Question for all the hiring experts.

angrygnome

Ok, Let me first start off by saying I desperately want/need this job.

Got a call yesterday, and I am going in for pre-employment testing. The man I spoke with specifically said to dress "casual" and not to over-dress (it's a plant after all)

I obviously don't want to go in there looking like a slob, but don't want to overdress and make him think I didn't listen to him. Is a pair of tan slacks, tennis shoes (I'm walking, no car. but it's literally only 200-300 yards away from my house) and a short sleeve polo shirt appropriate for this?

no sneakers.....no way....its never a bad thing to over dress....a pair of nice pants an oxford shirt and tie, and a sport coat are never out of place in a job interview

Got a call yesterday, and I am going in for pre-employment testing. The man I spoke with specifically said to dress "casual" and not to over-dress (it's a plant after all)

I obviously don't want to go in there looking like a slob, but don't want to overdress and make him think I didn't listen to him. Is a pair of tan slacks, tennis shoes (I'm walking, no car. but it's literally only 200-300 yards away from my house) and a short sleeve polo shirt appropriate for this?

no sneakers.....no way....its never a bad thing to over dress....a pair of nice pants an oxford shirt and tie, and a sport coat are never out of place in a job interview

I agree however this is not an interview, it is just pre-employment testing.

I agree however this is not an interview, it is just pre-employment testing.

Button down shirt, dress slacks and dress shoes would be appropriate IMHO. Whatever you wear, make sure it is clean and pressed, and the shoes are shined.

I'll take "Questions you should have asked HIM" for $200, Alex. First question out of my mouth, when someone says "dress casual", is "define 'casual'".

Anyway...no tennis shoes, even if you're walking there. Otherwise, depends on the job and the environment. If it's manual line-work or something, I'd guess a polo shirt and decent slacks are fine. If it's more sales or management, you'd need to dress up more than that (i.e. decent button-down shirt an tie).