Post Office removing postal mail boxes

Albany,n.y.

Has the post office taken away any mailboxes near you?

They removed the mail drop box down my block and I noticed another one removed in my neighborhood. It looks like a cost cutting move. I don't know if it's just a local thing or nationwide.

Has the post office taken away any mailboxes near you?

They removed the mail drop box down my block and I noticed another one removed in my neighborhood. It looks like a cost cutting move. I don't know if it's just a local thing or nationwide.

I haven't noticed anything, recently, but I can tell you there are FAR fewer mailboxes now than there were 20-30 years ago. Growing up, there seemed to be a mailbox on every other corner, in both business and residential neighborhoods. Now, you have to know where one is, it seems, unless you want to drive to the post office.

Of course, you can usually just leave the mail in your mailbox and the carrier will take it. This doesn't always fit the circumstances, and I have had the carrier leave the outgoing mail for days on end.

About 10 years ago they took the mailbox that was located on the street that I took to work. I lived in an apartment and didn't trust leaving my bills sitting out for the neighbors to see, so I'd drop them in the box instead of driving all the way out to the post office.

... cost cutting ... those collection boxes that get a lot of volume will remain ... one less stop for a city / rural carrier to zero out the box (pick up the mail) saves the USPS money ... not to worry ... we won't go under and six day delivery will continue ...