Dolphins camp is so tough...

I kind of agree with you. Being tough in camp does not guarantee wins. But being tough in camp, and then backing it up with being tough in games, and being a GOOD GAMEDAY coach does. Are you listening DJ? Coaches like Parcells and Belicheat get the most out of their guys, that is indisputable. The question is, why have the bills not been able to find a coach who can do just exactly that? Levy was able to. Knox was able to. They are the only coaches we have had (that I can actually remember since i am 43) that did.

Players like DJ. WHO FRIGGEN CARES!!!! Jauron does not motivate his guys, and he has never pulled the absolute best out of his team. Want proof? when was the last time a DJ coached team beat a team with a winning record, let alone a playoff team or team of SB caliber? Not in Buffalo, and who really cares what he did before he got here. I hate the bears and nobody cares about the Lions...

Sorry, i got a little caught up in my rant on Jauron....

To me DJ would be a respectable coach if he did two things 1- Make better game day decisions (time management, in game adjustments, and play calling) 2- Make long term adjustments - last year we were 5-1 teams said why, than they took away the ground game and played coverage geared to stop the short pass. What did we do to respond to what teams were trying to do? Answer nothing we ran the ball, used the short passing game and took a handful of shots down field.

Football is a chess match and DJ makes his moves (No huddle or last years lets take a handful of shots down field) and than sits back and waits for teams to respond to it. Than once teams make their moves he just sits back and doesn't do much. Any good coach makes moves and even thinks two moves ahead.

I feel with DJ we have a 7th grader playing a college honor student in chess. DJ comes out with a plan and than forces it to work even though the plan has been defeated repeatedly. Most times we loose.

No but weeding out those who are only there for the money and not for the love of the game will make you a better team.

I'd agree with you, if any of these players had a shot at making the team. Them leaving now simply gets rid of guys who would be gone in a couple of weeks, anyway. The team seems no better or worse, because of it.

Which leads to a possible explanation (strictly conjecture, mind you). Sparano is particularly tough on these schlubs to give the impression of running a tough camp. He doesn't give a crap if they leave, get injured, suffer heat exhaustion, etc. The impression he is tough gets him points with the fans, and probably many of the players.

I'd agree with you, if any of these players had a shot at making the team. Them leaving now simply gets rid of guys who would be gone in a couple of weeks, anyway. The team seems no better or worse, because of it.

Which leads to a possible explanation (strictly conjecture, mind you). Sparano is particularly tough on these schlubs to give the impression of running a tough camp. He doesn't give a crap if they leave, get injured, suffer heat exhaustion, etc. The impression he is tough gets him points with the fans, and probably many of the players.

I wounder if Sparano is a hard ass to guys like Jake Long. Its easy to treat camp invites who make no money like crap but if it was really a tough camp he would be working all of his players regardless of salary or production level. To me if he is just a hard ass on the low level guys it means nothing and is just posturing for the fans.

did 3 players quit last year prior to their success? they have yet to prove anything this year

The point is simply that if a tough camp was a contributor to their success last year then it is a concept that should be considered. Hard to say if it was or not but turning a 1-15 team into division champs is something that Dick Jauron and crew have not accomplished.

You can be a mamby pamby coach if you win. If you don't win, that style will turns the fans on you quick and we're living that right now after 3x 7-9 and with number 4 on the way. Jauron's radio show in Chicago in his last couple seasons there sounded much like the current town hall meetings discussing health care reform. Ugly.

OK. But how many great coaches are of the "mamby pamby" variety? It's one thing to come to realize as a manager that your team is loaded with self-starters and guys that love to kick some ass every day. You manage that situation differently than say a group of slugs that would rather take 4 hour lunches every day and text their friends the other 4 hours. On the other hand, that's not the same thing as just assuming that your team is going to emerge as a bunch of highly motivated self-starters if you just wait long enough and give them as much slack as they want because you've built relationships with each and every one of them (i.e., they text you on their 4 hour lunch).

OK. But how many great coaches are of the "mamby pamby" variety? It's one thing to come to realize as a manager that your team is loaded with self-starters and guys that love to kick some ass every day. You manage that situation differently than say a group of slugs that would rather take 4 hour lunches every day and text their friends the other 4 hours. On the other hand, that's not the same thing as just assuming that your team is going to emerge as a bunch of highly motivated self-starters if you just wait long enough and give them as much slack as they want because you've built relationships with each and every one of them (i.e., they text you on their 4 hour lunch).

I don't see many good ones in any sport that are of a passive style. Some pull it off. Jauron will be run out of town this year by the fans if he doesn't have a winning season. Publically he gives fans no reason to have confidence in him with his uninspiring style.

thats what I was thinking too.

Also, didnt they beat the Patriots last year? :o<_<

I've always liked the coaches that are pretty gruff and demanding...they don't have to yell all the time...but guys who are clear and determined in their approach...the AFC East just landed another one with Rex Ryan. I like the way Tomlin operates in Pittsburgh.

The point is simply that if a tough camp was a contributor to their success last year then it is a concept that should be considered. Hard to say if it was or not but turning a 1-15 team into division champs is something that Dick Jauron and crew have not accomplished.

And an easy camp got Indy it's success over the last many years. We should consider that too.

None are mamby-pamby. But plenty run camps calculated not to exhaust the guys early while still keeping them learning.

Levy.

Dungy.

Vermeil.

And the list goes on and on.

Here's what you find if you follow a link or two. http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-d...0,1909942.story

1) SIRVINCENT ROGERS. Shane Williams, the agent for Rogers, said his client had decided to quit not due to injury or disagreement. (Rogers had a history of knee problems at the University of Houston.)

He just wasn't into playing football anymore.

"The passion wasn't there," Williams said. "His passion was somewhere else. He's interested in coaching. He wants to finish his college degree. That's where his focus is."

According to Williams, Rogers is back in Houston finishing up work toward the one credit he still needs for a degree in kinesiology from the University of Houston.

"With the Dolphins, he was gracious," Williams said. "They gave him an opportunity to play. They really liked him. They didn't want him to leave. But he didn't want to be out there not putting 100 percent of his passion into this. At the end of the day, he had to make a grown-up decision."

2) MATT QUILLEN. Quillen, a rookie from the University of New Mexico, reportedly had lingering shoulder issues.

3) ETHAN KILMER. No real reason is known, but he's coming off two years on injured reserve.

Two guys out of three have reasons for this. It's not as big a deal as many have made it out to be.