Sealing an ashphalt driveway question

Just Jack

Working on it this week while home. The stuff I'm using recommends two coats. The driveway has not been done in at least 4 years since we moved in. The first coat I estimate will take 3.5-4 buckets based on what I've done so far. Will the 2nd coat take less since the first coat has been done?

Working on it this week while home. The stuff I'm using recommends two coats. The driveway has not been done in at least 4 years since we moved in. The first coat I estimate will take 3.5-4 buckets based on what I've done so far. Will the 2nd coat take less since the first coat has been done?

I read your Lowe's link and wasn't able to find a link to the product manufacturer.

Follow the directions on the pail explicitly. Pay particular attention to the dry time and recoat time, being mindful of the variable effects of ambient temp and humidity.

These aren't sophisticated coatings, so I think you want to get a decent amount of dry time between coats. If coat #1 doesn't set up, you can end up with the vehicle (solvent) being distributed between both applications, which for technical reasons, is a bad thing to have happen. But do what the can says.

And yes - coat #1 will do some sealing, so coat #2 will be less.

Take your brush and work that coat#1 hard into the asphalt. You want to seal its' nooks and crannies. That second coat smooths it off a bit and helps the rain flow off.

I just have it done every year around Mem Day... It costs me 100 bucks and they do a nice job... I know, I know, but I can't beat that price... Probably cost me 100 bucks anyway in supplies and the stuff out of the truck is better than the bucket stuff.

We talked with the guys doing our neighbors driveway the first year we moved in. They said based on the condition, it would be better to rip it up and put in a new driveway. But we didn't have the $2K they wanted for doing that. I figure with the second coat, it'll be around $175 for the sealer/filler.

Not to hi-jack the thread, but the smell of blacktop sealer is one of my favorite scents. It always reminds me of Crystal Beach . . .

:lol::lol:

But I hear you... Reminds me of the same thing! And also the town pools in Cheektowaga!

Jack: True, that is the way to go then... I think if they start raising my price, I may go the self route!

If 2 coats are good , 4 or 5 should be better .

I asked my wife (please do not laugh) and she said no. The first coat will fill in any spots and be absorbed but the second coat usually take more. I came home one day and she had blocked driveway and done it.

That is what I was thinking... Maybe one car wide? My is a short 2 car and I thought 100 bucks was getting off cheap! I don't know how long my driveway is... Gotta be around 30-40 plus approach...??

It's a typical suburban driveway. It's 71 feet and 2 cars wide.

I never use latex driveway sealant on my driveway. It's like paint and peels off over time.

Once you use a latex sealer you have to continue with it.

I have the installers recoat it every two years with their tar based sealer.

It's like having a brand new driveway.