Do we have any rowing machine users?

SDS

Scott,

I hate running also, and kept trying but kept 'failing' at it. Not sure if you are looking at home workout or gym, but i finally decided to use a stationary bike at the gym and do that for 30 minutes on random hills, level 12/20. I have been in the 19.4-20.4 mph range for about 10 miles, after that i get on the treadmill and walk for 30 minutes at a relatively quick pace with at least a 12.0 incline.....its been working and i don't get that fustrated feeling. Of course if you are looking for a home rowing machine...then this post has no value to you. Good luck....

I hate running...

Does anyone row routinely?

If the rowing machine in question isn't a Concept 2 erg http://www.concept2.com/us/indoorrowers/default.asp , then it's likely just a cheap piece of crap so don't waste your time. If it is a Concept 2, then get ready for pain. Used them for rowing in high school and college and they will kick your butt, but they will get you some good cardio work and tone you up, that's for sure.

Rowing is outstanding. I've been doing it for a while as a cardio routine to offset my random spurts of shin splints.

When looking for another cardio routine, there was just none that did it for me. Elipticals are a weird motion, and they just don't seem to make me tired or feel like I'm actually working out. The same for the bike/spinning. I just didn't feel tired after or that I had accomplished much.

Then a family memeber got me on to rowing. My God, what a great machine. Not only does it work your legs, but it works your upper body as well. All parts, all while doing cardio. It is fantastic, and I fully reccommend it. I'm used to running, but this kicks my ass as well. You are actually accomplishing a ton while doing it, and you feel great after.

If the rowing machine in question isn't a Concept 2 erg http://www.concept2.com/us/indoorrowers/default.asp , then it's likely just a cheap piece of crap so don't waste your time. If it is a Concept 2, then get ready for pain. Used them for rowing in high school and college and they will kick your butt, but they will get you some good cardio work and tone you up, that's for sure.

I have one sitting in the garage . (black ) we won it at the crash B sprints in Boston in 1999 after I had paid for one for our son .

http://www.crash-b.org/

he's right. Concept 2 or its probably garbage.

the erg is nothing like running, it's way harder if you're doing it right. Spent so much time on those machines in high school I literally wouldn't get on one for a couple years after. That said, it's a great all around workout. Brutal machine.

I bike do to knee problems and that's the best exercise for me. My sister has a rowing machine and loves it. The most important thing is to find something that won't bore the sh-t out of you. I like the bike cause I pick where I want to go and how hard to really push myself.

I did 30 minutes on a concept2 yesterday. I liked it, especially for the back workout. I was a little disappointed in the legs though. I did my best to work my legs as hard as I could, but they didn't get any sort of burn like I had expected. Not bad, but not great.

I started playing hockey a few years ago and that has come along really well. However, this past year, playing hockey to stay in hockey shape hasn't worked and my endurance is getting progressively worse. It's pitiful right now, so I need to do something to get back to where I can put some quality shifts in from start to finish. I'm worried that the rowing won't hit my legs enough.

Rowing is outstanding.

Yep. The machines are a godsend for older folks, or those of any age who have skeletal concerns and ripping tendons and the like who just want to maintain flexibility. You can go easy, go aerobic if you like without pounding the sinew and joints.

I'd add that I've read for years and years that most exercise devices don't get used once the good intentions wane. Something like 90% get dumped out the door - dunno.

There's a consignment chain here is Cincinnati that moves these devices on the cheap. I used to know some of the crowd that runs it.

Pfft. Vipers.

But you can buy cheap. Watch for the garage sales, too.

I did 30 minutes on a concept2 yesterday. I liked it, especially for the back workout. I was a little disappointed in the legs though. I did my best to work my legs as hard as I could, but they didn't get any sort of burn like I had expected. Not bad, but not great.

I started playing hockey a few years ago and that has come along really well. However, this past year, playing hockey to stay in hockey shape hasn't worked and my endurance is getting progressively worse. It's pitiful right now, so I need to do something to get back to where I can put some quality shifts in from start to finish. I'm worried that the rowing won't hit my legs enough.

