Great Daily Show On 08/10/09

I don't know how many people here watch or like the Daily Show. I personally love it and watch it almost every day its on. I love Stewart's social commentary as he sticks it to both sides (Yeah I know some will say he leans left but I don't feel it interferes with his sticking it to both sides).

Well either way I think the show that was on 08/10/09 was awesome. It put into perspective the whole health care debate. I liked the fact that he had made fun of the fact the words "Death panel" and "Communal Standards" aren't in the bill at all. He also made fun of the whole mob scene that has become this debate. Its a good watch and really funny too. Just don't take it too seriously.

I just watched it and it really made me realize how much politics and the whole political spectrum can twist any issue (Even one as important as health care which 99% of us will need at one point in our lives) into a silly debate that always comes down to the usual right vs left tactics.

I don't know how many people here watch or like the Daily Show. I personally love it and watch it almost every day its on. I love Stewart's social commentary as he sticks it to both sides (Yeah I know some will say he leans left but I don't feel it interferes with his sticking it to both sides).

Well either way I think the show that was on 08/10/09 was awesome. It put into perspective the whole health care debate. I liked the fact that he had made fun of the fact the words "Death panel" and "Communal Standards" aren't in the bill at all. He also made fun of the whole mob scene that has become this debate. Its a good watch and really funny too. Just don't take it too seriously.

I just watched it and it really made me realize how much politics and the whole political spectrum can twist any issue (Even one as important as health care which 99% of us will need at one point in our lives) into a silly debate that always comes down to the usual right vs left tactics.

He's a douche, and that douchy look into the camera stopped being funny about five years ago.

When he makes fun of the !@#$ing loons who are organized to attend pro-left rallies like anti-war ones, or mnakes fun of the Obamatrons who attend his speeches and look like they just saw Jesus Christ, himself, I'll give credence to his comments about whats going on at these town halls.

Actually, he did heckle the Obama supporters right after the inauguration.

When he makes fun of the !@#$ing loons who are organized to attend pro-left rallies like anti-war ones, or mnakes fun of the Obamatrons who attend his speeches and look like they just saw Jesus Christ, himself, I'll give credence to his comments about whats going on at these town halls.

He does.

Stewart, by his own admission, leans left. But as a TV personality, he knows his shtick isn't "liberal", but needs to be non-partisanly "absurdist" to work.

He does.

Stewart, by his own admission, leans left. But as a TV personality, he knows his shtick isn't "liberal", but needs to be non-partisanly "absurdist" to work.

It's kind of like the fact that bi-sexual people get laid twice as often.

What is amazing is how seemingly educated people believe this crap about death panels and what ever other stuff the radio dorks spew

Because it stems from truth. In a centrally controlled health plan, there is a panel which rations medical service, and someone will be charged with a decision to stop medical care if the hypothetical cost of medical exceeds whatever standards that panel has established. As medical costs usually skyrocket in the last year's of a person's life, the decision to stop medical care will rest with the panel and not with the person or the family. Hence, the panel will decide on a speedier death of a sick person.

You may disagree with the use of the term used by the opposition, but it is what it is.

Because it stems from truth. In a centrally controlled health plan, there is a panel which rations medical service, and someone will be charged with a decision to stop medical care if the hypothetical cost of medical exceeds whatever standards that panel has established. As medical costs usually skyrocket in the last year's of a person's life, the decision to stop medical care will rest with the panel and not with the person or the family. Hence, the panel will decide on a speedier death of a sick person.

You may disagree with the use of the term used by the opposition, but it is what it is.

You mean exactly what happens now without the panel but a private insurance rep?

You mean exactly what happens now without the panel but a private insurance rep?

It may, but the threshhold is higher, especially when it comes to medicine use.

In a sense, whether he intended to or not, but Obama was spot on with the USPS analogy yesterday. And that's where the biggest fiscal concern lies. People understand and accept that USPS provides a lower quality of service than FedEx & UPS in exchange for delivering to any spot in the 50 states. But can you realistically extrapolate that to healthcare, and will people on the public plan accept lower quality healthcare than those in a private plan?

As we have the most populist POTUS in my memory in office, that's where my fear lies. If you try to extend the same level of care across the entire population, that's where one of two things will happen, overall quality of service will go down, or you will bust through fiscal ceilings.

It may, but the threshhold is higher, especially when it comes to medicine use.

In a sense, whether he intended to or not, but Obama was spot on with the USPS analogy yesterday. And that's where the biggest fiscal concern lies. People understand and accept that USPS provides a lower quality of service than FedEx & UPS in exchange for delivering to any spot in the 50 states. But can you realistically extrapolate that to healthcare, and will people on the public plan accept lower quality healthcare than those in a private plan?

As we have the most populist POTUS in my memory in office, that's where my fear lies. If you try to extend the same level of care across the entire population, that's where one of two things will happen, overall quality of service will go down, or you will bust through fiscal ceilings.

The public plan is intentionally a low cost bare bones plan. You have to qualify for it by not making a lot of money to even be eligible for the public plan. Again, the CBO says 11 million total will go to the public plan and about 270-280 million will be in the private plans (or the other public plans they are already in).

The public plan probably will give the public slightly lower overall care than the private plans, that's the point, that there will be a lost cost alternative like the post office. It was a very good analogy Obama used. You decide what is better for you. If you have little money, the public plan is for you because at least you are covered. The idea that opponents use that the public plan will absolutely suck AND everyone will flock to it and drive out private insurers is not only impossible (because you have to qualify) but absurd.

The public plan is intentionally a low cost bare bones plan. You have to qualify for it by not making a lot of money to even be eligible for the public plan. Again, the CBO says 11 million total will go to the public plan and about 270-280 million will be in the private plans (or the other public plans they are already in)

If I could believe that, I'd be for it. But I don't believe that. I believe that Obama and the far left liberals in congress are fixin' for a massive healthcare overhaul that will eventually throw our country into unimaginable debt. Why else are they so willing to take the public whippings at these town hall meeting and not even budge? Trust me, they are not taking these beatings for a measly 11 million uninsured people. They've got big, big, BIG plans my friend.

If I could believe that, I'd be for it. But I don't believe that. I believe that Obama and the far left liberals in congress are fixin' for a massive healthcare overhaul that will eventually throw our country into unimaginable debt. Why else are they so willing to take the public whippings at these town hall meeting and not even budge? Trust me, they are not taking these beatings for a measly 11 million uninsured people. They've got big, big, BIG plans my friend.

Be for it. From the WSJ which usually is far more right leaning.

http://blogs.wsj.com/health/2009/07/14/cbo...5-of-americans/

So House Democrats just released their big health-reform bill. As expected, it includes a new, government-backed health plan — a plan that’s been among the most contentious topics in the health reform debate. As we were poring over the analysis out today from the CBO (the Congressional scorekeeper whose estimates are key in shaping the debate), we were struck by one estimate in particular:

…total enrollment in the public plan would equal about 11 million or 12 million, counting both individually purchased policies and employer-sponsored enrollees.

That’s about 4% of the current U.S. population, and seems rather small in comparison to how much attention the debate over the public plan has drawn.

Of course, the CBO itself notes that its “estimate is subject to an unusually high degree of uncertainty,” which means that the actual number of people who enroll in a public plan could be significantly higher.

The plan would pay doctors and other practitioners 5% more than Medicare pays. Rates for hospitals and others would be the same as Medicare. And the public plan would negotiate rates for drugs, according to the CBO. The public plan would have premiums on average around 10% lower than private plans, because of factors including the lower rates it would pay to doctors and hospitals, the CBO says.

The public plan probably will give the public slightly lower overall care than the private plans, that's the point, that there will be a lost cost alternative like the post office. It was a very good analogy Obama used. You decide what is better for you. If you have little money, the public plan is for you because at least you are covered. The idea that opponents use that the public plan will absolutely suck AND everyone will flock to it and drive out private insurers is not only impossible (because you have to qualify) but absurd.

It is not absurd, because you're totally dismissing the high probability of pandering politicians voting in a free lunch that would strive to equate service among private & public plans.

It is not absurd, because you're totally dismissing the high probability of pandering politicians voting in a free lunch that would strive to equate service among private & public plans.

Nothing would ever be passed on anything if we had to worry about the possibility of pandering politicians voting for something free in the far off future. :o

People are very serious and for good reason about their health care. I just don't see that many people opting for this allegedly crappy bare bones care that isn't all that much cheaper. It likely won't have a huge effect on the cost of private care but should lower it a little because they will want to jump on the 38 million new insured since their profit margins will be slightly lower due to imposed regulations. And that's a good thing.

I don't think this is a great, let alone a perfect plan by any means, nor do I really trust the congress, but the reform needs to be done and a lot of this is a pretty good idea. One thing that seems true to me is that doing nothing is worse than a sh------- plan.