Random, anonymous scout rips Maybin

Dj knows defensive backfields you mean; he really is a career db coach who somehow got to the next level (Ivy League maybe they thought he was smart or something) and failed his way up from there.

Let's hope you are right about the new line coach. My confidence in DJ is zero outside the dbs.

Dick Jauron has enjoyed success as a DC in the league for many years. If he lost his job tomorrow, it wouldn't be long before someone hired him as DC. He's that good. It ain't just about DBs.

Now, he may not be intimately involved with the offense to the level he is with the D but to suggest that a man who has spend the bulk of his career devising ways to stop them, it stands to reason he has a firm grasp of offensive philosophies around the league. What works, what doesn't.

GO BILLS!!!

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dick Jauron has enjoyed success as a DC in the league for many years. If he lost his job tomorrow, it wouldn't be long before someone hired him as DC. He's that good. It ain't just about DBs.

Now, he may not be intimately involved with the offense to the level he is with the D but to suggest that a man who has spend the bulk of his career devising ways to stop them, it stands to reason he has a firm grasp of offensive philosophies around the league. What works, what doesn't.

GO BILLS!!!

You're right, I forgot. He was our DC for the wonderful Hank Bullough era... fabulous success

I don't think you proved your case there, Dean, even with the giant-sized "THEY" duo. The sentence in question, the second with the reference to one trick ponies, is different. It could be read as either singular or plural, and it's the only one where "heart" is questioned.

Could go either way, and I don't think it's fair to assume that he meant both because he might have.

I don't disagree. I was replying to a poster who claimed we had all misread it. He said the part questioning "heart" clearly was only referring to Gholston. IMO, it isn't clear, at all. And, since the "scout" went to the trouble of bringing Maybin into the "one-trick pony" comparison, and then continued to use Maybin as he discussed the one-trick ponies, it isn't a huge jump to interpret he is still talking about both Gholston and Maybin when he gets to the "heart" discussion, as he is still referring to one-trick ponies. Had he really meant not to include Maybin, one might assume he would make that a little bit clearer.

I feel much better about my interpretation since Lori agreed with it. :wallbash:

I'd really like to think this is the last time I address this stupid quote, and hope it is quite a while before I type "one-trick pony" again.

:wallbash:

You're right, I forgot. He was our DC for the wonderful Hank Bullough era... fabulous success

Well, you're wrong. Jauron was originally brought in by Kay Stephenson in '85 as a DB coach. Stephenson was fired after going 0-4 and Bullough was hired as HC. He kept Jauron for the rest of the year. Jauron then went on to DB coach in GB for a number of years before being named DC in Jax. Everyone agrees he was instrumental in the rapid rise of the Jags and, based on what I personally witnessed at Rich Stadium in Jan. '97 when they beat us in a playoff game, I can see why.

So yeah, Jauron was DB coach for all of 12 games while Bullough was the interim coach.

Do your homework, man.

GO BILLS!!!

PS: Edited for your enjoyment. Thanks, Dean.

Well, you're wrong. Jauron was originally brought in by Kay Stephenson in '85 as a DB coach. Stephenson was fired after going 0-4 and Bullough was hired as HC. He kept Jauron for the rest of the year. Jauron then went on to DB coach in GB for a number of years before being named DC in Jax. Everyone agrees he was instrumental in the rapid rise of the Jags and, based on what I personally witnessed at Rich Stadium in Jan. 07 when they beat us in a playoff game, I can see why.

So yeah, Jauron was DB coach for all of 12 games while Bullough was the interim coach.

Do your homework, man.

GO BILLS!!!

Bullough was head coach for 21 games (I believe)...far too long to be sure. So, Dick was DC for roughly 1/2 of the "Hank Bullough Era". :lol:

Well, you're wrong. Jauron was originally brought in by Kay Stephenson in '85 as a DB coach. Stephenson was fired after going 0-4 and Bullough was hired as HC. He kept Jauron for the rest of the year. Jauron then went on to DB coach in GB for a number of years before being named DC in Jax. Everyone agrees he was instrumental in the rapid rise of the Jags and, based on what I personally witnessed at Rich Stadium in Jan. 07 when they beat us in a playoff game, I can see why.

Do your homework, man.

GO BILLS!!!

That '07 playoff game---how did we do?

