40 years after Woodstock...

1billsfan

it's so nice to see this kind of positive, unifying, post racial message and imagery...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-sto...ery=588;page=11

...coming from the music industry.

Pretty catchy tune to riot too. I wonder if Kid Rock is gathering up a posse of KKK members for a retaliation video? Could you imagine the outrage if Rock made a video while singing the lyric...

get your fatigues on,

all white everything,

white cards, white cars,

all white everything,

...in front of a crowd of ALL rednecks with guns, bats and torches????? Could someone please tell me the point of this stinking, heaping, pile of garbage coming from Jay-Z?

I know you are gonna flame me and disagree. But here goes. Oh, it is news alright... Too much news. It is news that would surely inflame even more hate. It is a sticky issue. I surely don't agree with the news inflaming things the other way around either (which of course they do more). Again, I know you don't agree... But, I hold the racial majority to bear more of the burden socially. Like I said, the news has no right exploiting things the other way around either.

Case closed. Two standards for the apologists.

Case closed. Two standards for the apologists.

Wow! :worthy::thumbsup: I must have stuck in your craw... Nice work Jim! Quoting me across boards. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Anyway, it still holds true what I said. The burden is that the racial majority HAS to rise above the fray. Who is pulling the strings in music industry. If it is the racial majority in this case, I am saddened. I know that is a hard burden for you Jim to handle. Is there any other way?

Please don't confuse strength with apology.

So you think.

I am deep Boost... Too deep! A very complicated man! :worthy:

:thumbsup:

I caught flack for saying I could understand you. I was actually doubting myself. Was I really the only one who could understand EII? If so, what did that indicate about me... :thumbsup:

I caught flack for saying I could understand you. I was actually doubting myself. Was I really the only one who could understand EII? If so, what did that indicate about me... :thumbsup:

That you should stop listening to what the board establishment/stereotype says... :thumbsup::blink:

What does that say about you?:

That you are caring person who knows the difference between right and wrong, even over your own personal wants desires, and can realize that you have a certain responsibility to society to do the right thing no matter how hard or inconvienent it is. Even if everybody else around you seems to be going down another path.

The Road Not Taken

:worthy::thumbsup:

Oh sure, because we all know that "rednecks" (btw, not a race of people) were so offended by Jeff Foxworthy's books.

:thumbsup:

Are you a glue sniffer?

You really don't see the powere militant connection here? BTW, I don't agree with it. Isn't it a kill or be killed message they are trying to convey.

Why are people really afraid of that message? It isn't an arms race. Tack around the negative culture and move along.

I am not apologizing either... I find it deploreable. All people can do is take responsibility for their own actions. I just don't understand why this bothers people or that they are fearful. A African-American uprising against the whites? :worthy:

God grant me the serenity

To accept the things I cannot change;

Courage to change the things I can;

And wisdom to know the difference.

You really don't see the powere militant connection here? BTW, I don't agree with it. Isn't it a kill or be killed message they are trying to convey.

Why are people really afraid of that message? It isn't an arms race. Tack around the negative culture and move along.

I am not apologizing either... I find it deploreable. All people can do is take responsibility for their own actions. I just don't understand why this bothers people or that they are fearful. A African-American uprising against the whites? :worthy:

Make up your mind.

Kids listen to, and watch this stuff. It's a glorification of a race-based uprising, of intimidation, inferred violence and rioting. All with a pretty cool toe-tapping beat and a cameo by the widely popular, and kid favorite, Rhiana. Considering the lyric I highlighted and the imagery on the screen, this video should be "torched" by one of Jay-Z's bat wielding thugs. For the very thought of Kid Rock doing the flipside of this would be seen as the biggest, most disgusting and most outrageous blight ever dared foisted upon popular music. Sharpton would be boycotting any and everything associated with the record and video. This is sick and twisted stuff and the sad thing is that most parents will have no idea that their kids are watching this crap. You can shove your double standards you know where.

well, when Ice T released Cop Killer and they had a congressional hearing about it, i was about 13 years old and in prime impressionable status. to this day, i have never killed a police officer or even thought about it.

you can be disgusted with it all you want, but there will ALWAYS be "controversial" music coming from ANY and EVERY minority group that thinks they are even slightly oppressed. doesnt matter what country or political viewpoint. MUSIC will always be a vehicle for revolution and hyperbole.

