Can Jauron Change?

billsfan89

Most of the time coaches are who they are but there are occasions where coaches do change who they are as a coach. Can Jauron do this. Could he suddenly become more strict and call more aggressive plays (Did anyone expect us to go to the no huddle)?

The most recent example I have seen of a coach changing himself was Tom Coughlin. Coughlin was a complete hard ass in the Parcells mold. As some might remember when he first got to the Giants he was fining star players for not being early enough to meetings. Than in 2007 he got a little more player friendly (He ran a less tough camp and opened up more around his players) the team responded and they went on a run to win a Super Bowl.

I guess my point is could Jauron change himself from a play calling perspective? Could he blitz more and play tighter coverage on defense? Could he run the no huddle and make it a much more aggressive offense?

Not saying these things will happen (He doesn't seem to have changed his demeanor that much his camp is still soft) but is it possible. I don't think it is likely but he surprised me with the No-huddle so I think a change in, in game approach could happen even if its highly unlikely.

Doubtful but at least the no-huddle is an encouraging sign, b/c for once they appear to be attacking the defense rather than letting the defense dictate the tempo. Also the added bump-and-run we've seen in the preseason is another potential step in the right direction. The problem in years past is that Jauron always talks about being more aggressive, but when the bullets start flying he crawls into a shell. So far this preseason, so good, but when they're down 51-0 at halftime in Foxboro Week 1, I can see him scrapping his entire offseason plan and coaching for the field goals.

There are probably a few dozen human behavioralist types on the board that could speak to the broader question of whether ANYONE changes much once they reach a certain age. I'm well past the age of making major changes in my life, and would only be able to do so if faced with extreme adversity or extreme opportunity.

Jauron's a lot smarter than I am (and, realistically, is moreso than most of the posters on this board), so there's a reasonable shot that he's going to realize that past trends will likely lead to unemployment.

As I've stated in the past, however, I wonder not whether he's going to change, but more specifically whether he's going to develop a killer instinct. (Guess they may be the same thing in a way). When the Bills actually claw their way into a lead in the fourth quarter (e.g......oh, maybe 27-21), does he keep his foot on the gas? Does he keep driving the ball with (e.g.) 5 minutes to go, or does he go for the two-yards-up-the-middle-and-hope-for-a-45-yard-FG?

Don't ever get the idea that Dick Jauron doesn't want to win - and DESPERATELY, within his mental/emotional constraints. But he's obviously made dopey risque plays, and they probably stare him in the face every day. (Remember that idiotic bomb from Losman at the end of the Titans game two years ago? That play alone cost the Bills a shot at the playoffs). Head coaching is NOT something that I could do, nor could well-north-of-99% of the posters on this forum.

Just for comparison's sake, Marv Levy, before he came to Buffalo, was considered a very conservative coach offensively. I lived in Kansas City when he coached the Chiefs. He was most noted for running a three-back offense, staying primarily on the ground, avoiding anything that looked like high-octane football.

When the Bills hired him, having seen what he was like with the Chiefs, I thought he would be as boring as you could imagine, a Woody Hayes style offense, three yards and a cloud of astroturf. Instead he hired Marchibroda, unleashed Kelly, and goes for the no-huddle, and they create one of the most explosive teams in NFL history. You could look it up.

Not that Jauron will do this. Leopards seldom change their spots. But it does happen.

There are probably a few dozen human behavioralist types on the board that could speak to the broader question of whether ANYONE changes much once they reach a certain age. I'm well past the age of making major changes in my life, and would only be able to do so if faced with extreme adversity or extreme opportunity.

Jauron's a lot smarter than I am (and, realistically, is moreso than most of the posters on this board), so there's a reasonable shot that he's going to realize that past trends will likely lead to unemployment.

As I've stated in the past, however, I wonder not whether he's going to change, but more specifically whether he's going to develop a killer instinct. (Guess they may be the same thing in a way). When the Bills actually claw their way into a lead in the fourth quarter (e.g......oh, maybe 27-21), does he keep his foot on the gas? Does he keep driving the ball with (e.g.) 5 minutes to go, or does he go for the two-yards-up-the-middle-and-hope-for-a-45-yard-FG?

Don't ever get the idea that Dick Jauron doesn't want to win - and DESPERATELY, within his mental/emotional constraints. But he's obviously made dopey risque plays, and they probably stare him in the face every day. (Remember that idiotic bomb from Losman at the end of the Titans game two years ago? That play alone cost the Bills a shot at the playoffs). Head coaching is NOT something that I could do, nor could well-north-of-99% of the posters on this forum.

