Unusual Explanations for the Obesity Epidemic

Wall-E Linky

"But the metaphor only works if you believe familiar myths about the overweight:......It ought to go without saying that this stereotype of the "obese lifestyle" is simply false. How fat you are has a lot more to do with your genes than with your behavior. As much as 80 percent of the variation in human body weight can be explained by differences in our DNA."

I'll reserve comment for now.

I always feel bad for the many fat people putting in 1-2 hours/day at the gym(or working out outside) and/or watching their calories.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone hasn't seen Wall-E (Caught part of it last night) I was unaware of the firestorm of criticism surrounding its depiction of morbidly obese people. Did a little googling on commentary and this one below came up on the first page.

Wall-E Linky

"But the metaphor only works if you believe familiar myths about the overweight:......It ought to go without saying that this stereotype of the "obese lifestyle" is simply false. How fat you are has a lot more to do with your genes than with your behavior. As much as 80 percent of the variation in human body weight can be explained by differences in our DNA."

I'll reserve comment for now.

The bolded number is absurd. While is a lot of interesting and meaningful stuff in that link, I'd love to know where they pulled that number from.

Oh yeah you're absolutely right always give the benefit of the doubt. Because walking from the parking lot to the grocery store is soooooo difficult for a six year old and then expect them to walk all around the grocery store after that long, long walk from the car is tough. I really see what you're saying. How could I have been so thoughtless to criticize you holier than thou people who have or are raising children. What ever was I thinking?

I am a parent and I back you up. I walk all over the place and when my daughter couldn't walk, I carried her. Once she could walk, we walked. We had a rarely-used stroller.

The reason most parents use strollers is because they can't make it over the "I don't wanna walk" whining. Not me. My response to that was simple. "We're walking." That included an August Disney trip a while ago when she was 3. We walked all over the parks in 95 degree heat. I let her ride my shoulders every once in a while just for fun but she marched over all of those parks.

I am a parent and I back you up. I walk all over the place and when my daughter couldn't walk, I carried her. Once she could walk, we walked. We had a rarely-used stroller.

The reason most parents use strollers is because they can't make it over the "I don't wanna walk" whining. Not me. My response to that was simple. "We're walking." That included an August Disney trip a while ago when she was 3. We walked all over the parks in 95 degree heat. I let her ride my shoulders every once in a while just for fun but she marched over all of those parks.

I'm sure for some theres also a bit of the "I want to keep them young forever" mentality.

on a serious note...I go along with you on this. When my kids were little, really little we used a stroller, but to be honest, after they learned to walk, they didn't like it and were always struggling to get out, so we let them. We rarely used strollers, more hassle than they were worth. All our kids walked before 18 months so we needed some extreme patience. :thumbdown:

Oh yeah you're absolutely right always give the benefit of the doubt. Because walking from the parking lot to the grocery store is soooooo difficult for a six year old and then expect them to walk all around the grocery store after that long, long walk from the car is tough. I really see what you're saying. How could I have been so thoughtless to criticize you holier than thou people who have or are raising children. What ever was I thinking?

:thumbdown:

I just messing with you. Totally out of my character how I replied (the you don't have children part). I just figured I'd give it a whirl to see how the other half does it!

;)

Exactly... It is the parent... I hated toting a stroller, total PIA. Most of the time if we went out where ther is lots of hiking, I used a backpacky (Kelty Carrier) thing when they were young.

My wife and I used to hike at a wilderness park across from our house in Orange county. Most of the time we'd see parents on bikes with their kids in tow in some sort of canopied cart. And these sometimes were not toddlers, these were kids that were old enough to be riding a bike. And every now and then you see a mother, father and some kid wobbling along and you could just tell they had the training wheels on the week before. The smile on the kid's face couldn't be beat. You were sure any minute they were going to crash and burn but they never did. Oh wait, I've never raised a child so I shouldn't judge.

The bolded number is absurd. While is a lot of interesting and meaningful stuff in that link, I'd love to know where they pulled that number from.

I briefly looke dover the links the article gave, but can't say I really read it. I agree, the number seems absurd. I'm not discounting that there truly are people out there with genuine obesity related medical conditions, but to say that 80% is genetics related seems like a blanket excuse of "not my fault."

I briefly looke dover the links the article gave, but can't say I really read it. I agree, the number seems absurd. I'm not discounting that there truly are people out there with genuine obesity related medical conditions, but to say that 80% is genetics related seems like a blanket excuse of "not my fault."

I scanned over the links too. I'd say it's pretty telling that there wasn't one that went along with that 80% number they threw out there.

