Pepper spray recommendations

John Adams

This is a strange question, because most of the pepper sprays seem pretty much the same, but is there any particular one that you think is better? I know there are a lot of people on here WAY more knowledgeable about these things. Here's what I need:

1) portable unit for my wife who jogs a lot// also to carry in purse and/or car...also for me on my long bike rides home through North Philly at night,

2) a few units to have at locations around the house (near doors and in bedroom).

It's one of those things that is way overdue for us to have on our person, but whatever. Here I am ready to buy a few things.

Save the "buy a gun" speech if you don't mind. I'm not anti-gun, but this is just about having something else. Again, to me, a know-nothing on this, all the sprays look about the same (they shoot 10 feet, they seal eyes shut, come in different sizes etc.), but is there anything else to look for?

Thanks in advance. I'll post my homewrk questions later.

This is a strange question, because most of the pepper sprays seem pretty much the same, but is there any particular one that you think is better? I know there are a lot of people on here WAY more knowledgeable about these things. Here's what I need:

1) portable unit for my wife who jogs a lot// also to carry in purse and/or car...also for me on my long bike rides home through North Philly at night,

2) a few units to have at locations around the house (near doors and in bedroom).

It's one of those things that is way overdue for us to have on our person, but whatever. Here I am ready to buy a few things.

Save the "buy a gun" speech if you don't mind. I'm not anti-gun, but this is just about having something else. Again, to me, a know-nothing on this, all the sprays look about the same (they shoot 10 feet, they seal eyes shut, come in different sizes etc.), but is there anything else to look for?

Thanks in advance. I'll post my homewrk questions later.

110755[/snapback]

John..I did a homework assignemt on Pepper Spray...with no help from these people....not really....my wife carrys a small canister...about an inch in diameter...5 inches long...had a 15' range...it had some additional ingredient to pepper spray..forget what that was...thank god she never had to use it.

I have a 10% pepper defense spray. One night I was shooting it at some cats that were on the hood of my new car. I didn't realize it and got some on my hands. I went to bed and about 2 minutes later, I was on fire. Not thinking I jumped in the shower thinking I could wash it off. Bad idea... after I got out of the shower I found it spread to all over my body. At that point I gave up and went back to bed. Boy was I hurting that night!

I have a 10% pepper defense spray.  One night I was shooting it at some cats that were on the hood of my new car.  I didn't realize it and got some on my hands.  I went to bed and about 2 minutes later, I was on fire.  Not thinking I jumped in the shower thinking I could wash it off.  Bad idea... after I got out of the shower I found it spread to all over my body.  At that point I gave up and went back to bed.  Boy was I hurting that night!

110764[/snapback]

OOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

I remember running into two tiny women patrolling the Erie Canal trail years ago and they carried Halt! and one of those screamers - not the personal alarm system that sounds like a siren, but the canned thingy that makes a blast like a fog horn. The thing will shatter eardrums AND call attention to the situation if anyone's around.

AND one more thing - don't yell "help"! That's scary and people will often run away. Yell FIRE! because they'll all run toward the caller to see the fire.

Sounds strange, but it's true.

I remember running into two tiny women patrolling the Erie Canal trail years ago and they carried Halt! and one of those screamers - not the personal alarm system that sounds like a siren, but the canned thingy that makes a blast like a fog horn.  The thing will shatter eardrums AND call attention to the situation if anyone's around.

AND one more thing - don't yell "help"!  That's scary and people will often run away.  Yell FIRE! because they'll all run toward the caller to see the fire. 

Sounds strange, but it's true.

110783[/snapback]

I carry an airhorn when I go camping. Once when I was camping, a bear came into our camp and I'm a pretty calm dude, so I just evacuated the generally area and was happy to let the bear have his way with my belongings. But a guy I was with had an airhorn and when the bear started going for his tent, he let that thing rip and the bear headed for the hills. Not many animals with ears will tangle with something as loud as an airhorn.

I carry an airhorn when I go camping. Once when I was camping, a bear came into our camp and I'm a pretty calm dude, so I just evacuated the generally area and was happy to let the bear have his way with my belongings. But a guy I was with had an airhorn and when the bear started going for his tent, he let that thing rip and the bear headed for the hills. Not many animals with ears will tangle with something as loud as an airhorn.

110792[/snapback]

Wow... That is wild... A little heavy... A common whistle usually works... Clanking pots and pans too. Ohhh... And don't go to sleep with that berry chapstick on! :doh:

I remember one time in the Mt. Marcy area rangers telling us to hang our bear bags extra high after knotting it 2-3 trees down the line... I guess they would follow the line and swipe at the knot. I climbed on another's shoulders to tie 'em, good thing... one night we chased a black bear bear away from the blasted thing as he stood on on his hind legs. The next morning, we heard clanking and whistles down stream... Went up and climbed a small hill to find the bears booty... Fruit Loops and dried milk!

In the rocky's, one small brown had the nerve to walk right under our dining fly and enjoy himself... Chased him off... Then had the nerve to finish our Swiss Miss and Pop tarts in a bushy area 100' away! Left us with nothing but dry granola... I guess bears hate that stuff too. :rolleyes: