Soccer - WC Qualifying

Cugalabanza

As expected, the officiating was absolutely one-sided. US got yellow cards for breathing on Mexican players and the only Mexican player to get a card had to choke a player to do so. Not to mention the first goal should have never been if they call the blantant shirt tug that directly caused Donovan to lose the ball in the middle of the field.

Mexican guy basically punched someone in the face after the ball went out of bounds with about ten minutes left and nothing was called.

I rarely criticize officiating, but it was definitely one sided.

In regards to Gringo's analysis, I agree with just about everything you said.

Clark and Ching were invisible and Davies was dangerous. It wasn't just the run he made that was impressive, it was his first touch, and then his speed and finish. Great stuff!

Holden is gonna be a stud, I'm excited to see what more he will bring to this squad.

Oh and Ramius, he still speaks out of his ass when it comes to soccer.

Just finished watching the tape...I was pretty impressed with the aggressiveness we were showing in the first fifteen mins, and that goal by Davies was beautiful. Primadonovan should watch that clip, cause that's what happens when you combine the natural gifts God gave you with decisiveness. He didn't kitty-foot around, he controlled the ball, made a nice break, and skillfully put the ball in the net. Primadonovan would have farted around and then made a risky pass, hoping someone would have enough of a shot to make good on it.

That first Mexican goal was a friggin RIPPER. I'm less critical of us in this department than I used to be, cause there are guys on this team who will let fly with a shot from the top of the penalty box from time to time, and that's good. Relying on set pieces and PKs won't do it....you've got to be able to create your shot and put the ball on goal from distance every so often to keep the defense honest. This hombre served up a damn knuckle ball with some pace on it, and Howard had no shot. Bocanegra could have done something about it seemingly, but he has a history of backing off in situations like that.

Anyway, I thought for a while there we might pull this one out, but just wasn't meant to be....again.

Can't wait til next year, though! That's going to be a great WC....I can feel it!

Mexican guy basically punched someone in the face after the ball went out of bounds with about ten minutes left and nothing was called.

The funny part about that play was that Onyewu was the one who was pushed who is like 6-4 200 lbs by a 4 foot 2 mexican. Tough guy, specially in front of 115,000 other Mexicans

So why was Donovan so slow in the second half? He was diagnosed with the Swine Flu after the game.

http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/grant_wa...-h1n1-flu-virus

Wow, that's weird.

LD takes a lot of abuse from casual fans. I feel that those who bust on him don't really understand what he brings in terms of talent, effort and unselfish play. I've seen him dig in in tough games against top international opponents, playing beyond his position and bailing out his teammates. He makes the U.S. team better, no doubt in my mind. And over the last year or so, his game has actually improved.

Wow, that's weird.

LD takes a lot of abuse from casual fans. I feel that those who bust on him don't really understand what he brings in terms of talent, effort and unselfish play. I've seen him dig in in tough games against top international opponents, playing beyond his position and bailing out his teammates. He makes the U.S. team better, no doubt in my mind. And over the last year or so, his game has actually improved.

No doubt in any rational persons mind

i dont get it.. why do we always get owned in the azteca? :unsure::lol: i hate it. oh well, at least we'll make the world cup..

Since 1981, the Mexican side has only lost two matches at the Azteca stadium. Very tough place to play. Very high altitude, difficult smog conditions and 115,000 rabid fans cheering against you, not to mention a tough mexican team, makes it very difficult for any team to go over there and win.