Some impressive defensive stats

Rubes

I was going over some of our game stats, since it seemed like our defense has been doing an incredible job this season, particularly in the second half. In fact, our defense has done a pretty amazing job in the second half.

In the last four games, the defense has held the opponent to less than 100 yards of offense in the second half, and has done so in 5 out of the 8 games thus far. Better yet, this defense is averaging 89.75 yards allowed in the second half for the entire season.

That is pretty amazing, particularly when you consider that we have been competitive in every game right up until the end. So no heavily conservative offenses protecting leads in the second half.

Here is the second half yardage breakdown, for those interested:

Jets - 79 yards allowed

Cards - 95 yards allowed

Ravens - 17 yards allowed

Dolphins - 36 yards allowed

Jets - 158 yards allowed

Pats - 143 yards allowed

Raiders - 70 yards allowed

Jags - 120 yards allowed

I can live with that.

Nice Find !  Halftime adjustments have always, to me, been the surest sign that you have quality coaching on your staff. This is of course very encouraging for us!

111682[/snapback]

Granted, 3 out of the last four offenses were pretty putrid, but seeing that the Jets popped 158 on us in the first game and we were able to cut that precisely in half the second time around...well, it just gives a guy hope.

I was going over some of our game stats, since it seemed like our defense has been doing an incredible job this season, particularly in the second half. In fact, our defense has done a pretty amazing job in the second half.

In the last four games, the defense has held the opponent to less than 100 yards of offense in the second half, and has done so in 5 out of the 8 games thus far. Better yet, this defense is averaging 89.75 yards allowed in the second half for the entire season.

That is pretty amazing, particularly when you consider that we have been competitive in every game right up until the end. So no heavily conservative offenses protecting leads in the second half.

Here is the second half yardage breakdown, for those interested:

Jets - 79 yards allowed

Cards - 95 yards allowed

Ravens - 17 yards allowed

Dolphins - 36 yards allowed

Jets - 158 yards allowed

Pats - 143 yards allowed

Raiders - 70 yards allowed

Jags - 120 yards allowed

I can live with that.

111669[/snapback]

Nice job, Rubes. And when you consider that 80 of the Jags' 120 yards came against a prevent defense (that only prevented the Bills from winning).....

:D

A learning experience. So was Santana Moss's easy TD on McGee's slip/fall, when the Bills were playing anything but a prevent D late in the game. I think they'll make adjustments for that, too - perhaps blitz one S but leave the other one in centerfield. And with Vincent coming back and Kelsay starting to really come on strong, I think the defense only continues to get better....

I go back to the Comeback game (conveniently on ESPN right now) - the Bills tried to match up with the Oilers WR packages in the first half and got burned to a crisp; they came out with their base D in the second half and shut Houston down. Put your best players on the field and let 'em play.

One last thing: you single out the last four-game stretch for added praise. Think having Lawyer Milloy back on the field for three of those games might be a factor? I certainly do......

When you consider that the Jags and Jets did most of that damage on their last drive when the D seemed to let up, that is especially impressive.

They could easily have held every team except the Pats to less than 100 yards...

Edit: I really ought to read to the end of the thread...

One last thing: you single out the last four-game stretch for added praise. Think having Lawyer Milloy back on the field for three of those games might be a factor? I certainly do......

111828[/snapback]

Absolutely....though you also have to wonder if Big Sam's tirade on the sideline might have something to do with it as well...

Here's hoping Gray isn't yet another DC who falls prey to that bastard Charlie Weis...

Absolutely....though you also have to wonder if Big Sam's tirade on the sideline might have something to do with it as well...

That's also a good point. Sam has been dyn-o-mite ever since his pine time during the Miami game.

Here's hoping Gray isn't yet another DC who falls prey to that bastard Charlie Weis...

111953[/snapback]

Too true. We're worried about McGee getting flash-fried deep, but if Gray backs him off the line, Weis/Brady will be all over the dink-and-dunk stuff in front of him.