What do yall think? CHIQUITA sponsoring terrorism

Beerball

Link

Not a new story, but 60 minutes re-ran a piece this past week.

Consider the credibility of your link. Then seek further, especially the numerous WTO rulings against the EU.

"60 Minutes" has quite an agenda. Remember their episode about GM truck gas tanks, and when it was proven that they installled explosive devices to pimp their point? Or their phony Audi "runaway' piece? Or their attack on Jeeps?

Don't be a sap and buy into their political Marxist leanings. See also Consumer Reports.

the banana growers, and Chiquita specifically (AKA the United Fruit Company) have a sordid history in central america over the past 60 years, including pressuring the CIA to help overthrow the democratically elected government of Guatemala and installing a more friendly to Chiquita military dictatorship to protect its land interests.

Consider the credibility of your link. Then seek further, especially the numerous WTO rulings against the EU.

"60 Minutes" has quite an agenda. Remember their episode about GM truck gas tanks, and when it was proven that they installled explosive devices to pimp their point? Or their phony Audi "runaway' piece? Or their attack on Jeeps?

Don't be a sap and buy into their political Marxist leanings. See also Consumer Reports.

I'll ignore you calling me a sap in an indirect way.

Their CEO admits (video evidence exists) that payments were made (just as he admits that prior to the paramilitaries they paid the cartels guerillas). His contention that they were only paying to keep their workers safe. Do you think that is a true statement? Really, it happened, that's fact. What I'm interested in is opinions.

"These lands were lands where there was no law. It was impossible for the government to protect employees," says Fernando Aguirre, who became Chiquita's CEO long after all this happened.

Aguirre says the company was forced to pay taxes to the guerillas when they controlled the territory in the late 1980s and early 90s. When the paramilitaries, known as the "AUC," moved in in 1997 they demanded the same thing.

"Did the paramilitaries state, specifically to you, that if you didn't make the payments, your people would be killed?" Kroft asks.

"There was a very, very strong signal that if the company would not make payments, that things would happen. And since they had already killed at least 50 people, employees of the company, it was clear to everyone there that these guys meant business," Aguirre says.

Edited by Beerball

I'll ignore you calling me a sap in an indirect way.

Their CEO admits (video evidence exists) that payments were made (just as he admits that prior to the paramilitaries they paid the cartels guerillas). His contention that they were only paying to keep their workers safe. Do you think that is a true statement? Really, it happened, that's fact. What I'm interested in is opinions.

Paying cash to stop killing. And continue with commerce. That's Life in the Third World.

Terrible but that's what is done. Paying protection happens. Chiquita is based here. And I've followed the ins and outs of this for some time. Their competition is Dole, and we know about House Speaker Pelosi and Dole Co's hq in her district and her putting in minimum wage rise exemptions for Dole interests.

Sorry about the sap comment. You are being gracious, referring to it as indirect. I beg your pardon for my snot comment.