Jewelers are such a Rip Off.......

Stl Bills

More of a rant/public service announcement.......never ever buy diamonds from a Jeweler. I'm getting engaged :lol: and I pretty much know what I'm looking for, I customized a ring from Whiteflash.com and all in all I ended up spending around 5k, which was my budget. So last night I'm in the mall with my old lady doing some shopping and I decide to stop in Helzburg diamonds just "to look" at some stuff. She doesn't know I've already bought a ring so I was more or less just trying to reassure myself that I had done my homework and had bought one she would really like (although she not hard to please at all). The ring that she liked was very similar to the one she's getting except that it had a way crappier diamond in every sense.......cut, clarity, color and it was 1/4 carrot smaller. They wanted $8200 for the ring.......WTF :P

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they figure after you take it in the old hind end at the jewelry store, marriage won't seem so bad...so actually jewlers are doing a valuable service for you...... :lol:

More of a rant/public service announcement.......never ever buy diamonds from a Jeweler. I'm getting engaged :P and I pretty much know what I'm looking for, I customized a ring from Whiteflash.com and all in all I ended up spending around 5k, which was my budget. So last night I'm in the mall with my old lady doing some shopping and I decide to stop in Helzburg diamonds just "to look" at some stuff. She doesn't know I've already bought a ring so I was more or less just trying to reassure myself that I had done my homework and had bought one she would really like (although she not hard to please at all). The ring that she liked was very similar to the one she's getting except that it had a way crappier diamond in every sense.......cut, clarity, color and it was 1/4 carrot smaller. They wanted $8200 for the ring.......WTF :lol:

More of a rant/public service announcement.......never ever buy diamonds from a Jeweler. I'm getting engaged :lol: and I pretty much know what I'm looking for, I customized a ring from Whiteflash.com and all in all I ended up spending around 5k, which was my budget. So last night I'm in the mall with my old lady doing some shopping and I decide to stop in Helzburg diamonds just "to look" at some stuff. She doesn't know I've already bought a ring so I was more or less just trying to reassure myself that I had done my homework and had bought one she would really like (although she not hard to please at all). The ring that she liked was very similar to the one she's getting except that it had a way crappier diamond in every sense.......cut, clarity, color and it was 1/4 carrot smaller. They wanted $8200 for the ring.......WTF :P

All jewelry is affectatious, IMO.

More of a rant/public service announcement.......never ever buy diamonds from a Jeweler. I'm getting engaged :P and I pretty much know what I'm looking for, I customized a ring from Whiteflash.com and all in all I ended up spending around 5k, which was my budget. So last night I'm in the mall with my old lady doing some shopping and I decide to stop in Helzburg diamonds just "to look" at some stuff. She doesn't know I've already bought a ring so I was more or less just trying to reassure myself that I had done my homework and had bought one she would really like (although she not hard to please at all). The ring that she liked was very similar to the one she's getting except that it had a way crappier diamond in every sense.......cut, clarity, color and it was 1/4 carrot smaller. They wanted $8200 for the ring.......WTF :lol:

Well that goes without saying. She is marrying you after all. :lol:

And when you got engaged, your wife got a bag of mouse droppings from you?

I'm sure she got a rock. Probably an actual rock, however, as diamonds likely hadn't been discovered. Even if they had, the tools to cut and set diamonds were still centuries away from being invented.

I'm sure she got a rock. Probably an actual rock, however, as diamonds likely hadn't been discovered. Even if they had, the tools to cut and set diamonds were still centuries away from being invented.

What happened to good old fashioned romance.....like a love scroll on papyrus and cattle head for dowry.

Damn, missed out on a possible referral! :P

Excellent call on WhiteFlash. I bought my wife's 15 year anniversary earrings from there. I will NEVER buy another diamond any other way. I am more confident of what I bought there than I would have at any local jeweler at half the cost.

Her earrings are amazing... might be the nicest purchase I ever made. :lol:

More of a rant/public service announcement.......never ever buy diamonds from a Jeweler. I'm getting engaged :lol: and I pretty much know what I'm looking for, I customized a ring from Whiteflash.com and all in all I ended up spending around 5k, which was my budget. So last night I'm in the mall with my old lady doing some shopping and I decide to stop in Helzburg diamonds just "to look" at some stuff. She doesn't know I've already bought a ring so I was more or less just trying to reassure myself that I had done my homework and had bought one she would really like (although she not hard to please at all). The ring that she liked was very similar to the one she's getting except that it had a way crappier diamond in every sense.......cut, clarity, color and it was 1/4 carrot smaller. They wanted $8200 for the ring.......WTF :lol:

Your girl is a rabbit :lol::P

And when you got engaged, your wife got a bag of mouse droppings from you?

No...a lovely 1/4 carat diamond in a very tasteful setting from a neighborhood shop, 50% down in cash, balance paid off in weekly installments and then I took possession. It was a big obligation for a young man back then, to take on such a financial entailment.

Now I see people going together to a shop for a ring and run up 4, 5, 8K or more. People negotiating about this or that style, arguing about whatever. And putting it on the card.

Time was, you would ask a family member to help you out. Usually, your mother. I had no idea about rings, so my mom took me around. She well knew my girl, shopped around and made a fine selection. So I had it in hand when I proposed marriage.

My opinions about expensive jewelry occurred later...so much money tied up in little baubles...for vanity, things to flaunt that one has money to rub in the faces of those without. Money that could be used for housing, food, education and so forth.

You think that's bad. Go the the caribbean jewel shops without all the duty mark ups of the US and see how much cheaper all the jewelry is from major vendors.

Add on several cocktails before hitting the jeweler like my wife and I did our last trip to St. John and it bling, bling, bling all the way home. :lol:

Damn, missed out on a possible referral! :lol:

Excellent call on WhiteFlash. I bought my wife's 15 year anniversary earrings from there. I will NEVER buy another diamond any other way. I am more confident of what I bought there than I would have at any local jeweler at half the cost.

Her earrings are amazing... might be the nicest purchase I ever made. :lol:

I've never heard of WhiteFlash (I'll have to check it out), but I can highly recommend Bluenile.com as well -- got a great deal on my wife's engagement ring, and their customer service was top notch. I ordered from them when they were much smaller, and I would ask for 5-6 diamond certificates a day to see what the GIA ratings were. They'd scan them in and mail them to me every day, as well as answer questions on the phone for me. Highly recommended. :P

Local jewelers are ripoffs.

CW