Dolphins camp is so tough...

...so tough that 3 players have walked out so far.

Tim Graham's take on Camp Sparano.

So is kicking the crap out your team in camp make them better?

PTR

No but weeding out those who are only there for the money and not for the love of the game will make you a better team.

Sparano sums this up nicely in the quote included:

"If your heart isn't in what you're doing, it does not take long with the heat, with the contact, with the intensity of what we're doing out here, and the way we're doing it, to figure out that maybe this isn't for you."

...so tough that 3 players have walked out so far.

Tim Graham's take on Camp Sparano.

So is kicking the crap out your team in camp make them better?

PTR

I know nothing about the other two, but I am surprised that PSU's Ethan Kilmer walked out. Long story short, he was a 7th round find in '06 for CIN - very high hopes for him until a leg injury cut him down.

"Cry baby" isn't in his vocabulary, IMO.

I wonder what happened?

If anyone here hasn't been to Miami in August, it's almost indefinable. Temps & humidity above 100 every day. Add helmets & pads, exhaustive exercise and BTW, head-smackin!' It truely can make the toughest wither.

Something tells me Sparano is probably playing a part in this, though..

Something tells me Sparano is probably playing a part in this, though..

I think so, too.

I mentioned Ethan Kilmer several posts above. From what I know about his pro play and his story at PSU, I'd say he'd be the last to walk away from a situation.

3 people walking out within a week or so, people wanting to really stick around and get a paycheck - I've never seen that. I wonder what's up.?

I think it depends more on whether you are drafting or otherwise finding players that buy into it. Losing three guys that would not have made it anyway is hardly an indication of anything. Gregg Williams ran a notoriously hard camp and it brought him no success. It is hard to argue with what the fins accomplished last year though. The Bills should could use a dose of toughness.

In Cleveland and when he was in NY Eric Mangini runs a very tough camp. The players hated it and in NY every interview I hear pretty much infers that they hated the guy. I think that being a hard ass is a weird proposition if you win you can do it and you might see the benefits of it (No one was complaining when the Jets were 10-6 in Mangini's first year) yet if you loose you risk the team hating you and turning on you.

So while a lot of people will be calling for a hard ass coach when/if DJ gets fired just be careful because that guy (Especially if its a no-name coordinator) needs to win right away because players hate taskmaster kind of guys because they feel that they are conditioned and that the extra work is just stupid and doesn't help them at all.

Sparano can do all this hard ass stuff because he is coming off of a 11-5 division winning season and he looks good because he turned the franchise around from a 1-15 season. Personally I think you don't need to run a tough camp but you shouldn't run a soft camp either finding a middle ground where you work players with out burning them out is the way to go.

If Sparano is 6-10 this year he won't be able to run this kind of camp without risking pissing off his players (Veteran guys not just borderline guys who might not make the roster). The possibility of a team giving up on Sparano in two seasons (Like I said if he has a bad year this year) is likely.

Who wants a coach that quickly weeds out the weak and undermotivated?

You can be a mamby pamby coach if you win. If you don't win, that style will turns the fans on you quick and we're living that right now after 3x 7-9 and with number 4 on the way. Jauron's radio show in Chicago in his last couple seasons there sounded much like the current town hall meetings discussing health care reform. Ugly.

In Cleveland and when he was in NY Eric Mangini runs a very tough camp. The players hated it and in NY every interview I hear pretty much infers that they hated the guy. I think that being a hard ass is a weird proposition if you win you can do it and you might see the benefits of it (No one was complaining when the Jets were 10-6 in Mangini's first year) yet if you loose you risk the team hating you and turning on you.

So while a lot of people will be calling for a hard ass coach when/if DJ gets fired just be careful because that guy (Especially if its a no-name coordinator) needs to win right away because players hate taskmaster kind of guys because they feel that they are conditioned and that the extra work is just stupid and doesn't help them at all.

Sparano can do all this hard ass stuff because he is coming off of a 11-5 division winning season and he looks good because he turned the franchise around from a 1-15 season. Personally I think you don't need to run a tough camp but you shouldn't run a soft camp either finding a middle ground where you work players with out burning them out is the way to go.

I kind of agree with you. Being tough in camp does not guarantee wins. But being tough in camp, and then backing it up with being tough in games, and being a GOOD GAMEDAY coach does. Are you listening DJ? Coaches like Parcells and Belicheat get the most out of their guys, that is indisputable. The question is, why have the bills not been able to find a coach who can do just exactly that? Levy was able to. Knox was able to. They are the only coaches we have had (that I can actually remember since i am 43) that did.

Players like DJ. WHO FRIGGEN CARES!!!! Jauron does not motivate his guys, and he has never pulled the absolute best out of his team. Want proof? when was the last time a DJ coached team beat a team with a winning record, let alone a playoff team or team of SB caliber? Not in Buffalo, and who really cares what he did before he got here. I hate the bears and nobody cares about the Lions...

Sorry, i got a little caught up in my rant on Jauron....

I think it depends more on whether you are drafting or otherwise finding players that buy into it. Losing three gouys that would not have made it anyway is hardly an indication of anything. Gregg Williams ran a notoriously hard camp and it brought him no success. It is hard to argue with what the fins accomplished last year though. The Bills should could use a dose of toughness.

did 3 players quit last year prior to their success? they have yet to prove anything this year