The Roger win cy young no. 7

millbank

Often, the older a pitcher becomes, the less effective he is on the mound. Roger Clemens apparently didn't get that memo.

On Tuesday, the 42-year-old Clemens won an unprecedented seventh Cy Young Award, the Rocket's first as a National League pitcher.

Cy Young

109947[/snapback]

Three cheers for the Rocket :lol:

Often, the older a pitcher becomes, the less effective he is on the mound. Roger Clemens apparently didn't get that memo.

On Tuesday, the 42-year-old Clemens won an unprecedented seventh Cy Young Award, the Rocket's first as a National League pitcher.

Cy Young

109947[/snapback]

Awesome. Would have been better if he were still wearing pinstripes.

Guest td reed

7 is insane,great for him.good guy

roger lucked out his last 2 cy youngs imo. randy johnson suffered from terrible run support,randy was learl the most domina pitcher in the nl and it wasnt even close imo. this is one of those times where the win/loss record is VERY MISLEADING.i still dont understand how writers(who vote) dont see something so obvious.

and in 2001 that lil fuk knuckle pedro played a third of that season healthy(about 11-12 starts) before he tore up his arm,and he(piece of crap petey) got off to one of the most incredible starts i ever seen.imo he was pitching a notch above his 99 and 2000 year. if he never tore his arm that season,he would have won his 3rd straight unanimous(sp) cy young at that time.roger wouldnt even have been a after thought for the award. but im glad things turned out the way they did.in a way,it made up for the time roger was robbed for the award when they gave it to welch all those year ago.

I think what people miss about Roger is his presence on a team how he effect other team mates to raise their levels, how he helps other pitchers and other pitchers on his staff, many like to rag on Roger as bad guy, his team mates and other ball players speak differently of him. Curt Schilling is very thankful to Roger, Halladay in Toronto who went on to win Cy Yong was thankful for Rogers mentoring as was Andy Pettitte, no doubt the manager change effected Astros greatly this season, but make no mistake that having a Roger Clemens on the team and staff changed many attitudes where they kept fighting and at least gained a playoff position. So when looking at the Cy Young, you need factor in Roger effect on others on team and the Success.

Fair enough Randy had a great year and fair enough he would have won perhaps twenty games as Astro with better run support, but would his moody persona lifted the level of the rest of the teams as Roger did, in my opinion I don’t think so and that to my is the deciding difference.

In the end you can almost flip a coin as to which performance was better but the great ones raise the level of others around them, I think Roger did that this year

He can look back fondly on it knowing he left the mound in game 7 of the NLCS a loser.

110809[/snapback]

Roger is the oldest man to win a Cy Young , he pitched the best he could at that time, hardly was he a loser, a loser is one who doesnt give their all........many folks with more points at the end of the day are losers where it matters and many short on the score board are the greatest winners because the excelled to their very best. ... the

Roger did that....... at the end of the day Roger if he wished could give many a big smile and many others the big red smilie and walk away from the game laughing his behind off having the last laugh .

I'm sure Roger would have rather been playing the Red Sox then getting that award.

Baseball awards have become a sham. Roy Oswalt pitching much better down the stretch then Clemens and won 20 games. Barry Bonds will probably win another undeserved MVP award.

Yeah I know, he gets walked all the time and still put up great numbers, but so did McGwire in '98 when Sosa won it, and the only thing I heard was "the MVP is the Most Valuable Player and Sosa got to the playoffs."

Pujols or Rolen should be the MVP but they won't get it.

I'm sure Roger would have rather been playing the Red Sox then getting that award.

Baseball awards have become a sham.  Roy Oswalt pitching much better down the stretch then Clemens and won 20 games.  Barry Bonds will probably win another undeserved MVP award.

Yeah I know, he gets walked all the time and still put up great numbers, but so did McGwire in '98 when Sosa won it, and the only thing I heard was "the MVP is the Most Valuable Player and Sosa got to the playoffs."

110823[/snapback]

The only thing Roger had at his disposal was that he do the very best he could do winning the last nine games of the season and doing his part to the best of his ability to get Astro's in playoffs each game with the season hanging on it.

Of course like the rest of the team he would have been most disappointed at not getting to World Series and beating Red Sox. But in the end if he could look in the mirror and say he did his best, he need not make any apologies to anyone, and to that end I am confident his teammates and peers feel that way about him. Without Roger they do not even get close.

The only thing in Roger's control was he does his best and be the best teammate he could be and he did that.

All the power to you it in your opinion someone else was more deserving

I'm probably just bitter towards that guy.  He cost my team homefield advantage in the World Series.

God I hate Bud Selig.

110847[/snapback]

Even if Selig hadn't changed the rule, the AL still would have had Homefield. So stop hanging your hat on that.

Besides, the Birds had 2 games at home and lost them both. Homefield didn't play a role. They just faced a redhot team who exploited the Cards' banged up rotation.

Roger's feat is impressive no matter how you look at it.

And you cannot honestly say Bonds doesn't deserve the MVP award. I don't like the guy, I think he juices, but no single player in baseball had the impact on EVERY game that Barry did this year. Pujols and Rolen are special players, but teams pitch to them. People don't pitch to Barry yet he still gets crazy numbers.

Baseball awards have become a sham.  Roy Oswalt pitching much better down the stretch then Clemens and won 20 games.  Barry Bonds will probably win another undeserved MVP award.

110823[/snapback]

Yeah, Bonds wouldn't have hit 100 home runs with one of the two Cardinals batting behind him. His team was in the playoff chase down to the last weekend. Where would they be without him? FAR below .500.

Rolen as an MVP? Yeah, great second half. Your view of baseball is so skewed...

110823[/snapback]

Gee, imagine that. Another unbiased opinion from BF about how St Louis should win everything. hahahahahahaha... :rolleyes:

THe Cards were swept!!! By a stronger team! Homefield meant squat!!!! Let it go, no go try to land R Johnson!

I'm probably just bitter towards that guy.  He cost my team homefield advantage in the World Series.

God I hate Bud Selig.

110847[/snapback]

God I hate Bud Selig.

110847[/snapback]

Bitter? You? No, never.

They could have played every one of those World Series games at Busch. The result would have been the same.

By the way BF, the Yankees play at the Cardinals June 10-12. And the Red Sox visit St. Louis June 6-8. I'd say the Cardinals have to love that home interleague schedule, especially since it's the last year for Busch Stadium.