So It Seems This Team Is Always Needing Something

Then, players are let go and more holes are created by the following year. Let's assume that the pieces most of us believe work now on this team are here to stay for next year. Let's also assume that they do not take a step back this year.

What ARE the true holes as we know it on this team? Probably left tackle, one LB and another defensive end? I believe that McCargo is going to be a pleasant surprise this year. I also believe that this line will have good times and bad but will be fine for the 2nd half of the season.

Now what holes will be created at the end of the season and will 2010 REALLY be the year this team breaks away from the pack? If all the planets align this year and the young guns (line, TE and DE) shine, no reason an exciting season couldnot unfold. Even though it's only game one, I believe we will all see a brand new attitude brought to the field win, lose or draw.

This team is close and Jauron better realize that he HAS the talent for a top 5 offense!!

Then, players are let go and more holes are created by the following year. Let's assume that the pieces most of us believe work now on this team are here to stay for next year. Let's also assume that they do not take a step back this year.

What ARE the true holes as we know it on this team? Probably left tackle, one LB and another defensive end? I believe that McCargo is going to be a pleasant surprise this year. I also believe that this line will have good times and bad but will be fine for the 2nd half of the season.

Now what holes will be created at the end of the season and will 2010 REALLY be the year this team breaks away from the pack? If all the planets align this year and the young guns (line, TE and DE) shine, no reason an exciting season couldnot unfold. Even though it's only game one, I believe we will all see a brand new attitude brought to the field win, lose or draw.

This team is close and Jauron better realize that he HAS the talent for a top 5 offense!!

No doubt in my mind that we have the talent this year but it will solely rely on the offensive and defensive line, hopefully jauron is smart enough to prepare these guys for the first game because if i were the patriots i would be putting the pressure on both lines and jaurons gotta get these guys ready for that

As long as we're getting ahead of ourselves here, the need position will be outside linebacker. We need not one, but two studs to flank Poz, and put fear in the hearts of opposing QBs and runners trying to get outside. For some reason, a lot of you are enamored with Kawika Mitchell. Maybe the hair thing is making you confuse him with Stiller's SS, Polamalu, but Mitchell is fairly pedestrian. He's hot and cold. Makes some great plays, then looks like he's missed a few film sessions. There's a good reason the Giants and Chiefs let him get away.

Ellison? I'm sure he's a swell guy, but he's more suited for backup or spot duty. He ain't the kind of OLB you expect to have on your starting unit for a championship team.

Schoebel isn't getting any younger, and they may be thinking DE of the future.

If Hardy or Johnson don't step up to become good #2's, a WR might be in order, depending on what happens with TO. He's only human, and not getting any younger either.

A backup QB and future starter could be a consideration.

The rest of the team is in pretty good shape with younger players who should still be getting better.

The receiver and QB positions might be best filled through FA.

The big need now and probably next year will be in the linebacker corp. If the defense falters this year, a lot of the blame might fall on the LBs.

Assuming Maybin pans out to be force, just imagine this defense with a couple of big playmakers on the OLB position. I believe the unit would have the potential to be a top 5 defense.

the past couple of years we had the desire. We had the want but not the savvy to pull out close games. Last year we started off showing what he could do. Then JP showed up. lost all the steam we had built. This year we got the weapons, the confidence, the swagger, the gameplan and the HOTSEAT and rolled up in one season.

I feel good about next year if there is a change in coaching staff and we fill those 3 holes by blue chip FAs next year.

Of course, that assumes that when we are 5-11 this year, it is not because Edwards fell flat on his face.

If we need to change QB again, that will delay us further.

Your analysis is right on. I have been following this team since it's inception and with the exception of the 60's AFC champions and the super bowl years we were always a dollar short.

Well, wny should we be different. That's what virtually every team is like, even Pittsburgh, who were looking for o-line guys this off-season. My Pittsburgh fan friend said there were groans all over the city, first when Mack was picked and then again when we picked Wood.

It's just what happens in a business where the average working life is 3 years. It's also the nature of the game that you usually don't know where your holes will be next year, because those holes are created by guys finally wearing down and becoming too old, guys being injured, or guys not living up to expectations.

Next year, though, it will be pretty obvious that the first three will likely be the ones we think about right now, the ones you mentioned, LT, OLB and maybe pick up Schobel's eventual replacement. It also looks like we might have two excellent free safeties in Whitner and Byrd, and possibly no strong safety. Whitner has always been our best strong safety, but his talents would be maximized at FS. We might be looking for a SS. I'd also guess that we might possibly start to be interested in replacing Kavika after this season.

Eventually, I would also guess that we will be looking to upgrade at DT, where Williiams is very solid but not elite.

Who knows, really.

I feel good about next year if there is a change in coaching staff and we fill those 3 holes by blue chip FAs next year.

Of course, that assumes that when we are 5-11 this year, it is not because Edwards fell flat on his face.

If we need to change QB again, that will delay us further.

Yeah, this is a good point.

Also agree with DML2005 about WR and backup QB even if Trent proves himself. If Hardy and Johnson haven't proven themselves a bit, we would be faced with thinking about renting T.O. for another year, and that way madness lies.

Oh, and possibly RT if Butler doesn't work out, or C if Hangartner doesn't work out, though both moves have a chance to be very good ones.

Guest dog14787
Your analysis is right on. I have been following this team since it's inception and with the exception of the 60's AFC champions and the super bowl years we were always a dollar short.

Managing the roster properly through FA's and the draft is of the utmost importance for the success of a football team. Switching FO and coaching staff constantly every three years limits the chance for success in the player personnel department in my opinion. It takes good management and keeping that management in place long enough to get the desired results.

Free Agency has a lot to do with the makeup of NFL rosters. We will never again see a team like the Bills had in the late eighties/ early nineties with Kelly, B. Smith, T. Thomas, Reed, Bennett, Odomes, Wolford, Hull, Metzelaars, Talley, et al. Now, teams are constantly having to make choices about who to keep, and who to allow onto the open market. 20 years ago there wasn't much of an open market, save for perhaps Plan B FA. Teams could only build through the draft, and bad teams stayed that way longer.

The key to long term success in today's NFL is having personnel people who know their team's scheme and can replace talent through the draft. Indianapolis doesn't draft a whole lot of LB's-Polian knows he can find them deeper in the draft. He does well deeper into the draft and doesn't miss with first and second rounders. It's also evident he's not going to use UFA much either.