Auto help needed

Bmwolf21

My 8 year old, 130K mile Outback had the compressor go a couple of years ago and I was in the same situation - looking at a huge cost to put a new compressor in an older car - I didn't need a new compressor to last another 8-10 years - I wouldn't be driving it then!

No way was I going to go without AC, and no way was I going to drop $1000. I was able to find a used compressor on the Net and had a mechanic install it, all for about $400 - not cheap, but also not a grand. Mechanic said he was impressed at the condition of the compressor - said it was a good find and should last many years.

Good luck!

My 8 year old, 130K mile Outback had the compressor go a couple of years ago and I was in the same situation - looking at a huge cost to put a new compressor in an older car - I didn't need a new compressor to last another 8-10 years - I wouldn't be driving it then!

No way was I going to go without AC, and no way was I going to drop $1000. I was able to find a used compressor on the Net and had a mechanic install it, all for about $400 - not cheap, but also not a grand. Mechanic said he was impressed at the condition of the compressor - said it was a good find and should last many years.

Good luck!

Thanks. The link Tcali threw up here earlier shows a remanufactured compressor for almost half the cost of the one the mechanic quoted me. I have to see if this place will install it if I get the compressor elsewhere.

On a side note - this will make EiI happy - apparently this is becoming a big problem with Honda CR-V's. I saw a huge thread - 132 pages and counting - on Edmunds.com, detailing a number of Honda CR-V owners who have had a boatload of problems with their AC compressors "blowing up" as soon as 25,000 miles or breaking down much earlier than they should, and some have even blown up to the point that it damaged their entire AC systems. It seems quite a few mechanics are starting to think that this is a design flaw, so a lot of customers have been putting pressure on Honda to offer some sort of extended warranty coverage/assistance with repair costs. Some customers have been successful, so I am going to have to try my hand at it and see if I have any luck getting any consideration from Honda.

Thanks. The link Tcali threw up here earlier shows a remanufactured compressor for almost half the cost of the one the mechanic quoted me. I have to see if this place will install it if I get the compressor elsewhere.

On a side note - this will make EiI happy - apparently this is becoming a big problem with Honda CR-V's. I saw a huge thread - 132 pages and counting - on Edmunds.com, detailing a number of Honda CR-V owners who have had a boatload of problems with their AC compressors "blowing up" as soon as 25,000 miles or breaking down much earlier than they should, and some have even blown up to the point that it damaged their entire AC systems. It seems quite a few mechanics are starting to think that this is a design flaw, so a lot of customers have been putting pressure on Honda to offer some sort of extended warranty coverage/assistance with repair costs. Some customers have been successful, so I am going to have to try my hand at it and see if I have any luck getting any consideration from Honda.

:wallbash: Hey what can I say! The Japs hide things well. Deny, deny, deny... Don't honor the warranty because while they were denying a problem, your ride just stepped out of warranty. "Look at all the other owners, they don't have a problem." Not as bad as Toyota engines sludging up though. :lol: