I need some lawn care help

zevo

My lawn is showing patches of brown and it is spreading. It is not from burning out or not from enough water as we have had plenty of rain this season. I have treated the lawn myself this year starting with a crab grass preventer, weed control fertilizer and a shot of turf builder with iron. I dont really know what it is or what to do. I am located in Western New York if that helps. Any thoughts?

My lawn is showing patches of brown and it is spreading. It is not from burning out or not from enough water as we have had plenty of rain this season. I have treated the lawn myself this year starting with a crab grass preventer, weed control fertilizer and a shot of turf builder with iron. I dont really know what it is or what to do. I am located in Western New York if that helps. Any thoughts?

yes

you should be paying attention to the Bills game instead of talking about your yard. :wallbash:

I agree it sounds like grubs. You did not mention pesticides. Take a spade and check the sod, if it is grubs you will see them.

What is unusual is that if your lawn has enough fertilizer and there has been plenty of rain, usually grubs will feast on the sod, but not actually brown it out. That is more common when it is very dry and the sod is weak.

Sorry I was not much help. :)

I agree it sounds like grubs. You did not mention pesticides. Take a spade and check the sod, if it is grubs you will see them.

What is unusual is that if your lawn has enough fertilizer and there has been plenty of rain, usually grubs will feast on the sod, but not actually brown it out. That is more common when it is very dry and the sod is weak.

Sorry I was not much help. :unsure:

Here in Central VA what you descibe is usually a fungus. If you have been getting a lot of rain the afternoon, fungus can tell to grow in the grass and thus the brown spots. I have them in my yard this year as well, but vnot near as bad as some of my neighbors. Not sure what they use, but I have two applicatiopns of fungicide spayed..do a googler on lawn fungus should answer your questions

Here in Central VA what you descibe is usually a fungus. If you have been getting a lot of rain the afternoon, fungus can tell to grow in the grass and thus the brown spots. I have them in my yard this year as well, but vnot near as bad as some of my neighbors. Not sure what they use, but I have two applicatiopns of fungicide spayed..do a googler on lawn fungus should answer your questions

That is what I was gong to to say ... especially with the rain. Also if you are getting standing water after rains it can cause the same problem.

Take some pictures to a local nursery they will likely know best.

Certainly sounds like grubs. We had them in our old house in West Seneca. There are a variety of compounds that you can use to fix this. Check out any garden center or your local Lowes/Hme Depot . . .

It won't be an overnight fix, but you should treat it now so that it doesn't get snow mold over the winter . . .