Yeah, I'm sure there are people out there who are so unlucky to have drawn the genetic short straw and will struggle with the obesity battle, but it's going to be a relatively small number. The 80% thing, like you said, is a dangerous number to throw out there because people will think they have no chance. I've been working with people lately who are putting together surveys about the genetic risk of diabetes. The big question is always how these people are going to respond if they're told they're high/low risk. So many people seem to think it's set in stone since they have no idea what risk means.

My wife and I used to hike at a wilderness park across from our house in Orange county. Most of the time we'd see parents on bikes with their kids in tow in some sort of canopied cart. And these sometimes were not toddlers, these were kids that were old enough to be riding a bike. And every now and then you see a mother, father and some kid wobbling along and you could just tell they had the training wheels on the week before. The smile on the kid's face couldn't be beat. You were sure any minute they were going to crash and burn but they never did. Oh wait, I've never raised a child so I shouldn't judge.

Exactly... WTF do you know? ;) Now go cook me some slop! And make it a pot pie! :thumbdown:

Next you will be commenting on helmets.

I scanned over the links too. I'd say it's pretty telling that there wasn't one that went along with that 80% number they threw out there.

Yeah, I'm sure there are people out there who are so unlucky to have drawn the genetic short straw and will struggle with the obesity battle, but it's going to be a relatively small number. The 80% thing, like you said, is a dangerous number to throw out there because people will think they have no chance. I've been working with people lately who are putting together surveys about the genetic risk of diabetes. The big question is always how these people are going to respond if they're told they're high/low risk. So many people seem to think it's set in stone since they have no idea what risk means.

I wonder what happens when you mix in the myriad of prescription medicines out there... I have been on blood pressure medicine since I was 20! No matter what my diet or age... BP has been a problem, I used to get check regulary in high school to boot! My father and brother are also on it too... I was always tall and skinny... I still carry my greater weight well on my bigger frame... Yet... Ever since a doctor switched my medicine 10 years back, I noticed my weight go crazy... He said, it didn't have anyting to do with it! :thumbdown: Ever since that, I have been having trouble which I never did before (i underestand part of it is age, exercise, and diet). It was phucking LoPressor (which I assume supresses your metabolism). Since being on other blood pressure types, I do have an easier time with losing weight.

Thanks Cincy... Will do!

Part of the problem IS my fault... 11 years ago I was 31 years old, very fit... Been on BP meds for 11 years without problem... Then I started getting headaches after my first child was born (insert jokes here)... I went to urgent care and the doc there switched me to LoPressor... I didn't ask questions, I figured what harm can it do? I gained a ton of weight fast, abnormally fast... Went back to my doc and told him... He said, no... Same BS, diet exercise whatever... I believed him being that my son was just born... No luck. I did notice it was easier to lose when I finally asked him to change the med. And now the thing that pumps me is, I read that LoPressor can have some arthritis flare up. I was diagnosed with JRA young... You think the doc would have asked me? Yet, really the responsibility is ON ME! I didn't freakin' know.

Statistically speaking, "as much as 80%" means that 80% was the highest number they have seen in whatever trial they were running. They give no indication what the mean or median was in their studies. Here in the lab, i can make numbers look real good with phrases like "as much as." For example, one of my first experiments was to seed cells onto 3-D scaffolds. I had a trial where i seeded 78% of the cells, so i could use the same bull sh-- they did and say "as much as 78% of the cells are seeded." In reality, the average seeding was about 41%.

Secondly, genetics don't make you do obese. They pre-dispose you to certain conditions. Some people are never going to be skinny. But, with diet and exercise, they can keep their weight at a normal, healthy level. Some people are going to have to work harder than others due to their pre-disposition. But the fat phux blaming their obesity on genetics are simply being lazy and not taking care of themselves. Genetics don't cause you to sit on the couch and not exercise all day.

There's a lady in my girlfriends office who goes about 3 bills. I'm not lying when i say she eats chicken fingers and french fries at least 3 times per week. Yet, she's fat "because she has diabetes and all these medical problems."

Helmets = GAY!

:thumbdown:

Ya... I can see the argument both ways. What you say is what my 11 year old son says... We have lost that battle. Now my 7 year daughter wears hers relgiously.

I guess seltbelts are gay too? I want to ride around in my Jeep, no vehicle top on, doors off... Totally looks gay if you have to buckle yourself in from falling out... After all, I got my hands on the steering wheel!... Ya, right... ;)

And for the record I am AGAINST helmet and seatbelt laws of any kind. :rolleyes: