Things You Don't See (or Hear) Anymore

Chef Jim

Yeah, okay..."Oh, I have a flat tire. Guess I complete my long-distance trip and then fix it."

Reminds me of one time, driving to Buffalo, my car caught on fire around Corning. I figured I'd finish the drive before putting it out. <_<

Noticed your sig line...I'm sorry for whatever is happening. :thumbsup:

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is the successor of the CONELRAD system.

The Civil Defense icons (symbols, back then) on the radio dial.

I was a member of the Civil Defense. Among my trinkets are a CD lapel pin and my 4" badge with the CD symbol and my number.

Thats pretty cool.

I have one in my garage. It was there when I bought the house. I started to take it down, but opted to leave it, in part because the phone is so old, the phone line is actually hardwired into the body of the phone. No RJ-11 connector.

I have one from the 20s, one of the real old style candlestick phones (looks like this. It was in my grandfather's attic, I took it when he passed away. Along the way, someone has modified it to work by plugging in a modern phone line. During the NYC blackout a few years ago, we plugged it in and it worked to make phone calls and connect with people, as it was one of the few items that did not need to be plugged in. My wife's best friend was able to get in touch with her NYPD husband using this phone. Valuable to keep around.

I have one from the 20s, one of the real old style candlestick phones (looks like this. It was in my grandfather's attic, I took it when he passed away. Along the way, someone has modified it to work by plugging in a modern phone line. During the NYC blackout a few years ago, we plugged it in and it worked to make phone calls and connect with people, as it was one of the few items that did not need to be plugged in. My wife's best friend was able to get in touch with her NYPD husband using this phone. Valuable to keep around.

We have a vintage '40s rotary phone in the master bedroom; my wife keeps bugging me to take it down, but I won't for just the same reason: works when the power's out.

Oh man, that's just sad. I use them too often sometimes. I'll say thank you to someone before I hang up the phone and ask myself....what did I just thank them for? <_<

I get yelled at by my wife when I pay a toll and say thank you---Why are you thanking them for taking tour money?

She's right.

I get yelled at by my wife when I pay a toll and say thank you---Why are you thanking them for taking tour money?

She's right.

When we'd pull into a parking lot when I was a kid and they'd have people directing you were to go my dad would wave at all of them like he knew them. As a kid I was in awe, my dad knew everybody. Now that I'm an old fart I do the same thing and realize he was just being friendly. <_<