OT: Anthony Bourdain in Buffalo

silvermike

If anyone likes No Reservations, Tony Bourdain features Buffalo on the show tonight. It ran at 10, but it's re-running on the Travel Channel right now, and the Buffalo section should be on at about 11:40.

Good stuff, featuring Ulrich's Tavern and Schwabl's.

Thanks for posting silvermike. Glad I saw the post and checked out the episode. Eaten at Schawbl's a bunch of times a long time ago. Didn't they also serve a "ham steak" in sauce with cloves stuck into the ham?

Used to spend lots of time at Nietsche's too.

It was good to see back home and also to see Anthony Bourdain being a guest of our fair city.

Thanks for posting silvermike. Glad I saw the post and checked out the episode. Eaten at Schawbl's a bunch of times a long time ago. Didn't they also serve a "ham steak" in sauce with cloves stuck into the ham?

Used to spend lots of time at Nietsche's too.

It was good to see back home and also to see Anthony Bourdain being a guest of our fair city.

great show. Nice to see Bourdain came to the same conclusion any sane red-blooded male would come to about Buffalo...that it's a cool place to be.

I thought the show was a bit dissapointing overall. He seemed to want to be kind which was out of character for him. I was very thankful though that he did present Buffalo in a relatively positive light. The segement on Baltimore made it look like a *hithole.

I thought the show was a bit dissapointing overall. He seemed to want to be kind which was out of character for him. I was very thankful though that he did present Buffalo in a relatively positive light. The segement on Baltimore made it look like a *hithole.

Baltimore is a *hithole...But anyways, I thought he did a good job and had some good things to say. I had hoped he would have hit a few other restaurants in town though.

Baltimore is a *hithole...But anyways, I thought he did a good job and had some good things to say. I had hoped he would have hit a few other restaurants in town though.

I thought it was also distracting that he wasted time snowmobiling - selfishly I wish he would have found reason to show off more of the architecture that Buffalo is rightfully becoming famous for. What restaurants would you have wanted him to hit? I've been away from Buffalo far too long to know what I would put on a list.

I thought it was also distracting that he wasted time snowmobiling - selfishly I wish he would have found reason to show off more of the architecture that Buffalo is rightfully becoming famous for. What restaurants would you have wanted him to hit? I've been away from Buffalo far too long to know what I would put on a list.

Pearl St. is one of my faves, but I don't think he'd hit a spot like that on his show. Tempo seems to be a place he would hit, but I think he was looking more for holes and other local favorites.

Finally got to watch it. He showed Buffalo as the best place of the three to live (we know that) but it looked like Detroit had the best food. Buffalo had liver soup :wallbash: and beef on weck. But what Tony always shows is that no matter where you go, to what backwoods or forgotten city or town you can always find something good to eat. Food.....it makes the world go 'round.

Finally got to watch it. He showed Buffalo as the best place of the three to live (we know that) but it looked like Detroit had the best food. Buffalo had liver soup :wallbash: and beef on weck. But what Tony always shows is that no matter where you go, to what backwoods or forgotten city or town you can always find something good to eat. Food.....it makes the world go 'round.

yes it does. I watched an episode where he was moving to Vietnam for a year to write and was showing some of the restaurants there. While some I might think twice about a few looked like a real cool and inviting place to eat. I've never been one for chain restaurants and when I travel I always google the area for the most recommended mom and pop type restaurants to check out. Nothing like a little adventure when it comes to food and exploring a city a bit.

He missed the Swannie House which is a shame, espacially when I recognized one of the background shots of them driving over the Ohio St bridge. They literally drove right by the place. Hitting the Towne for Souvlaki would have been good too since they were in Allentown.

PTR

yes it does. I watched an episode where he was moving to Vietnam for a year to write and was showing some of the restaurants there. While some I might think twice about a few looked like a real cool and inviting place to eat. I've never been one for chain restaurants and when I travel I always google the area for the most recommended mom and pop type restaurants to check out. Nothing like a little adventure when it comes to food and exploring a city a bit.

Never been to Vietnam, but the Vietnamese and Cambodian food I have had in the states (mostly SF) has been terrific.

Some of the best meals I ever had were at Thanh Long:

http://www.anfamily.com/Restaurants/thanhl...s/homepage.html

Royal Tiger Prawns, Roast Crab, Garlic Noodles. Can't miss.

Exactly! Bag the family crap, lose the Hanger-on Russian, let's see: DUFF's, The Anchor Bar, Chef's, etc.

Both the Anchor & Chef's could have carried the theme that the city is in decline.

Exactly! Bag the family crap, lose the Hanger-on Russian, let's see: DUFF's, The Anchor Bar, Chef's, etc.

Both the Anchor & Chef's could have carried the theme that the city is in decline.

The Anchor is overrated and I really don't like their new location...too TGIFriday'sish to me. Chef's isn't bad. I still love to eat at Ilio DiPaulo's in Blasdell after Bills games.

The Anchor is overrated and I really don't like their new location...too TGIFriday'sish to me. Chef's isn't bad. I still love to eat at Ilio DiPaulo's in Blasdell after Bills games.

Chefs is as mediocre an Italian restaurant as I have ever eaten in. Terrible sauce. Cool place, though.