Programming note: Larry Felser on WECK 1230

Lori

Ralph's share of the Raiders was actually close to 30 percent, something Felser discovered while researching his book about the merger, The Birth of the New NFL.

More: He says that even veteran Hall voters like Peter King and Rick Gosselin didn't know a lot of the AFL history.

Taking calls at 716-783-9325, or e-mail to BRADonWECK (at) gmail.com.

Lori, along these lines maybe there is something you can help me out with.

I seem to remember a story floating around awhile back about Ralph helping the Patriots out in some way during the AFL's fledgling days, but I can't remember the specifics.

Did I just make this story up (I am somewhat delusional) or is there merit to it?

Larry just mentioned it. No number, but Wilson loaned the Pats a significant amount of money. I have a copy of the book; I'll see if it's in there when I get a chance.

Good story about "Big Ses," Tom Sestak. He was a college TE (who got Bear Bryant's Texas A+M team put on probation for illegally recruiting him, btw); when the Bills switched him to DT, Lou Saban put him up against Billy Shaw every day in practice. According to Larry, former Packers prez/GM Ron Wolf -- who could himself end up enshrined in Canton someday -- says No. 70 absolutely belongs there.

On a related note, at last year's Pro Football Researchers Association gathering, I was honored to meet T.J. Troup. A member of the committee that Steve Sabol consulted for the "America's Game" series, he was also the technical advisor for George Clooney's movie "Leatherheads."

And when he saw that both KRC and I were sporting Bills gear, the first thing he said to us was, "Big Ses -- one of the greatest players I've ever seen. It's a disgrace that he's not in the Hall of Fame."

He's not impressed with either Miami or the Jets. Says the Bills could make a little noise if "the five strangers on the offensive line" get acquainted with each other, and they find some semblance of a pass rush. Can't beat the receivers, and he also likes their RBs. Also says that much depends on Jauron not having an in-game braincramp. Skeptical about DJ. He'd rather have a guy with fire -- not necessarily Hank Bullough fire, but at least some passion -- and "you can never tell that with Jauron."

Good listen. Thank you, gentlemen.

Agreed, but it's easy to tell that. Had be been alive and reporting in the 60's, he'd have been nailed with full cans of beer at every AFL stadium for his 'coffeenerdness' crap.

What gets me is that these people (selection committee) are responsible for knowing about these players/coaches/contributors/etc and are supposed to have the ability to gauge the person's historical significance to determine if they are worthy of induction. How the hell can they not know their history when given that responsibility? This is especially evident with the seniors committee. The things I hear through the grapevine is that the members of the committee pretty much do not have a clue on the people they are discussing. That is why you have candidates like Marshall Goldberg being put up for nomination. Then, you get to the rest of the committee and they have no clue. Couple that with the arrogance of some of the members of the committee, it is only going to get worse. I remember talking to one member of the committee (not on the seniors committee) to talk to them about Marshall Goldberg. The response I got was pretty much, "Run along little man. I am a selector and you are not. Therefore, I know what I am doing and you don't." Yeah. OK, Sparky.

When I hear stuff like this, it just continues to prove to me that the system is broken. I am not the only one who feels that way. When I talked to Paul Zimmerman, he said the same thing (of course, he also felt that he should be the only selector, but that is Z). When I talked with Dan Rooney (who is on the Board of Directors of the Hall), he also said the system is broken, but does not know how to fix it.

Things are going to continually get worse as the older media types retire and the newer media types get on the committee.

What gets me is that these people (selection committee) are responsible for knowing about these players/coaches/contributors/etc and are supposed to have the ability to gauge the person's historical significance to determine if they are worthy of induction. How the hell can they not know their history when given that responsibility? This is especially evident with the seniors committee. The things I hear through the grapevine is that the members of the committee pretty much do not have a clue on the people they are discussing. That is why you have candidates like Marshall Goldberg being put up for nomination. Then, you get to the rest of the committee and they have no clue. Couple that with the arrogance of some of the members of the committee, it is only going to get worse. I remember talking to one member of the committee (not on the seniors committee) to talk to them about Marshall Goldberg. The response I got was pretty much, "Run along little man. I am a selector and you are not. Therefore, I know what I am doing and you don't." Yeah. OK, Sparky.

When I hear stuff like this, it just continues to prove to me that the system is broken. I am not the only one who feels that way. When I talked to Paul Zimmerman, he said the same thing (of course, he also felt that he should be the only selector, but that is Z). When I talked with Dan Rooney (who is on the Board of Directors of the Hall), he also said the system is broken, but does not know how to fix it.

Things are going to continually get worse as the older media types retire and the newer media types get on the committee.

This IS sad! I know it's 'just a sport', so there's governing committees to assure validity, but Rooney's comment makes no sense to me. If there's any group of NFLer's who can institute wholesale changes for HOF consideration, it's the current group of 'lifers' and owners, IMO. I've never understood why sportswriters (no offense intended) were granted the prestige to make these decisions, given the high level of homerism inherent in their readership. Yes, fella's like Felser carry the Bills fight to the masses, but then he's met by other regional writers with their own agenda. Case in point from my perspective, Bob Hayes gets in with pedestrian stats but A. Reed gets snubbed while blowin' the doors off Hayes' career. Pretty grim

I feel your dooming pain with "newer media types" about to inherit the earth..

This IS sad! I know it's 'just a sport', so there's governing committees to assure validity, but Rooney's comment makes no sense to me. If there's any group of NFLer's who can institute wholesale changes for HOF consideration, it's the current group of 'lifers' and owners, IMO. I've never understood why sportswriters (no offense intended) were granted the prestige to make these decisions, given the high level of homerism inherent in their readership. Yes, fella's like Felser carry the Bills fight to the masses, but then he's met by other regional writers with their own agenda. Case in point from my perspective, Bob Hayes gets in with pedestrian stats but A. Reed gets snubbed while blowin' the doors off Hayes' career. Pretty grim

I feel your dooming pain with "newer media types" about to inherit the earth..

It has always been that way. Newspapers were picking their all-pro lists and all-decade teams. When the HOF was founded, I am guessing that they just continued the tradition that had been place for decades.