Nice article on BRUUUUUCE!

Richmond Webb, former Miami Dolphins left tackle: "He took no plays off. It was going to be 60 minutes of hell."

This says it all for me .... while I hate the Fins you can't say anything but good about Webb ... he was a very talented player himself.

Richmond Webb, former Miami Dolphins left tackle: "He took no plays off. It was going to be 60 minutes of hell."

This says it all for me .... while I hate the Fins you can't say anything but good about Webb ... he was a very talented player himself.

I also like this Richmond Webb quote on him:

"You knew when you went to Buffalo you weren't going to hear snap counts. The thing that really stood out was I knew that he had to be one of the favorite players. If the game was tight and they would go to a TV timeout, when they would come back and blow whistle, he would make this quick motion with his hand, and the noise in the stadium was deafening. I was always amazed he could make that one little hand gesture and the crowd was right with him. That's not right."

'Cause we the bestest fans! :thumbsup:

Quote from Bruce:

"I've had a considerable amount of time to take a step back and actually think about it. Having studied the game over the last 19 years and from the outside watching in now over the last five years, the one thing that sticks out more and more like a sore thumb is what was accomplished in this 3-4 defensive scheme that I played in for so long. It's unprecedented.

These are facts that the best defensive end and pass rusher that played in this game played for the Buffalo Bills. The reason I'm saying that is the fact that by design, by the scheme a 3-4 defensive end gets double-teamed far more often than a 4-3 defensive end, and that's a fact. These are not hearsays.

The defensive ends in a 3-4 system gets double-teamed by the center-the guard, the guard-the tackle, the tackle-the tight end, the tackle-the running back. So there's so many possible combinations, and there's nowhere to hide. A 4-3 defensive end always lines up on the edge. He only gets a double team typically from slide protection or they may chip with a back."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-3-132...st-ask-him.html

I also like this Richmond Webb quote on him:

"You knew when you went to Buffalo you weren't going to hear snap counts. The thing that really stood out was I knew that he had to be one of the favorite players. If the game was tight and they would go to a TV timeout, when they would come back and blow whistle, he would make this quick motion with his hand, and the noise in the stadium was deafening. I was always amazed he could make that one little hand gesture and the crowd was right with him. That's not right."

'Cause we the bestest fans! :thumbsup:

AYE

There were only two tackles that I can recall going head to head with bruce in his prime and usually negating his rush: Webb and Boselli. Bruce still held the point of attack in most instances against them and was a force against the run. And he abused HOF Munoz in the late 80s.

There were only two tackles that I can recall going head to head with bruce in his prime and usually negating his rush: Webb and Boselli. Bruce still held the point of attack in most instances against them and was a force against the run. And he abused HOF Munoz in the late 80s.

I seem to remember the other #78 Bruce, Armstrong, of the Patriots, usually gave Smith a good battle.

Ken O'Brien had a lot of complimentary things to say...

of course I remember O'Brien being sacked by Bruce about 750 times.

:lol:

O'Brien was his favorite target. The league claims only 17.5 official sacks, but that doesn't include all the other hits, of course...

And what the heck -- for the two people remaining on TBD who never bothered to read my piece on Bruce from last year, here's one more chance: http://www.twobillsdrive.com/articles/game_day/42/