OT: Anthony Bourdain in Buffalo

silvermike

Never been to Vietnam, but the Vietnamese and Cambodian food I have had in the states (mostly SF) has been terrific.

Some of the best meals I ever had were at Thanh Long:

http://www.anfamily.com/Restaurants/thanhl...s/homepage.html

Royal Tiger Prawns, Roast Crab, Garlic Noodles. Can't miss.

What Vietnam has going for it (I've never been but would love to) in regard to food is that it combines some very good Asian stlye with French seeing the French were there for so long. I've talked to some foodies who said the best French food they've every had was in Vietnam. As the old commercial said "two great tastes that taste great together."

Never been to Vietnam, but the Vietnamese and Cambodian food I have had in the states (mostly SF) has been terrific.

Some of the best meals I ever had were at Thanh Long:

http://www.anfamily.com/Restaurants/thanhl...s/homepage.html

Royal Tiger Prawns, Roast Crab, Garlic Noodles. Can't miss.

Within 10 min of my office there are about 12 Pho (vietnamese soup is the primary menu item) places within 10 minutes - cheap and great lunch food. I have not experienced "high end" vietnamese if there is such a thing but the lunch joints are really good food.

I really liked the whole episode as well. Nelson Starr is a super talented musician, his brother also a very talented drummer in his own right. His book cites my teacher's book as a reference tool as well, which is slightly cool.

I liked the whole theme of the episode really. The 4th generation old-school Baltimore cop, the ex gang banger in "the D," and unpretentious musician all worked for me. That was Bourdain's biggest theme of the show, I felt. We're a humble, unpretentious lot. You watch any of those "Real Housewives," "the Hills" or any show that depicts American ignorance, entitlement and excess and it makes me want to puke. These people are honest and admit our hometown's faults, but be damned if we want to live anywhere else.

Sure, big markets bring big opportunities, but there is something to be said for the Great Lakes region. We helped build the American middle class 2 generations ago. Unfortunately, with the country going on and about the economic recession worldwide, they seem to have failed to realize Michigan, Western/Upstate New York, and other Great Lakes regions have been in severe depression for nearly 50 years. Still good culture and food, and alcohol, though.

I really liked the whole episode as well. Nelson Starr is a super talented musician, his brother also a very talented drummer in his own right. His book cites my teacher's book as a reference tool as well, which is slightly cool.

I liked the whole theme of the episode really. The 4th generation old-school Baltimore cop, the ex gang banger in "the D," and unpretentious musician all worked for me. That was Bourdain's biggest theme of the show, I felt. We're a humble, unpretentious lot. You watch any of those "Real Housewives," "the Hills" or any show that depicts American ignorance, entitlement and excess and it makes me want to puke. These people are honest and admit our hometown's faults, but be damned if we want to live anywhere else.

Sure, big markets bring big opportunities, but there is something to be said for the Great Lakes region. We helped build the American middle class 2 generations ago. Unfortunately, with the country going on and about the economic recession worldwide, they seem to have failed to realize Michigan, Western/Upstate New York, and other Great Lakes regions have been in severe depression for nearly 50 years. Still good culture and food, and alcohol, though.

I get what you're saying but that whole "I could never live anyplace else" thing has me scratching my head. Anyplace? Come on, I could think of several dozen places I'd rather live that begin with the letter A. Sure the people are the best, the food is great but I can get that once a year when I visit.

I get what you're saying but that whole "I could never live anyplace else" thing has me scratching my head. Anyplace? Come on, I could think of several dozen places I'd rather live that begin with the letter A. Sure the people are the best, the food is great but I can get that once a year when I visit.

Living "away" and even better out of one's native culture gives you perspective. There is a much to appreciate about Buffalo and much to loathe but know where on this continuum something falls can only be gained through experience.