if you truly find this song troubling, the WORST thing you can hope for is for a national backlash against it. it will only serve to put it directly in the spotlight so that EVERYONE can hear and read the lyrics.

very well put....we do tend to have knee-jerk reactions...rock and roll and everything that has come out of it is all about revolt, protest, etc...

well, when Ice T released Cop Killer and they had a congressional hearing about it, i was about 13 years old and in prime impressionable status. to this day, i have never killed a police officer or even thought about it.

you can be disgusted with it all you want, but there will ALWAYS be "controversial" music coming from ANY and EVERY minority group that thinks they are even slightly oppressed. doesnt matter what country or political viewpoint. MUSIC will always be a vehicle for revolution and hyperbole.

if you truly find this song troubling, the WORST thing you can hope for is for a national backlash against it. it will only serve to put it directly in the spotlight so that EVERYONE can hear and read the lyrics.

very well put....we do tend to have knee-jerk reactions...rock and roll and everything that has come out of it is all about revolt, protest, etc...

dont get me wrong, personally, id rather go with the hippie dippy peace and love route. but not all musicians and artists choose to convey their messages that way. some feel they NEED to push the envelope with regards to being borderline violent in order to get across how big of a point they are making, and how seriously they need change.

my gf and i just watched the 4-hour Woodstock documentary last night. she didnt know anything about the concert or what it stood for. it was also a nice re-visit for me since i grew up hearing about it and i think a lot of the important messages were taken for granted since it had always been a part of my life/knowledge.

the most ironic part of the entire Woodstock weekend/movement was when the kids were saying it was going to stand as the "beginning" of their movement. and really, it ended up turning into the END of it. it was like "Yeah! we proved we CAN do it!... ok, i guess im going to cut my hair and get a job now..."

my gf and i just watched the 4-hour Woodstock documentary last night. she didnt know anything about the concert or what it stood for. it was also a nice re-visit for me since i grew up hearing about it and i think a lot of the important messages were taken for granted since it had always been a part of my life/knowledge.

I watched the two hour special that was on History a couple weeks ago, basically it was parts of the movie mixed with interviews of people that were there. Really interesting. I've driven by Bethel alot in these last 4 years for work and have not stopped at the museum yet, even though I keep thinking about doing it.

what 4 hour documentary are you talking about? i saw the History Channel special...r u talking about the original movie?

dont get me wrong, personally, id rather go with the hippie dippy peace and love route. but not all musicians and artists choose to convey their messages that way. some feel they NEED to push the envelope with regards to being borderline violent in order to get across how big of a point they are making, and how seriously they need change.

the most ironic part of the entire Woodstock weekend/movement was when the kids were saying it was going to stand as the "beginning" of their movement. and really, it ended up turning into the END of it. it was like "Yeah! we proved we CAN do it!... ok, i guess im going to cut my hair and get a job now..."

what 4 hour documentary are you talking about? i saw the History Channel special...r u talking about the original movie?

yeah the movie, its on Comcast On-Demand with (supposedly) over 40 more minutes of performances and interviews. we ordered it last night at midnight, and then i noticed it's run-time was 3:56... i made it through the whole thing. she "got the gist" from the first hour and a half

I remember that too, but I think there's a big difference here. Ice T was a very fringe rapper act at the time. Ironically, that song actually put him on the map. But from what I recall, back then rap wasn't even widely considered a true "music" form yet. Now it is the main music that the younger generation listens too. Especially acts like Jay-Z and Rhiana. These are HUGE music stars. I used to like Jay-Z's music, but this stuff crosses a line. Sorry that I'm not so jaded that I fail to get outraged at stars of this magnitude making a not so subtle Black Panther glorification video.

I remember that too, but I think there's a big difference here. Ice T was a very fringe rapper act at the time. Ironically, that song actually put him on the map. But from what I recall, back then rap wasn't even widely considered a true "music" form yet. Now it is the main music that the younger generation listens too. Especially acts like Jay-Z and Rhiana. These are HUGE music stars. I used to like Jay-Z's music, but this stuff crosses a line. Sorry that I'm not so jaded that I fail to get outraged at stars of this magnitude making a not so subtle Black Panther glorification video.

Remember Michael Jackson's video for his song "Black or White?" Link

I agree that it may be crossing over the line to glorify violence in general, but nothing ever comes of things like this.