Unusual Explanations for the Obesity Epidemic

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, thanks. I was worried about zapping the juices out of them and having them get tough and dry on me.

Well if you're concerned about that just put the chicken in your back pocket while you sit at your desk. Nice and warmed up by lunch time. :lol:

Uh...hygiene, medical acumen, infant mortality then was not-quite-like the 20th century. Replacement kids were constantly being popped out to support societies that were nearly 100% dependent on manual labor. And infanticide was common, if it meant excess mouths to feed.

So what you're saying is that there was some built-in excuse for awful behavior? Raping, and underage sex were OK because society craved more kids?

In your pre-Johnson glory years (which I guess was about a decade long...before Johnson and after the worst of the industrial revolution), most of the behavior you're complaining about (high skirts and loose morals) was not talked about. You thin Catholic priests just started fiddling with boys in the last 15 years? You think domestic violence is rising because people are worse now? You think DWIs weren't happening? Substance abuse was something solved by a visit from your brother? Negative. We're just not hiding behind your idealized white picket fence anymore.

Sometime in the future, I'll tell you more about 'ol Lyndon and his strategy. So you will have another opportunity to be snide.

Oh yes: Please lecture us all pop pop.

So what you're saying is that there was some built-in excuse for awful behavior? Raping, and underage sex were OK because society craved more kids?

In your pre-Johnson glory years (which I guess was about a decade long...before Johnson and after the worst of the industrial revolution), most of the behavior you're complaining about (high skirts and loose morals) was not talked about. You thin Catholic priests just started fiddling with boys in the last 15 years? You think domestic violence is rising because people are worse now? You think DWIs weren't happening? Substance abuse was something solved by a visit from your brother? Negative. We're just not hiding behind your idealized white picket fence anymore.

Oh yes: Please lecture us all pop pop.

Take a deep breath, JA. It's obvious that this is a hot button thing for you. Don't bust a gut, my friend.

And I'm pretty sure you've captured the pop pop Lecture Prize in this thread. Here are some excerpts of your numerous posts to numerous members:

-Assuming you don't have a mental disorder, which is a different category of people, it actually IS simple. If you're a fat !@#$, eat less and exercise more. If your weight doesn't go down, eat even less and exercise even more.

-So even if you can't count calories, which is pretty !@#$ing easy, losing weight is not that hard. It's more about self-control than brains.

-People like fat and bad-for-them foods sometime. It's their fault if they always eat unhealthy foods or overeat. I love Pizza, chicken wings, and beer but it's my own stupid fault if I eat that crap all the time. It's no one else's fault.

-No, it is that simple. When I had no money, I still had plenty of money enough to not eat McDs and frozen foods unless I chose to. Buying a chicken breast and a gallon of 2% is not that hard. Maybe the Fuji apple is expensive but the Macintosh isn't.

-Stop making excuses for people. Have faith in them instead.

-Bull. sh--.

-I work with some of the poorest families in North Philly. Some have no furniture. You make excuses for them but I haven't met one yet who didn't have time to cook a meal. Not one.

-But I've met a ton of them who have cable and watch a ton of TV.

-I blame the individual. Sorry that I have faith in people like that.

-He was giving an example of how you can work to make anything taste good.

-You can cook a chicken breast and mix it withjarred sauce in less than 10 minutes. Add a vegetable (even frozen) a chunk of bread and some milk and you have a nice meal. 15 minutes tops. And it's not like all 15 of those minutes require you to stand over the stove. You can get it started and still watch TV.

-You people who feel the need to make excuses for fat people should have a little more faith in them.

-Me too. Cause I'm so rich that I can afford $10 worth of chicken.

-And when I advocate that their kids be removed from the home (which happens occasionally) I always point to that conversation and the luxuries that the mom can afford instead of feeding their kid a good meal.

-Buck up and stop making excuses for people. Have some faith in them. They can fix things themselves--outside influences are influences--in the end, they choose their own path.

-That's not true except in some disneyfied 1950s TV land.

-I know this is part of your world-is-going-to-hell-in-a-handbasket mentality but stop and think about some of these things some time. Just because you see something bad in the world doesn't mean it's always worse than it used to be or that things were once upon a time so much better.

-Tieing the death of your fantasyland to Johnson is really a stretch.

-So what you're saying is that there was some built-in excuse for awful behavior? Raping, and underage sex were OK because society craved more kids?

-In your pre-Johnson glory years (which I guess was about a decade long...before Johnson and after the worst of the industrial revolution), most of the behavior you're complaining about (high skirts and loose morals) was not talked about. You thin Catholic priests just started fiddling with boys in the last 15 years? You think domestic violence is rising because people are worse now? You think DWIs weren't happening? Substance abuse was something solved by a visit from your brother? Negative. We're just not hiding behind your idealized white picket fence anymore.

Take a deep breath, JA. It's obvious that this is a hot button thing for you. Don't bust a gut, my friend.

And I'm pretty sure you've captured the pop pop Lecture Prize in this thread. Here are some excerpts of your numerous posts to numerous members:

Come on pop pop, pontificate on Johnson for all of us.

Sorry, pal. It's a lengthy thing, and I'm sure not going to dance attendance to your snit-fit finger snaps.

No doubt, your next reply will be along the childish lines of "HA! You won't answer! I win! I win!"

I love your avatar. That you recognize yourself in it makes me say this, honestly. Sorry for popping off. I mean, not sorry in a way that we should sing Kumbaya around the campfire but sorry in a way that means I should buy you a beer.

That you don't recognize that I change avatars from time to time for comedic value, now seems to be one of your problems.

I gather from your posts, that you have some sort of employment connected with social services. Take a glance in a mirror - you are currently fist-fighting with a jerk at the other end of an internet connection.

Take another glance. Perhaps a long stare. You need that, if I irk you so. If I'm what you consider an enemy, you are fortunate indeed.

Ply your trade, stop preaching about folks that have a few pounds on them - what a great nation we have, that that is possible - and get rid of that chip on your shoulder.

You can't take an apology? You truly are a !@#$ing !@#$. Wonder why you think the world sucks? Go look in a mirror yourself you classless douche.

You can't take an apology? You truly are a !@#$ing !@#$. Wonder why you think the world sucks? Go look in a mirror yourself you classless douche.

"I saw no apology."

But that's the problem with this text pecking on this internet, eh? We go off on tangents, with our distance and insulation.

The classless douche removes his previous post.

Cut down on the high-fructose corn syrup, eat moderate portions, and excercise. WTF is with folks looking to blame sh--.

At the Wal-Mart check out today the lady in front of me was buying 3 large frozen cheese pizzas, 2 bags of Lay's sour cream & onion chips and two pints of Helluva Good dip. Guess her weight.

PTR