With Butler's back inury

scribo

Chambers didn't start at LT last season during the Peters saga. If they moved Walker for those first games, it tells me about the coaching staff's belief in Chambers at LT. Personally, he's a man without a solid position. They played him at OG, particularly the away NE game, and he had a rough go of it.

There are only so many times an OT will get help from a TE. I remember being upset that Fairchild held a TE in on many downs two seasons ago, but with inferior OT's, it's a requirement.

Not to mention, the depth at the position such as Bell, et al are young rookies. I'd like to see a veteran, but the pickings are slim. Perhaps Levi Jones hasn't been signed for injury reasons, I don't know. But if there was ever a time to find one, it's now. I don't see Butler holding up the entire season.

I was going to post something along the lines of "don't underestimate what another season under Chambers' belt can mean," but then I remembered this is Chambers' sixth season. I would think the Bills have good grasp of just what he can and cannot do.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To me the Bulter injury just MIGHT be a blessing . Don't get me wrong I wish an injury on nobody but if Kelsey was beating him in practice on the regular we had a problem.

If he is out for a few weeks this may force the Bills to put Chambers at LT and move Walker back to RT where he belongs. Chambers did play there last year and I think he held his own. Either way the TE will have to give him some help in passing downs.

They will have to bring somebody in just to get threw training camp.

I would not be upset at this starting line for NE

Chamber, Wood, Hangartner, Levetre, Walker.

Cant be worse than last season, or can it ???

Most of what Rice did involved running up hills, etc., right?

An NFL LT prepares for a season by hitting, and getting hit by monsters as well as the other stuff. You could be the strongest guy on earth, but things change when a guy like Eric Wood is firing out and blasting you, or John Henderson is hitting you. If it was easy, every strong, fit, big guy could play in the NFL, no?

My point is simply that it is a different type of preparation.

Right but Peters could do a lot to stay in top shape at LT--minus the hitting. Edwards and other QBs don't throw balls a million times during an off-season but they lift, run, swim, and do other sh-- to keep their bodies in top condition. RBs don't let linebackers maul them every day but they are working on their legs and strength. You think Peters did that last off-season? No chance. He was a punky B word last year, nowhere near a top competitor with a top attitude.

Still the best lineman the Bills had last year, which is like being the tallest Lilliputian. And his talent--despite all the times he mailed it in and !@#$ed up--will be missed.

I think Parker may have wanted him to toe a fine line between staying in "shape" (and by that I mean working out and having the cardio to prep him to be in football shape) and not injuring himself sitting on the couch eating bon bons. I'd like to think Jason pushed himself throughout the process, but I seriously doubt it, other than a few wind sprints and the treadmill.

I think Parker may have wanted him to toe a fine line between staying in "shape" (and by that I mean working out and having the cardio to prep him to be in football shape) and not injuring himself sitting on the couch eating bon bons. I'd like to think Jason pushed himself throughout the process, but I seriously doubt it, other than a few wind sprints and the treadmill.

You just have to look at his play the 1st 5-6 games he played to know he didn't do squat, or sprints for that matter.

Yes, he held out. This is what has everybody upset. There was no way he could report in game shape. It isn't possible. I met Jumbo Elliot and asked him about Peters (I made a thread about it). He told me that it was absolutely not possible for a human to report after a holdout like this and be in shape to play LT in the NFL.

Part of the reason we lost Peters is because he was stubborn. The other part is because the Bills were also stubborn, and they do not place proper emphasis upon the OL positions. Hopefully this has changed looking at the 2009 draft, but it takes time to correct a long term philosophy of losing and idiocy. It takes even longer to replace a star LT in the NFL. They don't grow on trees, ya know?

Unless you are an elite LT.

Anyway, Bell has been getting some serious reps already, so we might see him slide into the starting lineup while Butler is out.

Unless you are an elite LT.

Anyway, Bell has been getting some serious reps already, so we might see him slide into the starting lineup while Butler is out.

I think that there is no doubt in the world that Jumbo Elliot was an elite LT, and I am repeating what the man said.

As for Bell, we need to see how strong he is. He, like Chambers, projects more to LT than RT. 9 reps with 225 is hardly a mauler. He must be incredibly agile to even be around at all.

I WANT to think positive. It would be great if everything works out, but this looks like an all too familiar situation for the Bills. If Stroud gets hurt we will be even worse than we are at OT, but at least we have 300 defensive backs. ;)

I think that there is no doubt in the world that Jumbo Elliot was ab elite LT, and I am repeating what the man said.

As for Bell, we need to see how strong he is. He, like Chambers, projects more to LT than RT. 9 reps with 225 is hardly a mauler. He must be incredibly agile to even be around at all.

I WANT to think positive. It would be great if everything works out, but this looks like an all too familiar situation for the Bills. If Stroud gets hurt we will be even worse than we are at OT, but at least we have 300 defensive backs. ;)

What would you be willing to be that he doesn't bench just 9 reps of 225# anymore?

What would you be willing to be that he doesn't bench just 9 reps of 225# anymore?

