Fantasy Football auction strategy

Fezmid

Ok, I'm getting into a new league with some friends. It's going to be a keeper league (able to keep 3-4 players), the first year will be an auction -- but it looks like future years will be regular drafts.

I've been saying that I think all years should be auction years, and that keeping players should count against the salary cap, but it's sounding like that probably won't happen.

So my thought was to try and buy 2-4 of the top rated players, fill the rest of my roster with scrubs this year, keep those 3 guys for next year and have a very good roster next year. Could be risky if someone had a career ending injury or something this season, but I could potentially get 3 top players for the next few seasons if I did it.

Anyone else ever had a league setup this way? Seems goofy to me, and kinda like I'm cheating the system... :rolleyes:

Key to an auction draft...patience and nominate players you dont want

Yeah, I know that -- but isn't it a bit odd to have an auction to start the league, and then a straight draft in the second year (with the ability to keep 3-4 of your auction-gotten players)?

Like I said, seems like it'd be easy to cheat the system... Or am I overlooking something?

Yeah, I know that -- but isn't it a bit odd to have an auction to start the league, and then a straight draft in the second year (with the ability to keep 3-4 of your auction-gotten players)?

Like I said, seems like it'd be easy to cheat the system... Or am I overlooking something?

What you are overlooking, is that all your buddies are expecting to be able to do the same thing. :rolleyes:

What you are overlooking, is that all your buddies are expecting to be able to do the same thing. :rolleyes:

I think you're overestimating them.... I mentioned this idea to the commissioner and co-commish, and the idea had never crossed their minds.

I should've kept my mouth shut... <_<

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's my team. I think I might be a little light on RB (hopefully Fred Jackson's thumb isn't a problem...), but overall I think it's a decent squad. The only thing I think I did wrong was buying two QBs too early -- I should've let Kurt Warner go to the other team and kept that money for a better HB. Oh well, live and learn.

It's a 12 man league, 1 QB, 2RB, 2WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF.

Rivers, Philip SDC QB

Jackson, Steven STL RB

Moreno, Knowshon DEN RB

White, Roddy ATL WR

Colston, Marques NOS WR

Gonzalez, Tony ATL TE

Lindell, Rian BUF PK

Patriots, New England NEP Def <--- Should be worth about 50 points in week 1. :)

Warner, Kurt ARI QB

Owens, Terrell BUF WR

Bush, Reggie NOS RB

Parker, Willie PIT RB

Ginn Jr., Ted MIA WR

Jackson, Fred BUF RB

Well, here's my team. I think I might be a little light on RB (hopefully Fred Jackson's thumb isn't a problem...), but overall I think it's a decent squad. The only thing I think I did wrong was buying two QBs too early -- I should've let Kurt Warner go to the other team and kept that money for a better HB. Oh well, live and learn.

Rivers, Philip SDC QB

Jackson, Steven STL RB

Moreno, Knowshon DEN RB

White, Roddy ATL WR

Colston, Marques NOS WR

Gonzalez, Tony ATL TE

Lindell, Rian BUF PK

Patriots, New England NEP Def <--- Should be worth about 50 points in week 1. :)

Warner, Kurt ARI QB

Owens, Terrell BUF WR

Bush, Reggie NOS RB

Parker, Willie PIT RB

Ginn Jr., Ted MIA WR

Jackson, Fred BUF RB

Not bad for an auction draft. Snag Pierre Thomas or Mendenhall if still available.

Not bad for an auction draft. Snag Pierre Thomas or Mendenhall if still available.

They were both taken. Ironically, I got Steven Jackson for only $20 -- and Pierre Thomas went for $19. So I think I did well there. :)

Mendenhall went for $6.

It was a $100 salary cap to fill 14 positions.

Rivers, Philip SDC QB

Jackson, Steven STL RB

Moreno, Knowshon DEN RB

White, Roddy ATL WR

Colston, Marques NOS WR

Gonzalez, Tony ATL TE

Lindell, Rian BUF PK

Warner, Kurt ARI QB

Owens, Terrell BUF WR

Bush, Reggie NOS RB

Parker, Willie PIT RB

Ginn Jr., Ted MIA WR

Jackson, Fred BUF RB

Thats a pretty good team. I would take that team right now in any of my leagues.