Seth McKinney Doesn't See A Problem With A Young Line.

Steely Dan

Linky

"I've always said that the theory of jelling is a big joke in my mind. If you've got five guys out there that know what they're doing, that's immediate jelling. But if you've got five guys that have been together for 10 years and they don't know what they're doing, that doesn't mean anything.

"As long as you know what you're doing, you're going to jell. And they do [know what they're doing]."

Hope he's right. Conventional wisdom has always supported the jelling thing. I don't know if that's a fan belief or a coach's belief too. Anyway he has a great point about them knowing what to do and that having a much greater effect on the line. So far, IMO, the line has looked good in pre-season. :beer:

This from a career back up. Perhaps it is overplayed but "knowing what you are doing" and gelling do not sound too much different to me.

1) He has 45 career starts in 85 games. So he has started more often than he has sat. So that hardly makes him a "career backup." http://www.nfl.com/players/sethmckinney/ca...ts?id=MCK507237

2) Who's opinion would rather have? Jerry Sullivan, who has never sniffed anything but a jock strap, an internet blogger, or a guy you actually played the game?

2) Who's opinion would rather have? Jerry Sullivan, who has never sniffed anything but a jock strap, an internet blogger, or a guy you actually played the game?

i like the intent of this line, but the delivery takes a lot out of the punch. saying he's never sniffed anything but a jock strap is a comment about what he's sniffed -- not what he's played. it is neither sufficient or necessary to imply he's not an athlete (i.e. sniffing other things than a jock strap doesn't make one an athlete, and having sniffed a jock doesn't mean the guy isn't an athlete). I suggest a line more like "the closest he has ever been to football is sniffing a jock strap" or "never got closer to starting any football game than sniffing a jock strap".

i like the intent of this line, but the delivery takes a lot out of the punch. saying he's never sniffed anything but a jock strap is a comment about what he's sniffed -- not what he's played. it is neither sufficient or necessary to imply he's not an athlete (i.e. sniffing other things than a jock strap doesn't make one an athlete, and having sniffed a jock doesn't mean the guy isn't an athlete). I suggest a line more like "the closest he has ever been to football is sniffing a jock strap" or "never got closer to starting any football game than sniffing a jock strap".

:beer:

What he said. He's an athlete, not an athletic supporter.