Maybin coming this week?

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns...ory/753358.html

Is this speculation on his part or are there developments with any of the other draft picks that would affect Maybin's signing?

I think he means as other teams get ready to open their training camps, they will aggressively sign their top draft picks, and the magic number for Maybin comes into focus...

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2009/8/4/9...ybin-holdout-in

The holdout of Buffalo Bills rookie defensive end Aaron Maybin has reached its eleventh day. Due to the fact that the Bills reported to training camp as a full squad earlier than any other team, Maybin's holdout has been, and remains, the longest rookie holdout to date.

We wrote last week that there was no end in sight for this holdout to end; a week later, that remains the brutal truth. However, there has been some change in the past four or five days that is worth noting - even if it's mostly bad news for the Bills and Maybin.

What upsets me the most about this is the fact he won't be a starter and wasn't even drafted as one. A pick that high SHOULD start. I've been reading very positive things about Orakpo, Clay Matthews, Michael Oher, etc. Players who we could have taken. Maybin was picked 11 and isn't even projected as a starter. Is a situational pass-rusher worth that pick?

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns...ory/753358.html

Is this speculation on his part or are there developments with any of the other draft picks that would affect Maybin's signing?

no its common sense. draft picks show up when guys before them sign so you can gauge their value. i doubt there are even any significant negotiations between parker and russ right now. sanchez's contract kinda threw things out of whack for a lot of people and i think that is the delay. granted he is a QB but he is making SO much more than other guys before him that it is really impacting what agent's fight for. thanks j e t s suck suck suck

What upsets me the most about this is the fact he won't be a starter and wasn't even drafted as one. A pick that high SHOULD start. I've been reading very positive things about Orakpo, Clay Matthews, Michael Oher, etc. Players who we could have taken. Maybin was picked 11 and isn't even projected as a starter. Is a situational pass-rusher worth that pick?

The plan isn't for him to be a situational pass rusher his entire career. The pick was made with more than just this season in mind.

The plan isn't for him to be a situational pass rusher his entire career. The pick was made with more than just this season in mind.

I totally understand. It's just frustrating he can't step right in like a lot of other defensive players drafted in the first round

I totally understand. It's just frustrating he can't step right in like a lot of other defensive players drafted in the first round

Beastmode...its hard not to notice(based on the second thread in 3 days about the same topic) that you are very concerned about the missed time for Maybin.

If the last thread didnt relax you-here it goes again:

1. This is common. No players long-term career is ruined by a rookie holdout.

2. Bills started camp early this year. So technically-look at this hold out at day 2, not 11 or whatever it is actually at.

3. DE rookies typically take 2 yrs to develop anyway, so we are probably not missing all that much short term.

I get your concern, dude. Trust me...it will happen. And when it does, Maybin and the team will be fine....relatively speaking.

Can Crabtree and his agent be that stupid? Should the Bills give Maybin less than Orakpo because most prognosticators had Orakpo going higher?

Not stupid, just stubborn. IMO, the logjam of unsigned picks between Dirty Sanchez and Orakpo is due to a couple of factors. One is the enormous amount of money that Sanchez received at 5, being a QB. The other is the Crabtree situation, which is unfortunate given the fact that he immediately precedes Maybin in draft order. Crabtree, by almost universal consensus, was the best WR available by far. The Heyward-Bey pick dropped him down to 10, but Crabs obviously wants money on par with DH-B, picked 3 spots higher. It certainly is a clusterfizz.

Also, the only DE picked higher than Maybin, Tyson Jackson, remains unsigned as well (although TJ technically plays a different position as a 3-4 DE.)

No. You pick 11, you should get an impact player. Period. The notion that Maybin is only a "situational" player makes his hold-out even more odd.

Maybe he should take a cue from our president and "re-calibrate" his position.

Year 1 - Can't sniff the field

Year 2 - Sophomore Slump

Year 3 - Shows Promise

Year 4 - Stud in the making

Year 5 - Holds out

Year 6 - Signs with the Niners for the biggest contract in history.

No. You pick 11, you should get an impact player. Period. The notion that Maybin is only a "situational" player makes his hold-out even more odd.

Maybe he should take a cue from our president and "re-calibrate" his position.

HAVE WE EVER PICKED ANYONE SO HIGH AND THEN GIVEN SUCH LOW EXPECTATIONS?

Nobody seems concerned if he gets to camp, if he starts, or if he makes an impact for a couple of years.

geeze, first time I looked at the contract money. $41 million guaranteed and hasn't even played a down yet. A OT getting $33 million guaranteed!

Another example of why rookie sloting money should be part of the next CBA.