Want the pandemic (don't call me swine) flu vaccine?

Beerball

Better get pregnant.

The top-priority group includes about 160 million people and contains five populations: pregnant women; household contacts of children younger than 6 months; health-care and emergency medical services workers; everyone 6 months to 24 years old; and people 25 to 64 who have conditions that put them at higher risk of serious infection and death.

Once the priority groups have been immunized, the vaccine can be offered to healthy adults ages 25 to 64, and after them, people 65 and older, the committee advised.

6 months to 25 years old??? Uh, is anyone here in better health than they were at 25?

But seriously, where are our esteemed TSW medical professionals to give us the straight dope? Is this going to be a necessary thing? Or will it be like the flu-shot b.s. where they try to scare healthy people who have full access to medical care into getting an unnecessary vaccination.

This "swine flu" thing is so overhyped.

That's the real question. Obviously the initial hype was nonsense, but is this going to come back big once winter comes? The UK seems to be on the verge of a panic over the rising #s there.

This "swi

Perhaps, perhaps not...

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20090728/NEWS01/307280003

One death is a tragedy, 36,000 deaths is a statistic.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2240054/posts

Minnesota doesn't even test for the swine flu (although I found a couple of articles from April that say they're "supposed to."). One of my wife's coworkers had the swine flu, and they didn't test for it until a few days after the fact. When it was confirmed, the treatment was the same - drink plenty of fluids and get plenty of orest. Just like the flu that kills 36,000/year.

CW

They had something like 125 confirmed cases here at the AF Academy a couple weeks ago. So they have those infected in a quarantined area with painters masks on... I don't know about you, but those painters masks don't exactly give the feeling of safety. Once classes start back up in a week, I'm sure it will start spreading all over again. Once I get it, I'll post what to expect so you all will know the warning signs! :pirate:

Fuggin place... ;)

6 months to 25 years old??? Uh, is anyone here in better health than they were at 25?

Most people over the age of 25 have in one way or another been exposed to H1N1 before (i.e. in 1976), so have at least partial resistance to it.

Again - just like the regular flu. :flirt:

http://www.pamf.org/flu/preg.html

A large study of influenza-related illness during pregnancy was reported in 1998...

The study found that during the flu season, pregnant women in the third trimester were just as likely to be hospitalized for heart or lung problems as women with serious, chronic medical conditions who were not pregnant. The risk increased the farther along they were in their pregnancies.

Read up on it . In 1918, it came through early as a regular flu, then it came back in the fall after mutating and killed 20-40 MILLION people worldwide. It killed mostly younger people (older people had been exposed to a less virulent strain in the past) in a week. Now at least we have vaccines for it. I got the swine flu shot in 1976 and I was fine.

Read up on it . In 1918, it came through early as a regular flu, then it came back in the fall after mutating and killed 20-40 MILLION people worldwide. It killed mostly younger people (older people had been exposed to a less virulent strain in the past) in a week. Now at least we have vaccines for it. I got the swine flu shot in 1976 and I was fine.

And the H1N1 pandemic before that and after that were normal flu pandemics. The 1918 pandemic only means it can happen, not that it's inevitable this time around.

And the H1N1 pandemic before that and after that were normal flu pandemics. The 1918 pandemic only means it can happen, not that it's inevitable this time around.

Yes - but it seems that a portion that get this bug are really hit hard. It seems those two youngsters in Indiana met their demise with a renal system attack, followed on with cardiac problems. I don't know what the progression was of other deaths.

As the story unfolded here over the several days - being local, it was of course well covered in the media - I can't say I recall any especial mention of unusual lung involvement beyond the norm for influenza.

I'm no epidemiologist or pathologist - no researcher of influenza outbreaks. This thing is nagging my mind, somehow. Some sort of feeling, a vague "out of the ordinary", if you will.

Maybe I'm just being unduly paranoid - dunno.

Yes - but it seems that a portion that get this bug are really hit hard. It seems those two youngsters in Indiana met their demise with a renal system attack, followed on with cardiac problems. I don't know what the progression was of other deaths.

As the story unfolded here over the several days - being local, it was of course well covered in the media - I can't say I recall any especial mention of unusual lung involvement beyond the norm for influenza.

I'm no epidemiologist or pathologist - no researcher of influenza outbreaks. This thing is nagging my mind, somehow. Some sort of feeling, a vague "out of the ordinary", if you will.

Maybe I'm just being unduly paranoid - dunno.

You're being paranoid:

The study found that during the flu season, pregnant women in the third trimester were just as likely to be hospitalized for heart or lung problems as women with serious, chronic medical conditions who were not pregnant. The

EDIT: Oh, misread your post... Let me see if I can find renal issues instead :doh:

Ok, after doing more research - lots of links say that if you have kidney problems, the flu will do major harm/death to you. About all I could find doing a quick search.