My 2 Cents. Maybin does have heart and desire, or he wouldnt have worked out like he has and sought the advice of Arrington and Lewis. However, he seems to be a one trick pony. All he ever did was try to run around the edge of the LT like it was a madden game or something. He never was able to use his hands to fight off LTs and move them around. The only thign you ever heard about the kid was "first step this" and "first step that". Well my beef with that is HE WEIGHED 225 LBS. He is more like a blitzing safety than a DE. Have Kelsay cut weight to 225 and I bet he is really quick too. If Maybin plays at 255, still small for a DE, that means he is playing with 30 extra pounds, my guess is he wont be so quick anymore. To sum up, Maybin was quick and thats all he ever really showed in college. Now we have to hope that with his added weight he can develop some power moves and retain that quickness.

Bullough was head coach for 21 games (I believe)...far too long to be sure. So, Dick was DC for roughly 1/2 of the "Hank Bullough Era". :wallbash:

I don't think Jauron was ever DC under Bullough. After Stephensen was fired and Bullough took over for the remainder of '85, he retained Kay's staff for the remainder of the year. Jauron was a defensive assistant but really worked with the DBs most of the time. To my knowledge, Jauron's first experience as a DC came with Jax. As zazie suggests, he was so bad in Jax, that Chicago made him HC based on that awful performance.

GO BILLS!!!

That '07 playoff game---how did we do?

We lost 30-27. They ran all over us and pretty much held us in check (only 2 offensive tds). Kelly's last game, knocked out with a concussion and carted off the field. A sad day all around.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't think Jauron was ever DC under Bullough. After Stephensen was fired and Bullough took over for the remainder of '85, he retained Kay's staff for the remainder of the year. Jauron was a defensive assistant but really worked with the DBs most of the time. To my knowledge, Jauron's first experience as a DC came with Jax. As zazie suggests, he was so bad in Jax, that Chicago made him HC based on that awful performance.

GO BILLS!!!

Didn't Dick move into the DC job for the remainder of '85 (when Hank was elevated)? Perhaps I am mistaken. I can't find any reliable citation for who was DC for the remainder of that year. Maybe it was Ted Cottrell.

We lost 30-27. They ran all over us and pretty much held us in check (only 2 offensive tds). Kelly's last game, knocked out with a concussion and carted off the field. A sad day all around.

GO BILLS!!!

Wow, Kelly was still playing in '07?

Wow, Kelly was still playing in '07?

It was JANUARY '07, Dean. Wild Card playoff game. AFTER the 1996 season. Kelly's last season. The last image we saw of Kelly in a Bills uni was on that cart as he was wheeled off the field. He was beaten up that day.

GO BILLS!!!

It was JANUARY '07, Dean. Wild Card playoff game. AFTER the 1996 season. Kelly's last season. The last image we saw of Kelly in a Bills uni was on that cart as he was wheeled off the field. He was beaten up that day.

GO BILLS!!!

That's '97, not '07. That's why you have been getting questioned by 3rdnlng. I was trying to point that out, in a friendly way.

The Bills were golfing in January '07.

GO BILLS!!!

Man, I wish Jauron could beat up Brady* like that in a game. I think Jauron's personality has changed as he got older and now looks at it like its tough to win in the NFL and why can't we all just be friends on the field.

As far as PFW I like to read their columns because they aren't afraid to both be very negative and very positive about players in the league and its fun to read, even when I might have a different take on a player.

That's '97, not '07. That's why you have been getting questioned by 3rdnlng. I was trying to point that out, in a friendly way.

The Bills were golfing in January '07.

LMAO! Time to up the meds. Good catch, Deano.

GO BILLS!!!

LMAO! Time to up the meds. Good catch, Deano.

GO BILLS!!!

Damn, I was hoping we could quit claiming we hadn't made the playoffs in 10 years. Just busting them for you. I don't post much but read a lot of the posts here. You are one of the "good" posters.

Damn, I was hoping we could quit claiming we hadn't made the playoffs in 10 years. Just busting them for you. I don't post much but read a lot of the posts here. You are one of the "good" posters.

LOL!!! Depends on who you talk to but thanks for the compliment.

You know, you may be on to something. I think I'm just going to become deliberately delusional and act as if they HAVE made the playoffs. So, that being said, the Bills KICKED JAX'S ASS IN THE '07 PLAYOFFS!!!

GO BILLS!!!