Soccer - WC Qualifying

Cugalabanza

At the Estadio Azteca in Mexico City.

Very big game, especially for Mexico. They have not done well in qualifying (currently 4th place in CONCACAF and only the top 3 nations are gauranteed to qualify) and if they lose this one, they would actually be in danger of missing a WC spot. Both sides will have their top squads ready. The U.S. has never won in Mexico (0-22-1).

It will definitely be shown in Spanish on Telemundo. It might be tougher to find an English language broadcast. For some reason, ESPN could not get the rights to this one. Supposedly, it will be available on most cable and satellite carriers on a channel called MUN2. I just did a quick guide search on Comcast and couldn't find it. I guess I'll try again in a day or two. Strangely, ESPN will show a half-hour pre-game show at 3:30, but then you'll have to switch over for the game at 4:00.

Anyway, this should be a great game. I would watch it in any language. Go USA!

At the Estadio Azteca in Mexico City.

Very big game, especially for Mexico. They have not done well in qualifying (currently 4th place in CONCACAF and only the top 3 nations are gauranteed to qualify) and if they lose this one, they would actually be in danger of missing a WC spot. Both sides will have their top squads ready. The U.S. has never won in Mexico (0-22-1).

It will definitely be shown in Spanish on Telemundo. It might be tougher to find an English language broadcast. For some reason, ESPN could not get the rights to this one. Supposedly, it will be available on most cable and satellite carriers on a channel called MUN2. I just did a quick guide search on Comcast and couldn't find it. I guess I'll try again in a day or two. Strangely, ESPN will show a half-hour pre-game show at 3:30, but then you'll have to switch over for the game at 4:00.

Anyway, this should be a great game. I would watch it in any language. Go USA!

Channel 203 on Direct TV I believe will be showing it. Never knew there was a 203, but there seems to be one now or that there will be.

Btw, 4 pm is a wierd time for a WC qualifier. It's in Mexico, that probably explains it, there probably making it an optional workday over there :lol:

OK. I googled this. Apparently Dish Network and DirecTV will offer mun2 free of charge on 8/12. mun2 is showing the game in English.

Very cool move on their part. Dang, I wish I still had DTV :thumbsup:

Thanks for the reminder, Gringo.

U-S-A!!! U-S-A!!!! U-S-A!!!!

Somehow, Telemundo (NBC Universal) got the sole rights to broadcast all Mexican National soccer games that take place IN Mexico.

ESPN tried to buy the English broadcast rights but NBC Universal wouldn't budge. I'm actually surprised they didn't move the game to NBC since it's in the middle of the day and the ratings for the national team have been better than ever. Apparently mun2 is an up and coming channel in the Spanish-speaking community and they are trying to pimp it with this game.

You also gotta love how El Tri made this game during the hottest part of the day in that smog-infested capital city of theirs.

As for the game itself, I think this is the year that Azteca crumbles. I really really like the US roster heading into this game. Donovan has been playing lights-out since the Confed Cup. Tim Howard is one of the best keepers in the world.

Should be a great game.

Somehow, Telemundo (NBC Universal) got the sole rights to broadcast all Mexican National soccer games that take place IN Mexico.

ESPN tried to buy the English broadcast rights but NBC Universal wouldn't budge. I'm actually surprised they didn't move the game to NBC since it's in the middle of the day and the ratings for the national team have been better than ever. Apparently mun2 is an up and coming channel in the Spanish-speaking community and they are trying to pimp it with this game.

You also gotta love how El Tri made this game during the hottest part of the day in that smog-infested capital city of theirs.

As for the game itself, I think this is the year that Azteca crumbles. I really really like the US roster heading into this game. Donovan has been playing lights-out since the Confed Cup. Tim Howard is one of the best keepers in the world.

Should be a great game.

So it still would be on Comcast no? Comcast has Telemundo doesn't it? Not sure because I don't have Comcast.

So it still would be on Comcast no? Comcast has Telemundo doesn't it? Not sure because I don't have Comcast.

It might take some channel searching, but the game will be on for just about everyone.

So watch it on Telemundo. It's a soccer game after all, not like there's a lot of riveting commentary going on.

Have no intention of watching it at all. But I have a couple Mexican guys that work here wanting to take time to watch it. All the better if it's on Telemundo.

So watch it on Telemundo. It's a soccer game after all, not like there's a lot of riveting commentary going on.

ya, I watch it on that channel just to hear them say

goooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal

goooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal

goal

goal

goaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal

nothin beats it

:unsure:

Nice D by "toast" Donovan on the winning goal. <_<

US still oh-for-history in Mexico.

It's clear they don't pay Donovan to play D.

Too much gringo, not enough starr.

:cry:

<_<:P

They weren't able to keep possession of the ball long enough to mount any serious sustained attacks.

Agreed. It definitely did look like fatigue was a huge factor. There are good reasons Mexico never loses at Azteca. Then again, maybe the U.S. let all the hype get into their heads a bit.

Some players really disappointed in this one. Bocanegra… I can't remember the last time I was impressed by his play. Ricardo Clark was nearly invisible. Ching looked woefully MLS out there. Altidore came in late and added zero spark.

Charlie Davies did look very good. I was rolling my eyes when I saw he was starting, but then he got the goal and played well in spurts throughout. Onyewu looked solid as usual. Donovan made a beautiful pass on the goal and then he did his best to cover ground and fill holes as needed, but with little positive effect. I liked Cherundolo's hustle. Feilhaber looked good to me and I was very glad to see him subbed in, but he didn't get many chances. I loved to see Feilhaber stick up for his teammate in that 2nd half scuffle. Holden again looked world class! (this kid is no joke--he needs to be starting for the WC, possibly in place of Dempsey). He nearly got the draw with a brilliant crossing ball late.

Overall, I was disappointed with the result, but I don't think it's cause for too much concern. We should see the U.S. looking dominant for the rest of qualifying.

Didn't you hear, Landycakes is no more. The guy has been on a tear since the Confed Cup and since calling out Sir Beckham. Yeah, he got outrun on that goal but the whole team looked like it hit a wall halfway through the 2nd half.

As expected, the officiating was absolutely one-sided. US got yellow cards for breathing on Mexican players and the only Mexican player to get a card had to choke a player to do so. Not to mention the first goal should have never been if they call the blantant shirt tug that directly caused Donovan to lose the ball in the middle of the field.