Rowing is 75- 80% legs, easy. You drive with your legs until they are nearly fully extended, then you start your lean with your back and pull your arms to your chest. Check with this- http://www.concept2.com/us/training/technique.asp

Either you're doing it wrong, you're in better shape than you think and aren't feeling the burn due to good muscle stamina, or you're such a short sh-- that the rowing movements are lost on you. :blink:

Seriously though, 30 mins on a concept2 should make even the most conditioned athlete cry for mama. Next time keep an eye on the stroke output on the monitor and work on bringing it down to under 1:50. Graphic here- http://www.concept2.com/us/service/monitors/pm2/level1.asp . Th

Rowing is 75- 80% legs, easy. You drive with your legs until they are nearly fully extended, then you start your lean with your back and pull your arms to your chest. Check with this- http://www.concept2.com/us/training/technique.asp

Either you're doing it wrong, you're in better shape than you think and aren't feeling the burn due to good muscle stamina, or you're such a short sh-- that the rowing movements are lost on you. :blink:

Seriously though, 30 mins on a concept2 should make even the most conditioned athlete cry for mama. Next time keep an eye on the stroke output on the monitor and work on bringing it down to under 1:50. Graphic here- http://www.concept2.com/us/service/monitors/pm2/level1.asp . Th

That's exactly what I iterated to. So, maybe I did 15 minutes with that technique out of the 30 as I worked my way towards that.

The 1st 10 minutes was at 31 s/m and the last 20 I was between 36-42. Even when I tried to go faster I really couldn't move any faster. What is a good pace?

EDIT: Ok they said to keep it between 20 and 30 s/m. That is way too slow. I had to up it after 10 minutes because I wasn't really feeling it. My heart rate was about 130 bpm - maybe more when I tried to go all out in the end. Final tally was 5630 m in 30 minutes.

That's exactly what I iterated to. So, maybe I did 15 minutes with that technique out of the 30 as I worked my way towards that.

The 1st 10 minutes was at 31 s/m and the last 20 I was between 36-42. Even when I tried to go faster I really couldn't move any faster. What is a good pace?

EDIT: Ok they said to keep it between 20 and 30 s/m. That is way too slow. I had to up it after 10 minutes because I wasn't really feeling it. My heart rate was about 130 bpm - maybe more when I tried to go all out in the end. Final tally was 5630 m in 30 minutes.

what do you have the resistance on? what 500 meter split time are you keeping it at? It sounds like you must have the resistance on really low. It should be no lower than 6 or 7 out of 10.

Make sure to push with your legs first, but really because your legs are going to be stronger than your forearms and shoulders you won't feel it as much as you will in your upper body, but they should be working.

between 20 and 30 s/m sounds right for that length of time. over 30 is more of a sprinting or racing pace and normally isn't sustained for that length of time.

as for split time, keeping under 1:50 for 30 minutes would be very difficult. I'd aim for somewhere around 2 minutes. the best workouts though mix it up between high and low intensity (like a minute rowing really hard, a minute rowing for recovery).

what do you have the resistance on? what 500 meter split time are you keeping it at? It sounds like you must have the resistance on really low. It should be no lower than 6 or 7 out of 10.

Make sure to push with your legs first, but really because your legs are going to be stronger than your forearms and shoulders you won't feel it as much as you will in your upper body, but they should be working.

between 20 and 30 s/m sounds right for that length of time. over 30 is more of a sprinting or racing pace and normally isn't sustained for that length of time.

as for split time, keeping under 1:50 for 30 minutes would be very difficult. I'd aim for somewhere around 2 minutes. the best workouts though mix it up between high and low intensity (like a minute rowing really hard, a minute rowing for recovery).

I'm guessing I had the damper on very low. I didn't know where to adjust the difficulty setting, so I just went with it. It would explain a lot...

Final tally was 5630 m in 30 minutes.

ok, yeah you've got the resistance too low. for 30 minutes at a 2 minute 500m split time (which is a rigorous pace) you would be getting more like 7500 meters in that time. I think your current split is like a 2:40 which would be really easy. That should make a huge difference.

IMO, rowing is the only machine workout out there that's worth spending time with. You've had plenty of suggestions as far as that goes, but thought I'd add to your legs remark. You can make huge gains with your legs just doing body weight exercises in your living room. Once your done with the rowing, if you don't feel like you've worked your legs enough, do a few hundred squats to finish things off. Takes a few minutes and will do wonders for your leg stamina. Squats, lunges, jumping...in my mind, for stamina, those types of exercises are far superior to the low reps of squats with loaded barbells you see people doing in the gym.

Anyway, like I said, for me there's no better machine for overall cardio stamina than a rower. I've never been so inclined, but a friend of mine trained up to doing a marathon on one (C2 has groups that do it together on-line). Amazing results! And if for some reason it's not hitting your legs, there's an easy fix if you need it.