Obama's "Sky High" Poll Numbers

This is a good article outlining Obama's poll numbers over the 6 months and how the media overplayed the "sky high" poll numbers he had, when in reality they were average to below average for new presidents.

http://realclearpolitics.blogs.time.com/20...s-poll-numbers/

"There is a need to correct some of the media misanalysis regarding Barack Obama's standing in public opinion polls.

First, let's clarify where Obama stands in the public's mind. Obama's approval rating has declined to the low 50s, according to several recent polls. The rate of that decline is larger and faster than many presidents, such as George W. Bush and Jimmy Carter, as I detailed here. Obama's approval rating was average over his first half-year in office, and he stood eighth out of the 11 modern presidents on the date of his six-month anniversary in office, as I detailed here."

A conclusion in search of evidence.

"The poll, administered June 12-16, found that 72 percent of respondents favored the creation of a government health-insurance plan that would compete with private insurers. It also said 50 percent of respondents thought the government would do a better job providing medical coverage than private insurers.

...the Times/CBS poll said 48 percent of respondents had voted for Obama, versus 25 percent for McCain, a nearly two-to-one advantage for Obama supporters."

Obama's won 53 - 46 percent majority in November, not the 66 percent that this poll's respondents reflect.

I sincerely hope you understand I was being sarcastic.

In your sarcasm, you were more correct than 90% of the Obamaheads on this board. I truly believe he cares more about what the Eurotrash and others in the world think about him than what the people of this country do.

That's quite an understatement.

Ha! One needs only look at his campaign behavior -- NOT YET ELECTED, he travels to Europe on a fell-good tour. What gave him the right to speak for America in Europe before his election? Hubris at its worst.

Ha! One needs only look at his campaign behavior -- NOT YET ELECTED, he travels to Europe on a fell-good tour. What gave him the right to speak for America in Europe before his election? Hubris at its worst.

I truly believe that you are missing the point.

This is a good article outlining Obama's poll numbers over the 6 months and how the media overplayed the "sky high" poll numbers he had, when in reality they were average to below average for new presidents.

http://realclearpolitics.blogs.time.com/20...s-poll-numbers/

"There is a need to correct some of the media misanalysis regarding Barack Obama's standing in public opinion polls.

First, let's clarify where Obama stands in the public's mind. Obama's approval rating has declined to the low 50s, according to several recent polls. The rate of that decline is larger and faster than many presidents, such as George W. Bush and Jimmy Carter, as I detailed here. Obama's approval rating was average over his first half-year in office, and he stood eighth out of the 11 modern presidents on the date of his six-month anniversary in office, as I detailed here."

My take ....Obama won the Democratic Nomination in Spring of last year.....which pretty much made him Party leader for about 10 months before he was even inaugurated. Lots of time for luster to wear off...

Anyway....I'm not really sure you can throw Ford and Johnson into comparables.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=apHNO9NOUupo

President Barack Obama’s approval rating is falling on concern unemployment is rising and the budget deficit will grow, a Quinnipiac University poll shows.

Exactly half of the registered voters surveyed from July 27 to Aug. 3 by Quinnipiac said they approve of the job Obama is doing, compared with 42 percent who disapprove. That’s down from 57 percent approval and 33 percent disapproval in a poll taken in late June, according to results released today.

Americans are upset about rising unemployment and worried that health-care plans making their way through Congress will add to the U.S. budget deficit, said Peter Brown, assistant director of the Hamden, Connecticut-based polling institute. The combination has helped drive down the president’s ratings.

A “willingness to give him the benefit of the doubt is, among some voters, evaporating,” Brown told reporters in Washington yesterday.

I thought this was interesting:

Quinnipiac took the poll in the middle of a controversy over Obama’s remarks about the arrest of Harvard University scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. Gates, who is black, was arrested on a disorderly conduct charge after a confrontation at his home in Cambridge, Massachusetts, with a white police officer.

Obama, asked about the incident during a July 22 news conference, said police “acted stupidly” in making the arrest. In the poll, voters by 49 percent to 33 percent said Obama acted “stupidly” when he waded into the matter. Even so, 55 percent said they approved of the way Obama is handling race relations.

:rolleyes:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...id=apHNO9NOUupo

President Barack Obama’s approval rating is falling on concern unemployment is rising and the budget deficit will grow, a Quinnipiac University poll shows.

Exactly half of the registered voters surveyed from July 27 to Aug. 3 by Quinnipiac said they approve of the job Obama is doing, compared with 42 percent who disapprove. That’s down from 57 percent approval and 33 percent disapproval in a poll taken in late June, according to results released today.

Americans are upset about rising unemployment and worried that health-care plans making their way through Congress will add to the U.S. budget deficit, said Peter Brown, assistant director of the Hamden, Connecticut-based polling institute. The combination has helped drive down the president’s ratings.

A “willingness to give him the benefit of the doubt is, among some voters, evaporating,” Brown told reporters in Washington yesterday.

I thought this was interesting:

Quinnipiac took the poll in the middle of a controversy over Obama’s remarks about the arrest of Harvard University scholar Henry Louis Gates Jr. Gates, who is black, was arrested on a disorderly conduct charge after a confrontation at his home in Cambridge, Massachusetts, with a white police officer.

Obama, asked about the incident during a July 22 news conference, said police “acted stupidly” in making the arrest. In the poll, voters by 49 percent to 33 percent said Obama acted “stupidly” when he waded into the matter. Even so, 55 percent said they approved of the way Obama is handling race relations.

:rolleyes:

Gallup has Obama up 3 points since the Gates fiasco.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/122012/Obama-Jo...dges-Up-56.aspx

Gallup has Obama up 3 points since the Gates fiasco.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/122012/Obama-Jo...dges-Up-56.aspx

funny, in that link I found this:

He has been embroiled in controversy surrounding his public comments about the arrest of Harvard professor Henry Gates by the Cambridge, Mass., police. All of these are possible reasons for the decline in Obama's approval rating.

funny, in that link I found this:

He has been embroiled in controversy surrounding his public comments about the arrest of Harvard professor Henry Gates by the Cambridge, Mass., police. All of these are possible reasons for the decline in Obama's approval rating.

Exactly, the Gates thing drove his AR down to 52% last week.

Exactly, the Gates thing drove his AR down to 52% last week.

it didn't help that is for sure. In the sort of issue that he "miscalibrated" his words, he probably did some permanent damage against himself politically with a few voters. He most likely alienated some of the police force and some of the independent white voters. The only people who thought he didn't act "stupidly", Obama that is, are people who most likely had all ready voted for him in the prior election.

But the main issue is the Health Care debate, Unemployment and Deficits. As unemployment rises, it will be more and more difficult for him politically, this jobless recovery to me is oxymoronically moronic.

The Health Care issue advanced a little bit last week in the House, and I'm sure that gave him a very slight pop, and the Cash for Clunkers I would imagine also did as well, but my guess is that as unemployment goes higher, there will be an inverse cause and effect with his poll numbers.

In the sort of issue that he "miscalibrated" his words

I'm not picking on you, but what's the deal with "miscalibrated". It's a legitimate word, part of the language. Is there a rule on the right that says you're not allowed to use words containing more than 3 syllables? Is Obama's use of it considered elitist or something?