So I had a phone interview scheduled for 11 AM

The Poojer

I'd let it go pooj. She did respond to you after all and let you know that they'd be late.

Speaking of unprofessionalism however, how about a job where you are invited to an interview, when it concludes they tell you they will be in contact with you one way or another within 2-3 weeks, and you never hear from them again, good or bad? I called the interviewer back at 1, 2, and 4 weeks post interview, just to thank them for the opportunity and ask if they needed more info, etc. All 3 times i got the interviewer's voice mail and left a message. That was back in March. I still haven't heard back from them.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd let it go pooj. She did respond to you after all and let you know that they'd be late.

Speaking of unprofessionalism however, how about a job where you are invited to an interview, when it concludes they tell you they will be in contact with you one way or another within 2-3 weeks, and you never hear from them again, good or bad? I called the interviewer back at 1, 2, and 4 weeks post interview, just to thank them for the opportunity and ask if they needed more info, etc. All 3 times i got the interviewer's voice mail and left a message. That was back in March. I still haven't heard back from them.

So you think you got the job? :nana:

That is pretty rude. Sometimes people have very unrealistic expectations ("I mailed you a totally unsolicited resume and never heard back from you!!!"), but once you've been in for a face to face interview, it's unprofessional to not call/write to say they picked someone else.

I interview 10-20 people pretty much every other week. Then boil those down to 4-8 people for seconds. If you're going to send a thank you note send it ASAP. I had one guy write the note on his way out the door and leave it with my administrator. Impressed me, so I offered him and he's with me today. If they don't keep their word from during the interview I wouldn't want to work with them anyway so in your case I think they led you to your answer if they ever do call and offer. Tell them to pound sand. I know the job market it tough but do you really want to work for a company that opperates that way? I have two that I've scheduled to call today to make offers to. I told on that I was going to call at 1:00pm and the other at 2:00pm. I will call them at 1 and 2 respetively right on the dot. I'm just very particular taht way.

When I worked in the restaurants I'd get calls six months later offering me. I'd tell them "gee I guess I wasn't your first choice." The difference there is they rarely would tell you when they'd call. It was usually "we'll let you know."

What do you look for in a "Thank You" note? does it need to be anymore than "thank you for your time", "I am the perfect candidate", blah blah blah...do you want candidates to touch on points you talked about in the interview?

I interview 10-20 people pretty much every other week. Then boil those down to 4-8 people for seconds. If you're going to send a thank you note send it ASAP. I had one guy write the note on his way out the door and leave it with my administrator. Impressed me, so I offered him and he's with me today. If they don't keep their word from during the interview I wouldn't want to work with them anyway so in your case I think they led you to your answer if they ever do call and offer. Tell them to pound sand. I know the job market it tough but do you really want to work for a company that opperates that way? I have two that I've scheduled to call today to make offers to. I told on that I was going to call at 1:00pm and the other at 2:00pm. I will call them at 1 and 2 respetively right on the dot. I'm just very particular taht way.

When I worked in the restaurants I'd get calls six months later offering me. I'd tell them "gee I guess I wasn't your first choice." The difference there is they rarely would tell you when they'd call. It was usually "we'll let you know."

it is a lack of respect for the other person's time, if i hadn't sent that email, i am certain i would have just had to sit and wait....she claimed there was no clock in the meeting room....today, if you don't carry your laptop with you...you at least have a cell phone/blackberry or there are clocks in meeting rooms so you can respect the time of those in your meeting and those that may be meeting in that room after your scheduled meeting....she is an HR person....she needs to be more aware of the time than she appeared to be....but I was gracious to her...and thanks for your "good luck" wish

Maybe that was part of the interview, to see how you handled the situation? Probably not, but I wouldn't be completely surprised. They could be checking to see how long it took you to call them, how you reacted when they said they were running late, and how you acted overall in the interview after being ignored.

Could be. :nana:

check out this email I just got...

on the surface, this is exactly what we all want.....however......I called her LAST tuesday, actually spoke to her, where she told me the exact same thing.....maybe this shouldn't be an issue, but what the hell, not really in the mood to deal with 'incompetencies"(sp) in those responsible for making hiring decisions.....nailed this interview and had several people on the inside pimpin' me up for it....this market is allowing companies to look for that perfect fit....it sucks

PJ,

I appreciate you taking the time to speak with me regarding the XXXX XXXX & the XXXX XXXX positions with XXXX & XXXX.

We were fortunate to have experienced a significant level of interest and we have closely reviewed the qualifications of each candidate. While your background, skills and experience are impressive, we have decided to pursue another candidate for this position.

Once again, thank you for your interest in XXXX & XXXX and best wishes for success in your future career endeavors.

XXXXX XXXXX, PHR

Recruiter

XXXXX & XXXXX, Inc.

1234 Any Street

Any City, ST 11111

Toll Free:

Direct:

Face it, they have the power and it is an old trick to create a "stress" situation for the interviewee to see how he or she reacts. I've known recruiters to plan interrupting phone calls, to read memos and do other things just to create stress. One that was tried on me (and I got the job) was "I'm a twenty year employee in this place. I'm being laid off because of budget cuts. Sit here in my seat, let me change places with you, and you tell me that I'm being let go."

were you interviewing for an HR or Management position????? I hope so, as that would be completely inappropriate for the type of position I am applying for

Face it, they have the power and it is an old trick to create a "stress" situation for the interviewee to see how he or she reacts. I've known recruiters to plan interrupting phone calls, to read memos and do other things just to create stress. One that was tried on me (and I got the job) was "I'm a twenty year employee in this place. I'm being laid off because of budget cuts. Sit here in my seat, let me change places with you, and you tell me that I'm being let go."

Its probably no shocker that the employer in question was the state of florida. IIRC, i was one of the first to interview for the position. I was told they had a few more interviews over the next 2 weeks, and they would be letting me know after that. They said 2-3 weeks. I dont really care about the rejection, it is simply highly unprofessional to formally interview someone, ask them to take a sample test on the types of tasks they'd be performing and then never inform then of the final decision.

I interviewed for a position on July 24 after a phone screening earlier that week. I was told then that they'd "call me one way or the other" by what was last Friday (August 7).

On August 3rd I received an email back indicating they had received my thank you in the mail, and thanking me for attaching an electronic copy that arrived immediately that following Monday (July 27) The email closed by saying: "We will be in touch soon!" I shot back a very quick email saying: "Fantastic! I look forward to hearing from you soon!"

August 7 rolled around, still no correspondence, no email, letter, or call. So I sent out another email saying: "I was anticipating a response one way or the other by today, and hope I have not yet been eliminated from consideration since I remain enthusiastic about the opportunity. I look forward to hearing from you soon!"

The email was sent around 4:00 and I immediately received back an out-of-office email for the following Monday (Aug 10).

So, I waited until Tuesday (Aug 11), then finally placed a call, left a voice mail basically re-stating my email from the 7th.

Yesterday morning I received the following email: "Hi Big Cat – thank you for your email and voicemail. We are still in the interview process and we apologize for the delay. We will certainly notify you by phone either way once a decision is made."

Seriously, what should I read into all this?

Chef, as a hirer, your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

it is a lack of respect for the other person's time, if i hadn't sent that email, i am certain i would have just had to sit and wait....she claimed there was no clock in the meeting room....today, if you don't carry your laptop with you...you at least have a cell phone/blackberry or there are clocks in meeting rooms so you can respect the time of those in your meeting and those that may be meeting in that room after your scheduled meeting....she is an HR person....she needs to be more aware of the time than she appeared to be....but I was gracious to her...and thanks for your "good luck" wish

Theres a timer on the fry-o-later machine isn't there?

I wouldn't read anything into it -- it's very common for companies to have open positions, and then have those positions yanked and need to be rejustified. It could be something like that is happening here too.

What do you look for in a "Thank You" note? does it need to be anymore than "thank you for your time", "I am the perfect candidate", blah blah blah...do you want candidates to touch on points you talked about in the interview?

A simple thank you for your consideration and I look forward to talking to you soon type of thing is all I'm looking for. Any more they've lost me.

I interviewed for a position on July 24 after a phone screening earlier that week. I was told then that they'd "call me one way or the other" by what was last Friday (August 7).

On August 3rd I received an email back indicating they had received my thank you in the mail, and thanking me for attaching an electronic copy that arrived immediately that following Monday (July 27) The email closed by saying: "We will be in touch soon!" I shot back a very quick email saying: "Fantastic! I look forward to hearing from you soon!"

August 7 rolled around, still no correspondence, no email, letter, or call. So I sent out another email saying: "I was anticipating a response one way or the other by today, and hope I have not yet been eliminated from consideration since I remain enthusiastic about the opportunity. I look forward to hearing from you soon!"

The email was sent around 4:00 and I immediately received back an out-of-office email for the following Monday (Aug 10).

So, I waited until Tuesday (Aug 11), then finally placed a call, left a voice mail basically re-stating my email from the 7th.

Yesterday morning I received the following email: "Hi Big Cat – thank you for your email and voicemail. We are still in the interview process and we apologize for the delay. We will certainly notify you by phone either way once a decision is made."

Chef, as a hirer, your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

My immediate opinion is....they suck. They were going to let you know by the 7th of their decision but it appears they planned on a vacation that following Monday but in actuality the vacation started Friday (that's management speak for they're physically in the office on Friday but their mentally on vacation already).

The email you got yesterday essentially said "I just got back from vacation and have a shiitload of stuff to do, none of which includes getting to your inquiry, and I'll get to you when I can."

This is all speculation of course but......

Would that be part of your job description? Even if it was I would have said no unless you give me time to formulate how I'm going to say it. In the real world I'd never be put in that type of situation and for you to put me in that now is absolutely irrelevant and borderline asinine.

My immediate opinion is....they suck. They were going to let you know by the 7th of their decision but it appears they planned on a vacation that following Monday but in actuality the vacation started Friday (that's management speak for they're physically in the office on Friday but their mentally on vacation already).

The email you got yesterday essentially said "I just got back from vacation and have a shiitload of stuff to do, none of which includes getting to your inquiry, and I'll get to you when I can."

This is all speculation of course but......

My fear is that while I haven't yet been eliminated from consideration, they're actively looking for someone better.

What could have done differently to this point, aside from the interview that might have expedited this process?

My fear is that while I haven't yet been eliminated from consideration, they're actively looking for someone better.

What could have done differently to this point, aside from the interview that might have expedited this process?

Get better.