How to find 100M in savings in the federal budget

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1248824365...ogle_wsj_gadgv1

WASHINGTON -- With the budget deficit soaring toward $2 trillion, the Department of Justice has figured out how to play its part: double-sided photocopying.

To cut costs, the Forest Service will stop painting vehicles green.There are other acts of national sacrifice. The Forest Service will no longer repaint its new, white vehicles green immediately upon purchase. The Army will start packing more soldiers onto R&R flights. The Navy will delete unused email accounts.

Three months ago, President Barack Obama ordered his cabinet secretaries to find $100 million in budget cuts for the current fiscal year to emphasize the point that he, too, was serious about belt-tightening. They responded with $102 million. That is 0.006% of the estimated federal deficit.

Given how easy it is to cut 100M--they practically did it in thier sleep--I'd love to see the challenge for 2010 be to cut 30B. What waste--and yet more taxes are needed. Jesus.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1248824365...ogle_wsj_gadgv1

Given how easy it is to cut 100M--they practically did it in thier sleep--I'd love to see the challenge for 2010 be to cut 30B. What waste--and yet more taxes are needed. Jesus.

I honestly don't remember the specifics, but the City of LA recently cut something like a million dollars from its budget after it found out it was paying for a building full old phone lines that are no longer in use. No one had the phones disconnected.

But hey...nothing a new tax won't help fix.

Don't laugh about double-sided copying. It can truly save a TON of money. Printing and copying represent huge costs, and consumables aren't cheap. Even if the equipment and its management are outsourced it's expensive...the margins run around 40%. It would probably be cheaper to hand out Kindles and then download the documents as needed instead of the print enough copies to sink a small ship and then toss them anyway. Seriously.

Don't laugh about double-sided copying. It can truly save a TON of money. Printing and copying represent huge costs, and consumables aren't cheap. Even if the equipment and its management are outsourced it's expensive...the margins run around 40%. It would probably be cheaper to hand out Kindles and then download the documents as needed instead of the print enough copies to sink a small ship and then toss them anyway. Seriously.

I am not laughing. I'm crying. The fcking government's job #2, after service, should be saving money. Doublesided copying is 1990. Turning off unused phone lines is 1940. Unnecessarily painting jeeps is just plain sensible. Those stupid things were just done in a few departments and saved 100M.

The government could sneeze and save 10B.

Kindles? Kindles? Are you !@#$ing kidding me? Ok great let's buy every !@#$ing member of congress a Kindle so they can view documents? What? They don't have !@#$ing laptops?? Holy !@#$ing shiit. Sorry about all the profanity but all I've got to say about that suggestion is !@#$edy !@#$, !@#$, !@#$. :rolleyes:

Kindles? Kindles? Are you !@#$ing kidding me? Ok great let's buy every !@#$ing member of congress a Kindle so they can view documents? What? They don't have !@#$ing laptops?? Holy !@#$ing shiit. Sorry about all the profanity but all I've got to say about that suggestion is !@#$edy !@#$, !@#$, !@#$. :rolleyes:

I hear ya.

I'd like to see just how much the gubmint spent on writing implements last year.