Random, anonymous scout rips Maybin

• "The problem with (Jets OLB) Vernon Gholston is that he never made plays (at Ohio State). He was not tough. He was not competitive. He was stiff — the same as (Bills DE) Aaron Maybin. They are both one-trick ponies who won off the edge against bad competition. They could get away with it in college because the skill level is not very good. At this (NFL) level, one-trick ponies without any heart need to have a special trait to survive — special get-off (speed) or special competitiveness."

I can't grasp the comparison to Gholston to Maybin.

The author contends that Gholston "never made plays (at Ohio State)."

Maybin made plenty of them at Penn State (sacks and tackles behind the line of scrimmage) against the same competition.

Then he contradicts himself and says that Gholston (and Maybin) "won off the edge." One would think that if you won off the edge it would result in making some plays.

The whole thing is very confusing.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the point that always stood out to me about maybin is that he is insanely quick off the snap -- guys compared him to kearse as a rookie.

yes he is undersized and will be weak against the run, but that's understood. if he gets off the ball and works hard, he can be that last little extra pass rush we need to make our entire d better. he's also very aggressive and doesn't quit on plays -- combined with a healthy schoble that's our shot at having a scary d this year.

As for his get-off speed, he had the quickest ten yard split at the combine of any defensive lineman and it was faster than all but a few linebackers. He was also a fast riser approaching the draft. Hopefully he's not another Mike Mamula (although Mamula didn't suck...he just undershot expectations).

As for highlights, there's almost no highlights on the guy on youtube. Moreover, I believe that NFL.com does not have any video of him in their draft profile. He does appear in some clips from the Penn State-USC Rose Bowl. Of all the top prospects, for whatever reason, there is very little video on the guy.

As for his competitiveness I have read scouting reports lauding his competitiveness.

As for body type, he has that long, velociraptor build that players like Jevon Kearse, Jason Taylor, and Simeon Rice have.

As for the talk that he might be moved around and play at DE and LB, I think that's great. Put him in a position to utilize his talents to the utmost as opposed to trying to force fit him into a certain shaped peg hole.

If there's one area of concern regarding Maybin, it's the acknowledged fact (by himself and the Bills) that he doesn't yet have a counter move.

If there's one area of concern regarding Maybin, it's the acknowledged fact (by himself and the Bills) that he doesn't yet have a counter move.

I'm not worried about that, counter moves can be taught. You can't teach explosive speed.

The kid is following Ray Lewis around, I will never question his heart. With a good coach, I think he'll definitely be above average when it's all said and done.

With a horrible analysis like that, I don't blame the "scout" for remaining anonymous.

Lori hit the nail on the head. Maybin's play was anything but "heartless".

I'm not quite sure why anyone would even bother with a scout that won't put his/her name on their analysis. Suggests to me, they may be ashamed of the quality of that analysis, or there really is no "scout" at all.

I purposely titled the thread the way I did b/c I'm trying to avoid a slew of posts that simply argue that we should discount the source because it's just some random, anonymous scout. What I'd prefer (fat chance, I know) is a real discussion about the point this random, anonymous scout is making. Plus I like PFW's anonymous tidbits - credible or not, they're always interesting. I'll confess I didn't see Maybin play much in college, but from what I've read about him he's a different ilk than Gholston. And although I didn't love the pick (I wanted Ayers), the Bills don't usually draft guys who aren't *tough* or who don't love football. Thoughts?

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2009/07/2...y-with-handoffs

• "The problem with (Jets OLB) Vernon Gholston is that he never made plays (at Ohio State). He was not tough. He was not competitive. He was stiff — the same as (Bills DE) Aaron Maybin. They are both one-trick ponies who won off the edge against bad competition. They could get away with it in college because the skill level is not very good. At this (NFL) level, one-trick ponies without any heart need to have a special trait to survive — special get-off (speed) or special competitiveness."

Gholston gets a ton of bad press but in reality he was a rookie last year. I think it is a little early to write off either of these players, no?

Gholston gets a ton of bad press but in reality he was a rookie last year. I think it is a little early to write off either of these players, no?

It's never too early to write off a player. After all, camp started Saturday!

:rolleyes:

With a horrible analysis like that, I don't blame the "scout" for remaining anonymous.

Lori hit the nail on the head. Maybin's play was anything but "heartless".

I'm not quite sure why anyone would even bother with a scout that won't put his/her name on their analysis. Suggests to me, they may be ashamed of the quality of that analysis, or there really is no "scout" at all.

I understand the need for anonymity; can't be caught in public dissing another team's players.

But read this piece by Tim, and then tell me Maybin plays with no "heart":

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-8-2/T...in-emerges.html

Agreed, but with a new Coaching staff, Gholston better show something this year.

Everyone on this board and everywhere says it takes a year or 2 for DEs to come into their own in the NFL. I hope Gholston DOES suck (he is a Jet) but I am not quite ready to pronounce it so yet.

Maybin will be a super pick and garner 3-5 sacks this year situational and an INT (in my hopeful preseason opinion)

I purposely titled the thread the way I did b/c I'm trying to avoid a slew of posts that simply argue that we should discount the source because it's just some random, anonymous scout. What I'd prefer (fat chance, I know) is a real discussion about the point this random, anonymous scout is making. Plus I like PFW's anonymous tidbits - credible or not, they're always interesting. I'll confess I didn't see Maybin play much in college, but from what I've read about him he's a different ilk than Gholston. And although I didn't love the pick (I wanted Ayers), the Bills don't usually draft guys who aren't *tough* or who don't love football. Thoughts?

I have to admit, I am a Penn State fan (go to a decent amount of games), and I also don't see it in Maybin either. Although, the heart thing is kind of stupid. Maybin is so young, no one knows if he has heart or not. But, I even admit, that the "winning off of the edge against inferior competition" statement seems pretty accurate to me.

I have nothing against Maybin, as he turned out to be a nice player at PSU, but damn, he only kind of did it one year, and one year when the Big Ten was pretty pathetic. Especially now that Michigan is down.

I didn't want Maybin myself, but I hope he proves me wrong. The heart thing is retarded though. He's so young, no one has even had time to make that assumption yet.

I have to admit, I am a Penn State fan (go to a decent amount of games), and I also don't see it in Maybin either. Although, the heart thing is kind of stupid. Maybin is so young, no one knows if he has heart or not. But, I even admit, that the "winning off of the edge against inferior competition" statement seems pretty accurate to me.

I have nothing against Maybin, as he turned out to be a nice player at PSU, but damn, he only kind of did it one year, and one year when the Big Ten was pretty pathetic. Especially now that Michigan is down.

I didn't want Maybin myself, but I hope he proves me wrong. The heart thing is retarded though. He's so young, no one has even had time to make that assumption yet.

It is going to be depressing (but true to DJ form) if Maybin and Byrd both disappoint, and Everette Brown is as good as I think he will be. Brown, remember, played agaisnt tough SEC competition at Fl. State....

Keeping the head up though for now!

It is clear the Bills took a big risk drafting Maybin, he might never develop into an NFL DE, perhaps a OLB though. That is an entirely different skill set and that is the reason Gholston feel on his face so hard, lots of undersized DE's in college simply can't make the transition to OLB in the NFL.

Maybin does have that fast first step and can run the arc better then most, his speed off the line is what sets him apart. From what I've seen and read he has no moves to go with his speed, so if an O lineman gets his hands on him...its over. Plus him being undersized at DE won't help much with stopping the run.

The upside on the guy can be great though, he could be another Dwight Freeney / Bruce Smith, that is saying a lot I know. I suppose we will all just need to wait and see how he develops.

Anyway, the Poz must have given the Bills a glowing report on Maybin, most likely why the Bills took the risk and drafted him.

Anyway, the Poz must have given the Bills a glowing report on Maybin, most likely why the Bills took the risk and drafted him.

I had questions about Maybin, too. I just hope the risk pays off. But I hardly think Poz was the deciding factor here. They actually have a scouting department, you know. If they didn't like what they saw, I doubt anything Poz said would make much of a difference. He may have played a very small part, but I doubt he was a major factor in the pick. Just IMO, of course.

It is going to be depressing (but true to DJ form) if Maybin and Byrd both disappoint, and Everette Brown is as good as I think he will be. Brown, remember, played agaisnt tough SEC competition at Fl. State....

Keeping the head up though for now!

Fla St DE's are known to look great in college and stink at the NFL level.

The guy I feel the Bills missed on was the RAK, Brian Orakpo, that guy is a monster. Mike Mayock stated he thinks Robert Ayers will be the best DE out of last years draft class. Three years from now we will know who the best is.

Fla St DE's are known to look great in college and stink at the NFL level.

The guy I feel the Bills missed on was the RAK, Brian Orakpo, that guy is a monster. Mike Mayock stated he thinks Robert Ayers will be the best DE out of last years draft class. Three years from now we will know who the best is.

Orakpo was my choice, as well. I was surprised when he got by the Bills. I had heard they were interested in him, early on, but something changed their mind.

There's a bit of a reading comprehenision issue here. The piece was about Gholston, not Maybin, and the comparison related to a physical issue (stiffness), not heart, as well as the so-so level of competition in a relatively soft big 10 conference. The "heart" in this description -- or lack thereof -- is Gholston's, not Maybin's. The scout said that "He was not tough. He was not competitive." Note that he did not say "They."

Its all moot..When he signs and puts the pads on and plays we will see if he is the pass rusher they wanted when they drafted him...Nothing else matters...