76 members have voted

1. 1. What should I do about it?

• Be honored
    • Ask for credit
    • Ask for "goodies"
    • Ask for $
    • Ask for it to be removed
    • Not worth doing anything

I think whoever "borrowed" that picture for TKO's site should have read the http://www.webshots.com/html/terms.html page first. Especially this part:

YOU MAY NOT copy, reproduce, retransmit, distribute, publish, commercially exploit or otherwise transfer any copyrighted material in any format, electronic or otherwise, except as allowed by the Webshots Photo Messages service. YOU MAY NOT use the photos for personal websites, books, magazines, greeting cards, PowerPoint presentations, or calendars.

That said, though, if I were you I'd be flattered, not upset. But if you want to ask them to credit you (and maybe provide a link back to TBD? :)) Go for it.....

That's why I made sure to put a © on the site I slapped together for Bob's wedding pictures. I'm sure they'll end up all over the world, but at least he's on record as the copyright holder.

The question is whether a player is entitled to use his own image.  He could argue you were using his image without permission.  That's one for the lawyers.  I have a hunch TKO can afford better ones than you.

PTR

111267[/snapback]

I would agree... The real issue would be if YOU were using his image on a publication and TKO didn't approve of it.

The question is whether a player is entitled to use his own image.  He could argue you were using his image without permission.  That's one for the lawyers.  I have a hunch TKO can afford better ones than you.

PTR

111267[/snapback]

Actually, if TKO was in public (and he was), then you have free use to photograph him without permission because he's a celebrity. Now if you take a picture of me in public, you can't (technically) use it without permission because I'm not a celebrity. Weird, no?

I'd send TKO an email and ask him for some credit - and maybe an autographed photo or something. :) No harm in asking!

CW

I think you should write him an email and say you are honored he is using the photo you took of him on his web site. Then extend the offer to provide additional photos for his use. Perhaps you could make some suggestions. You could tell him you are a big fan since way back when he was with Cinci. Sure.

Bottom Line: Be nice about it. He might take you up on your offer and that could be your foot in the same door you just might get shut in your face if you took a negative attitude about the use of your photo.

It is cool though ~ someone quasi-famous ripped you off !

What a cheap punk for using your pic. You should get something for that and not back down. Confront him in the parking lot. Don't let these pampered athletes walk all over you.

You have a sex toy party to attend and need some quick cash. He'll understand. :)

I bet they did a google image search on his name and just put up anything that wasn't on a "news agency" site. Funny thing is, I do a google search on "Takeo Spikes" and the first site that comes up is something called cootiehog.com ...? :)

Tell him that he owes you a plate at the next WNYTBDGPS meeting :(

Actually, if TKO was in public (and he was), then you have free use to photograph him without permission because he's a celebrity.  Now if you take a picture of me in public, you can't (technically) use it without permission because I'm not a celebrity.  Weird, no?

We really do live in a fugged up country. :)