Life gets tougher every day

I've got the computer version for when I'm on the road and killing time in the hotel, but have gotten bored with it when I discovered how cheaply the computer will trade a property. For instance, if a property cost $200, offer the computer $201 and they'll accept it.

Is your computer named Steely Dan?

Slumlord.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :doh:

Statistically, the orange and red properties are the best. They give the best ROI, plus are the most commonly landed on. Second-best are the purple and yellow.

Although there is something to be said about Chef's railroad strategy, as well. I've gotten killed by that before.

I can't see how that works when you only have four chances of landing on it, except for the lucky pull of the card, of which there are only two. Since the front row is so cheap to build up you can have Hotels up very quickly.

BTW, does anybody else put all the fines in the center of the board and when somebody lands on parking place they get all of it?

You say that like it's a bad thing. :doh:

I can't see how that works when you only have four chances of landing on it, except for the lucky pull of the card, of which there are only two. Since the front row is so cheap to build up

Do the math. You own properties you have three. You own RRs you have four. The odds are greater that someone is going to land on one of your RRs. That's $200 each time. The cash piles up and in this game, like life, cash is king. Now you have to do this in conjuction with getting properties that you can build homes. What good are properties if you can't afford to put houses on them. Early on, if I've gotten all four RRs and people are landing on them and I'm socking away the cash, when I get a set of properties I put lots of houses on, right away.

Do the math. You own properties you have three. You own RRs you have four. The odds are greater that someone is going to land on one of your RRs. That's $200 each time. The cash piles up and in this game, like life, cash is king. Now you have to do this in conjuction with getting properties that you can build homes. What good are properties if you can't afford to put houses on them. Early on, if I've gotten all four RRs and people are landing on them and I'm socking away the cash, when I get a set of properties I put lots of houses on, right away.

IMO, three in a row is easier to land on than one on each side. JMO Also, the quick way to put up hotels is to get them really cheaply. Hence, my slumlord strategy. If you own that whole side it's rare that somebody escapes one of those properties.

BTW, does anybody else put all the fines in the center of the board and when somebody lands on parking place they get all of it?

I've heard of Free Parking... is this some kind of hybrid space on the board or something new? :doh:

Yes, we do the same at our house when we play. I use the Chef RR strategy BTW. Park Place and Boardwalk are sucker bets if you ask me. It's like hitting "00" on roulette.

IMO, three in a row is easier to land on than one on each side. JMO Also, the quick way to put up hotels is to get them really cheaply. Hence, my slumlord strategy. If you own that whole side it's rare that somebody escapes one of those properties.

Nope that's why you probably suck at this game. Someone rolls right over your three properties they don't come around for awhile. I'm sitting there on each of the four sides fo the board just waiting to collect.

Do any of you guys

1. alow players to buy real estate on the first time around or

2. Put $50 and all of the taxes into the middle and whoever lands on free parking collects it?

What are you doing the first time around, cruising for chicks? Isn't the point of the game to buy real estate?

No to 1 and yes to 2

I usually play you must go around once before you buy property. I remember getting into the biggest argument with my wife over the free parking money. She had never played that way and insisted that free parking was simply a safe spot to land and had nothing to do with collecting cash. The money in the middle was just a house rule that I always played by.

I usually play you must go around once before you buy property. I remember getting into the biggest argument with my wife over the free parking money. She had never played that way and insisted that free parking was simply a safe spot to land and had nothing to do with collecting cash. The money in the middle was just a house rule that I always played by.

That free parking must be a WNY thing. My wife never heard of it either. Oh BTW I just told her that the guys on the message board are trying to tell me how to play Monopoly. Her response: "they're wasting their time." Everytime we play she wonders how I can incorporate my Monopoly skills into real life money. :doh:

What are you doing the first time around, cruising for chicks? Isn't the point of the game to buy real estate?

I could be wrong, but I believe the rules state that you must go around the board once before you're allowed to buy.

I could be wrong, but I believe the rules state that you must go around the board once before you're allowed to buy.

Could be but Jesus Christ the game can be long enough as it is (my wife and I have been known to drink several bottles of wine between the two of us during a game) so let's the the show on the road, I've got money to make, slums to lord over, railroads to run!

Could be but Jesus Christ the game can be long enough as it is (my wife and I have been known to drink several bottles of wine between the two of us during a game) so let's the the show on the road, I've got money to make, slums to lord over, railroads to run!

Testify Chef,

Nope that's why you probably suck at this game. Someone rolls right over your three properties they don't come around for awhile. I'm sitting there on each of the four sides fo the board just waiting to collect.

I win every time. My friends won't play monopoly with me anymore. :devil:

I win every time. My friends won't play monopoly with me anymore. :thumbdown:

So do I. I would love to challenge you. Keep in mind I'm not only going for the RRs I also compliment that with getting houses/hotels set up someplace. Owning all the RRs keeps the cash flowing. The key is not only having lots of properties, it's having the cash to pay the rent that you're inevitably going to have to pay.