One would hope. I would expect one of Jauron's DBs to lift that much. My point is that it isn't a good sign, and is probably why he was the 12th pick of round 7. Other than Peters, can you name any really good LTs drafted that low? No, because it doesn't happen.

I want Bell to be the next Peters at least as much as you. The thing is, Peters was stronger than Bell when he was still playing TE. Then he moved to LT and played it with a ton of strength and TE agility. As John Adams said, last year he was way off and was still better than anything we had.

Don't you view this scenario as chickens coming home to roost?

I think that there is no doubt in the world that Jumbo Elliot was an elite LT, and I am repeating what the man said.

I'm just saying, Walter Jones missed 3-4 training camps in a row, and gave up 0 sacks during some of those seasons. The top 3-4 LTs in a decade will usually make the HOF, and Peters is definitely not going to the hall.

I know you want to believe, Bill, and I hope your faith will be rewarded....

Bell is too much of an unknown to even believe he'll be more than an observer from the bench this season. I know he's stronger today than draft day 2008, but when 250+# OLB's like Porter and Adalius Thomas get a 3-5 yard head start, an OT needs to anchor. I'm not sure Bell can do that.

From Buffalo Rumblings yesterday:

"For those of you who have been on Demetrius Bell Watch, waiting for the second-year pro to lock down a starting tackle job, you may have been surprised to hear that when Butler went down, it was Chambers who replaced him at right tackle. This is perspective, folks - as good as Bell has looked in camp thus far (and it's worth noting that he was beaten cleanly by Chris Ellis on one play today), he's nowhere near ready for significant playing time. Buffalo's coaches realize that, and we should too."

He was a two year project, and it's half-way to that point.

One would hope. I would expect one of Jauron's DBs to lift that much. My point is that it isn't a good sign, and is probably why he was the 12th pick of round 7. Other than Peters, can you name any really good LTs drafted that low? No, because it doesn't happen.

I want Bell to be the next Peters at least as much as you. The thing is, Peters was stronger than Bell when he was still playing TE. Then he moved to LT and played it with a ton of strength and TE agility. As John Adams said, last year he was way off and was still better than anything we had.

Don't you view this scenario as chickens coming home to roost?

I don't know. Most people thought the Bills were crazy to start Peters back in 2005. If Bell were some nobody, I wouldn't be talking him up. But his father is an NBA HOF'er, so he's got the bloodlines (although if he were an NBA player, I'd give him less of a chance to succeed there than in the NFL). He's also got the agility for basketball, which is what he played until he got to college. He's raw and admittedly needed to add strength.

Personally I'd rather put him in there and get him going now because you can only molly-coddle players so long before you find out whether they have it or not. Just like with Peters.

Yes, he held out. This is what has everybody upset. There was no way he could report in game shape. It isn't possible. I met Jumbo Elliot and asked him about Peters (I made a thread about it). He told me that it was absolutely not possible for a human to report after a holdout like this and be in shape to play LT in the NFL.

Part of the reason we lost Peters is because he was stubborn. The other part is because the Bills were also stubborn, and they do not place proper emphasis upon the OL positions. Hopefully this has changed looking at the 2009 draft, but it takes time to correct a long term philosophy of losing and idiocy. It takes even longer to replace a star LT in the NFL. They don't grow on trees, ya know?

correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Marv give Peters that first contract extension in 2006? so don't say it's marv's fault....

secondly, they though with bringing in dockery they had a solid left side of the line. watching him play in Washington, he was definitely an above average LG, but apparently just never got better here in buffalo. maybe that one's on marv. but I don't fault him for taking a starting safety where he did. sure it's not Ed Reed, newsflash, there aren't a lot of HOF safeties out there, but he is an above average SS that few people give him credit for... the major problem was Donahoe and to a degree Butler, for the mess we are still getting out of. Butler for the horrible, horrible contracts he gave players that resulted in Donahoe taking on 3 years of dead cap space and then Donahoe for always trying to "sell" the product by making splashy moves while ignoring the heart and soul of a team - the trenches - throughout the draft.

correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Marv give Peters that first contract extension in 2006? so don't say it's marv's fault....

secondly, they though with bringing in dockery they had a solid left side of the line. watching him play in Washington, he was definitely an above average LG, but apparently just never got better here in buffalo. maybe that one's on marv. but I don't fault him for taking a starting safety where he did. sure it's not Ed Reed, newsflash, there aren't a lot of HOF safeties out there, but he is an above average SS that few people give him credit for... the major problem was Donahoe and to a degree Butler, for the mess we are still getting out of. Butler for the horrible, horrible contracts he gave players that resulted in Donahoe taking on 3 years of dead cap space and then Donahoe for always trying to "sell" the product by making splashy moves while ignoring the heart and soul of a team - the trenches - throughout the draft.

maybe juaron can have one of his cornerbacks play on the line. people on here seem to think that anyone can play o line in the nfl is they have a good attitude and positive outlook

If we drafted lineman like we do DBs we wouldnt be having this discussion. We wouldnt have a problem with our DBs either as we would still have all the DBs on our roster we cut/let walk to make new room for our new DBs.