John Clayton on Bills

One of the most intriguing training camp stories this summer is the effect of Terrell Owens on the Buffalo Bills.

Any questions?

Have a question for John Clayton? Connect with him here.

The Bills gambled on Owens because he can open up things for fellow receiver Lee Evans and quarterback Trent Edwards. Last season, defenses doubled Evans and took away the running game, and the offense couldn't do anything.

Grant from Buffalo, N.Y., wonders whether the Bills are spending so much time on the no-huddle offense "because the entire offensive line is being restructured."

I think it's an interesting concept. During the first week of training camp, the Bills' offense didn't have one huddle on a play. Of course, that's probably good for Edwards, because he won't have to listen to Owens complaining about not getting the ball.

I think the decision to go no-huddle was more because of Edwards' style of quarterbacking. He's a pocket passer who makes quick decisions. Watching this offense develop is one of the most interesting things this summer.

You might not see a lot of the offense during the Hall of Fame game between the Tennessee Titans and the Bills on Sunday, because Buffalo's first-string offense won't be on the field for more than a series or two. But the early reviews are encouraging.

Q: Do you think that the Bills can make the playoffs now that they have T.O.? I am the Bills' biggest fan and followed them through all their heartbreaks. Do you think coach Dick Jauron is too soft, and should we try to get Bill Cowher next year?

From Ron in Charlotte, N.C.

A: The best hope for the Bills is to make a wild-card run behind the New England Patriots. They have a chance. T.O. gives them the threat to improve their offense by an average of 4.0 points per game. Despite the Bills' tough schedule, I still believe they can improve, because I don't see them going 0-6 in the AFC East as they did last year. If they can go 3-3 in the division, they have a chance for nine wins. I don't think Jauron is too soft. Years ago, he had a 13-win season as coach of the Chicago Bears. So much of his problem is related to the talent of the team around him. Face it. The Bills can't afford a $7 million-a-year coach such as Cowher. If Jauron can make the playoffs, I think he will be safe, and we can renew the discussion about Jauron next year.

Wow, the Bills' biggest fan. That's really something.

His mom also told him that he is the best player on his intermural soccer team and that everyone got a trophy but his was the only one that was real.

..."I think the decision to go no-huddle was more because of Edwards' style of quarterbacking. He's a pocket passer who makes quick decisions. Watching this offense develop is one of the most interesting things this summer."...

If so, then they better find the way to maintain that pocket...

It's amazing the number of people who continue to bring up Jauron's ONE winning season of 13-3 to justify him being a good head coach.

I swear the only thing that would make me want the Bills to keep Jauron as a head coach is a 10-6 record this year and a wildcard berth. That's it.

A strong quick passing game will do a lot to keep Edwards upright.

Featuring a strong quick passing game means short passes, so the D figures that out and pulls close to the LOS and breaks receivers into bite-size bits, and are also in position to squash the run. They gladly risk the odd bomb.

Yes, Edwards may well remain upright. He can say Hi to Lindell as he trots to the sidelines. :huh:

Wow, the Bills' biggest fan. That's really something.

If you had to list the top 1000 fans of NFL teams probably half of them would be Bills fans. Living all over the country after leaving Buffalo in 1982 I have never met fans like Bills fans who routinely drive 250 to 500 miles back to Buffalo for several home games a year or still follow every move the Bills make year round while living thousands of miles away. Also, every person I have ever met from Buffalo in the states where I lived still rooted for the Bills, even if they had been gone for 30 years.

On the other hand I meet people here in New Hampshire that used to live in other NFL cities and they are all Pats* fans now.

Featuring a strong quick passing game means short passes, so the D figures that out and pulls close to the LOS and breaks receivers into bite-size bits, and are also in position to squash the run. They gladly risk the odd bomb.

Yes, Edwards may well remain upright. He can say Hi to Lindell as he trots to the sidelines. :huh:

How else would you protect our offensive line from blitzes? Besides, T.O. and Lee are so dangerous that any defense will always have to protect against the bomb.

It's amazing the number of people who continue to bring up Jauron's ONE winning season of 13-3 to justify him being a good head coach.

I swear the only thing that would make me want the Bills to keep Jauron as a head coach is a 10-6 record this year and a wildcard berth. That's it.

I feel the same fu**ing way

So a 13-3 record and AFC East Championship means you want Jauron gone?

So a 13-3 record and AFC East Championship means you want Jauron gone?

:huh: not exactly. i'd be willing to chalk it up to great and talented players, team chemistry, and some good fortune shining down on the Bills.

Lol if we went 13-3, I'd probably guess it'd be in spite of Jauron, not because of him. But that would definitely be enough to say bring him back...

If you had to list the top 1000 fans of NFL teams probably half of them would be Bills fans. Living all over the country after leaving Buffalo in 1982 I have never met fans like Bills fans who routinely drive 250 to 500 miles back to Buffalo for several home games a year or still follow every move the Bills make year round while living thousands of miles away. Also, every person I have ever met from Buffalo in the states where I lived still rooted for the Bills, even if they had been gone for 30 years.

On the other hand I meet people here in New Hampshire that used to live in other NFL cities and they are all Pats* fans now.

There are only 2 Teams that can compete with the Bills fans down here in SW Fla, the Bears & Browns & they are both from much bigger Cities.

How else would you protect our offensive line from blitzes? Besides, T.O. and Lee are so dangerous that any defense will always have to protect against the bomb.

I would whack TO and Evans within the allowed 5 yards. Most WRs are crybabies, and they would be in a snit after a few smacks and start pouting and lose focus.

Against the blitz - run a quick snap to an up FB up the middle 4 or 5 times a game. Given that most DCs are cowards, this would freak them out and they would do panicky things.

Use it especially on the zone blitz clubs. A big FB playing up with a quick count following a G-C-G straight-ahead push will get you 3 yards or more while they fancy-fart around.

It's amazing the number of people who think any coach can win without talent. The Bills haven't had any since they hired Jauron. You should be praising him for winning 7 games with the sorry teams he has had to work with in Buffalo. I love the Bills as much as anyone, but for f**k's sake, can we stop pretending they have ever been remotely close to good during DJ's tenure here?