More likely the opposite is true--"past trends" (a near perfect career record of losing seasons) have lead to inexplicable continuous employment for DJ. This was most emphatically reinforced by Ralph's premature negotiation last fall.

More likely the opposite is true--"past trends" (a near perfect career record of losing seasons) have lead to inexplicable continuous employment for DJ. This was most emphatically reinforced by Ralph's premature negotiation last fall.

That's downright Pavlovian.

I am not too sure Coughlin changed all that much. I see no way that Jauron changes, TO's will be wasted and FG's will be the rage. Hopefully, we win despite him.

Coughlin changed enough to keep his job, and win over the players. But he made a conscious and concerted effort to change.

Dick probably can change, and become a little more aggressive with the game plan and play calling. Obviously he is a smart man, but I question his ability to make great decisions under pressure. That will be the hardest thing for him to turn around, if he is contemplating a turn around.

I believe you can always improve, if you have problems with clock mangement , hand the job to somebody that excels at that.

My biggest problem with Jauron is he seems to lost at critcal times during the game.

Not sure you can fix that!

I worry even more about what he does from Monday to Saturday. He makes a lot of decisions during that stretch and the product on the field marches to that drum.

I just find it funny that Jauron gets killed for being conservative. I mean what an idiot not to running the run and shoot with 5 receivers with stud QBs like Losman, McCown, Matthews, and Miller.

This is the best offense (on paper) Jauron has ever had. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

Guest dog14787
I just find it funny that Jauron gets killed for being conservative. I mean what an idiot not to running the run and shoot with 5 receivers with stud QBs like Losman, McCown, Matthews, and Miller.

This is the best offense (on paper) Jauron has ever had. It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

DJ wants the no huddle to go at an even faster pace then its already going which suggests to me he's even willing to sacrifice his defensive capabilities to help the offense which hardly sounds conservative. The coaching staff has also put a strong emphasis on execution this season with the idea you don't need a thick play book to be successful. I believe its a very smart move and that mind set is already starting to help our offense operate more efficiently.

Watching the Bears game I remember having the impression that DJ and actually the whole football team was playing with a different attitude, we are all going to execute properly and get the job done type attitude. I hope its a sign of good things to come.

I am not too sure Coughlin changed all that much. I see no way that Jauron changes, TO's will be wasted and FG's will be the rage. Hopefully, we win despite him.

I agree....Another proof of nothing has changed with Dick....Here is his random quote from Training camp report by Chris BRown.

Dick on TO:

“The way we do it, talk to the player, talk to our medical staff, talk to them about the protocol, ask where it is and then just proceed,” said Jauron. “Clearly he knows his body, and he’s going to level with you how it feels. So we’ll keep taking the next step in the protocol to get it better and we’ll keep the dialogue going to get it better.”

Why not a simple Yes/No..... "in the protocol to get it better".....classic Jauron.

Coughlin's "change" was that he became less of an !@#$. He didn't become a smarter/better tactition.

DJ just isn't a good HC because he isn't bright enough to plan and execute a game. How does this ever change?

Soem of you seem to believe that DJ has been holding back his coaching genius--waiting for the right "talent" to unleash it on.

I worry even more about what he does from Monday to Saturday. He makes a lot of decisions during that stretch and the product on the field marches to that drum.

I disagree. His players sincerely like him and play hard for him-that is a sign he manages Monday - Saturday very well. I agree with an earlier poster, his problem is managing critical game situations. he makes decisions slower when the clock is moving closer to zero.

so can he change? dont think he has to. the no huddle shows he will be aggressive if he has the personel. he just needs to find someone to help manage game time decisions that are clock related a majority of the time.

as i write this...i guess i dont dislike him as much as i thought i did...

I'm not sure when you all decided it was a bad thing to play for a FG win at the end of a game. Sure it would be nice to just run the score up every week like the Pats, but until you have a Pats-like roster, going for it on 4th and 3 is a decision that is going to backfire more often than not.

You guys heap entirely too much criticism on DJ. He is not coaching Madden 2010 here and certainly shouldn't be second guessed by a bunch of forum poster who mistakenly believe themselves to be Vince Lombardi, and who mistakenly believe that the Bills fantastic team has been undermined by inferior coaching. When you looked at the Bills roster the past 4 seasons, what exactly was it that you saw that made you think "hey this is a football team that should win at least 8 games"? Because personally I expected to see 4-5 wins at most during each of the last few seasons, thus my expectations, considering our level of talent as perceived by me, were exceeded, which is why I don't have any problem with how DJ runs the team. This is the first year that on paper we look like a team that could easily win 8 or more games, and so this will be the first year I would be less than pleasantly surprised by a 7-9 season.