Why do some people still hang on to the 1950's?

BuffaloBill

I tend to agree with this if for no other reason Buffalo has a long uphill climb due to weather. It is hard to sell 5 months of tough weather. However, water and moderation of temperature in the summer months are advantages that may play to some audiences.

In some ways, the heat here (Dallas) in the summer months is every bit as oppressive as winter. The prime difference is that while uncomfortable at times the heat does not prevent you from getting out (you do not get snowbound). However, even if by perception (for those that want to debate global warming - an issue I am not looking to get into) even the natives here will tell you that it is getting hotter and they are looking for ways to "get out" and away from it (Colorado is the prime destination for many).

Water supplies that can't sustain population growths are also coming into play.

Don't forget Buffalo, outside of taxes, is also becoming an affordable city to live in. This is a factor than drove many people south (to sunbelt cities) to begin with.

Personally, I highly doubt I would be entertaining any sort of return ther myself if I were not from the region. To be honest, if the Bills leave I still may not return.

Not exactly south... I pay higher taxes and for utilites in Illinois than NYS... I would say I get less services than I would in... WNY too. I think it was lack of economy that drove people away. BFLO's population was artifically inflated during the WWII years.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:censored: that's pretty funny - seriously

However, you fail to recognize that the ease of travel and accessibility of the cities that lie between Boston to DC corridor has been a source of leverage in the challenge to diversify economies and slow population declines.

Buffalo is a city that is a shadow of its former self. If it wants to stop the decline or even try to reverse it it must play off of every advantage it has.

When was the last time you drove from Niagara Falls around the lake to Toronto? There has been impressive econmic and residential expansion over the very period when the opposite has been true in Buffalo. Buffalo would be foolish not to try to figure out how to best tap into this and become the US extension to the "golden horseshoe."

No, I recognize it.

It's just amusing that ANY city would use "You can leave" as a marketing point. Except maybe Orlando.

No, I recognize it.

It's just amusing that ANY city would use "You can leave" as a marketing point. Except maybe Orlando.

Don't most cities?

SF has the wine country

NYC has the Hamptons and New England

Boston has the surrounding history tied to the pilgrims and revolutionary war

DC has the Chesapeak Bay

Miami has the everglades and the keys

New orleans has ... oh wait my theory has some gaps

Just sayin ...

Don't most cities?

SF has the wine country

NYC has the Hamptons and New England

Boston has the surrounding history tied to the pilgrims and revolutionary war

DC has the Chesapeak Bay

Miami has the everglades and the keys

New orleans has ... oh wait my theory has some gaps

Just sayin ...

youre right, except in Buffalo's case, it is the wine country not the big city. and without the specialized industry/attraction/history. or at least it is not organized and marketed enough.

interesting point that brings up. besides the food and the people, what is Buffalo's "thing"?

i might argue that it is art and architecture. and i think, if there was a plan to develop it, that angle might work to some point.

i dont know, what do you guys think it's marketing niche should/would be?

given it's history, yes. but it is hard to deny that Buffalo would make a great place to spend the summer months if you know the city and arent prejudging it. funny thing is, this weekend a bunch of friends were just discussing how the mega millions is up to $170million and we all agreed if we had the money, we would spend our summers in Buffalo.

no doubt, it's a pipedream to think the city could attract such a crowd. but you gotta aim high. as opposed to aiming for the bottom of the Erie Canal which is where the local politicians have been driving the area.

i dont think it's THAT ridiculous of a goal.

Holy crap, if I had $170 million the last place I'd spend my summers was in Buffalo. Unless of course to drop off the odd million to my family. Good god man with that kind of money you could summer anywhere, hell I'd probably not even summer in Napa seeing I've been there. South of France maybe? Tuscany? Paris? London? Buffalo?? :lol:

Holy crap, if I had $170 million the last place I'd spend my summers was in Buffalo. Unless of course to drop off the odd million to my family. Good god man with that kind of money you could summer anywhere, hell I'd probably not even summer in Napa seeing I've been there. South of France maybe? Tuscany? Paris? London? Buffalo?? :lol:

France and all would be nice for a few weeks at a time, but id still use Buffalo as my launching pad. that way i can get back for Bills camp, and be able to take my friends/family to the fair and out for Thursday in the Square, and all that stuff. not get too crazy. just be able to actually live a simple happy life, and yet have the freedom to do whatever you want, as expensive as you want. i think Buffalo would be a great homebase of operations for that cause it would keep me grounded too. come back for a couple weeks, catch a preseason game and the Fair, take off to New Zealand, etc.

plus, youre not going to have $170million, youre going to have $80million. which is still a lot of money, yes. but even smarter people than you and i have lost that much.

There was a time when Buffalo was THE place to summer for the obscenely wealthy.

Of course, it was 100 years ago, when it took an entire summer just to get to Tuscany.

France and all would be nice for a few weeks at a time, but id still use Buffalo as my launching pad. that way i can get back for Bills camp, and be able to take my friends/family to the fair and out for Thursday in the Square, and all that stuff. not get too crazy. just be able to actually live a simple happy life, and yet have the freedom to do whatever you want, as expensive as you want. i think Buffalo would be a great homebase of operations for that cause it would keep me grounded too. come back for a couple weeks, catch a preseason game and the Fair, take off to New Zealand, etc.

plus, youre not going to have $170million, youre going to have $80million. which is still a lot of money, yes. but even smarter people than you and i have lost that much.

pffft! I did that last week!

You give me $80 mill and I'll give you $4 million of income every year....guaranteed for the rest of your life. You blow through that and you deserve to summer in Buffalo. :lol:

haha no doubt, seems easy. anything can happen though, right? :lol:

Don't get me wrong I've heard the stories about people that blow through all of their winnings. Not me...I give a million each to my parents and five siblings, wife's parents and her brother and leaves me with $70 mil and I'm living the good life in the Caribbean with guaranteed income.

Don't get me wrong I've heard the stories about people that blow through all of their winnings. Not me...I give a million each to my parents and five siblings, wife's parents and her brother and leaves me with $70 mil and I'm living the good life in the Caribbean with guaranteed income.

yep, numbers have been drawn. wish me luck :lol:

youre right, except in Buffalo's case, it is the wine country not the big city. and without the specialized industry/attraction/history. or at least it is not organized and marketed enough.

interesting point that brings up. besides the food and the people, what is Buffalo's "thing"?

i might argue that it is art and architecture. and i think, if there was a plan to develop it, that angle might work to some point.

i dont know, what do you guys think it's marketing niche should/would be?

so back to the topic at hand...

Well it is quite unfair especially at a time when the state could use the funds. I'm not saying giving a tax break is a bad idea but this does seem to go a bit too far. Seven years of no taxes and then three of reduced? How about seven years reduced and then re-evaluated after that? And this coming from someone who is all for tax breaks.

the state of new york can always use funds...thing is if they keep the tax structure like it is there will be no one of any means spending money in the state.

You know how many businesses these people will support in Buffalo?? -The best way to make it fair is to reduce everyones property taxes. See what happens. Right now with the highest tax rates in the country western new york is completely broke. What does that tell you??That perhaps plan B is in order??

western New York/New York needs to drastically reduce its tax rates...Buffalo is the 2nd poorest city in the country with a metro population over 1 million.Congrats New orleans!!!