Do you like an 18 game regular season?

Vetriano

Do you like an 18 game regular season?  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like an 18 game regular season?

• Yes (the more the better)
    • Yes (but only if they eliminate some preseason)
    • No (16 is perfect)

Guest dog14787
I'd completely agree! Is it just me or is the season starting extremely late this year?

But, you know the players will be arguing for all that money. Again, I'd say the discussion is currently centered around what makes everyone the most money; when it should be centered around what gives us the best sport in the world.

Good argument both ways, the big con to me about adding more regular season games and reducing preseason is evaluating the rookies properly, and yes, regardless of adding a couple more games I do wish the regular season started just a little earlier.

I'd completely agree! Is it just me or is the season starting extremely late this year?

Labor Day is the latest possible date this year, thus the season is starting late. That varies year to year.

I think 16 games is plenty to separate the wheat from the chaff. And I wouldn't want football to start any earlier. It's a fall sport, not a late August sport. And frankly, by the start of February I'm footballed out. I agree they could cut the pre-season schedule down by a game or two, but the regular season is fine at 16 games.

No one cares about the records?

Yes.

[/OJ Simpson]

I voted no I just think too much of a good thing is a bad thing. 16 games plus the playoffs come on how much more do you want. Here is the scenario the league wants you either move the season up two weeks and just end the pre-season two weeks early so no need to extend the season right? But than training camps would have to be bumped up two weeks in order to make up for the lost prep time. So we have training camps in the beginning of July instead of the end of it.

Now If they were to go to a 18 game season I would think that that would be the way to go. HOWEVER my problem is that the players careers would be shortened a lot by that. Essentially I think that the 18 game season adds in 4 more weeks of wear and tear to their bodies by both playing 2 more weeks when they usually would have been playing pre-season and the early start to camp. Over 8 years playing 18 games adds 16 games to the players body essentially you add another season to your schedule.

Players careers are already so short do we want to have running backs (Which if you have a great running you would be lucky to get 8 or 7 years out of them) to have 5 or 6 year careers at best?

Labor Day is the latest possible date this year, thus the season is starting late. That varies year to year.

I think 16 games is plenty to separate the wheat from the chaff. And I wouldn't want football to start any earlier. It's a fall sport, not a late August sport. And frankly, by the start of February I'm footballed out. I agree they could cut the pre-season schedule down by a game or two, but the regular season is fine at 16 games.

Yes.

[/OJ Simpson]

They used to start the season on Labor Day weekend. They now start it the weekend after. It doesn't have to start THIS late.

But, you know the players will be arguing for all that money. Again, I'd say the discussion is currently centered around what makes everyone the most money; when it should be centered around what gives us the best sport in the world.

Of course the players will argue for all the additional money; and the owners will argue that they shouldn't get any of it. If 18 games becomes a reality, they'll split it somewhere in the middle. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see the players' %age of total revenues to increase 1-2% to compensate them for the additional wear and tear they'll take. And they currently get ~60% of the total revenues anyhow, so they WILL necessarily get paid more with more games even if their %age of the pie doesn't increase.

I'd agree with you that ideally the focus SHOULD be on making the NFL a better product, but it hasn't been about that for at least 20 years.

Better solution is to add games to playoff schedule rather than more regular games IMO. Rather than two games before championship games make it three. Players would like this, a better chance to get bonus money, teams who are successful would get more games (add moronic ding on Bills here) and teams whose season is over would not be beating a dead dog (except Eagles). A longer season would just result in more injuries in which teams (meaning fans and advertisers) would be playing players to sit out/

Regarding preseason games, as long as players can hold out because they do want bonus money but not honor terms of contract, are needed to get players in sync. They should agree with NFLPA to large penalties before giving up pre-season games.