Photo tagging software?

Fezmid

I've been using Media Monkey ( http://www.mediamonkey.com ) to organize my MP3 collection for awhile now. It's pretty nice as it lets you search on anything -- genre, release date, name, etc, etc, etc. Then I started thinking about how ineffective my photo collection is. I take hundreds of pictures, and the best organization I have is putting them into a folder based on the year and the event (ie: 2008, Christmas).

What I'd like to be able to do is tag the photos using IPTC so that I can search for "All Christmas photos with my grandmother in them" (for example).

My main requirement is that it has to be generic enough that I'm not tied to a specific tool (thus the IPTC request). I don't like tools that make a separate database because then you can't use a better one down the road.

I've heard that Adobe Bridge might be good - but I don't have Photoshop or anything like that, and I'm not keen on spending a fortune.

I have Paint Shop Pro X2 and, while it looks like it has a similar feature, it seems pretty clunky when I tried to use it. I also tried Picasa and that seemed to have some issues as well.

Does anyone else do anything like this?