub-par record vs. an extremely weak schedule? They brought in one aging star and a couple reserves to the offense and two other reserves on defense. What did the Patriots do? This consistently great team, who went 11-5 with an unknown backup QB, went to work and IMPROVED their squad. This is a team who was going to be an elite team by simply getting their star QB back. Now, I don't see any team being strong enough to beat them. The Bills? They are relying on virtually the same players to bring them back to respectability. I'm happy that the Bills addressed the interior of their OL. This was long overdue. But moving an average-at-best right tackle to the most important spot on the line--left tackle--is at best incredibly questionable, and at worst criminal for the development of a quarterback who has demonstrated little pocket presence.

I'm afraid the pasting this team took last night is prelude to yet another disappointing year. Can you imagine this team opening the season on national television against the best team in the NFL? Just compare the talent level on each team and tell me about a run in the playoffs this year.

You've been here since 03? Well I guess you haven't noticed the wave we ride around here, it goes something like this:

End of July early Aug - We rule

Mid to end of Aug - We suck

Early Sept to mid Oct - We rule

End of Oct to mid July - We suck

Then it starts all over. You see now? This is how we do around here :worthy: