Question for all the hiring experts.

angrygnome

Tan shoes and pink shoelaces, a polka dot vest, a big panama hat with a purple hat band....

How can you go wrong with that ensemble? If the instructions weren't to be casual, I think I'd add a big colorful bow tie, to the mix.

no sneakers.....no way....its never a bad thing to over dress....a pair of nice pants an oxford shirt and tie, and a sport coat are never out of place in a job interview

I agree with pooj. the blazer and tan slacks mean casual in the world of business. In this case you might lose the tie. No tennis shoes. Nicely shined loafers are okay. Many employers make huge judgment and first impressions on shoes, believe it or not. Always dress a little better than the job you want. Nails and fresh haircut as well. You want to stand out from the rest.

As to pre-employment testing you don't know who is going to be there, who is going to make the decisions.

How can you go wrong with that ensemble? If the instructions weren't to be casual, I think I'd add a big colorful bow tie, to the mix.

I've been waiting for some poster to put up a solid cue, to unleash a segue to one of the gag songs of yore. :w00t:

I know little if anything about today's music - are these spoofs still being done?

You got the best advice so far. No sneakers. Slacks and jacket with no tie a nice statement that says you went just a tad higher than he asked. It's always better to go over- instead of under-dressed. And you can always introduce yourself and state that you weren't sure what casual was in his workplace and thus erred on the side of being more formal because you are interested in the job. That acknowledges his advice to dress casual (and that you listened to it) and tells him you want the job. It also tells him that you understand the importance of formality. All plusses.

Clothes do matter. At our law firm, we are business casual but if an interviewee attorney comes in in anything but a suit, it's a red flag.

Good luck.