ESPN Power Rankings-

Not a big deal but always interesting to see where the Bills stack up in the eyes of the so called "analysts." And yes, these are the same power rankings that had our Bills ranked as high as #3 last year. Remember that?

THE LINK: http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast

ESPN power rankings: AFC East analysis

July 27, 2009 12:30 PM From Tim Graham

Here is how the AFC East falls in the latest rankings, drawn up by ESPN senior writers John Clayton and Jeffri Chadiha, AFC South blogger Paul Kuharsky and NFC West blogger Mike Sando.

No. 2 New England Patriots

* Best rating: No. 2

* Worst rating: No. 2

* Note: Across the board, they were slotted behind the defending champions. Rightfully so.

No. 15 Miami Dolphins

* Best rating: No. 11 (Chadiha)

* Worst rating: No. 19 (Clayton)

* Note: The eight-spot disparity between the best and worst ratings was the second-widest behind the Arizona Cardinals, who were rated seventh by Sando and 16th by Clayton.

No. 21 Buffalo Bills

* Best rating: No. 18 (Clayton)

* Worst rating: No. 23 (Kuharsky, Sando)

* Note: Clayton has been the most vocal supporter of Buffalo's offseason, but 18th still finishes way out of the playoffs. He also dropped them four spots since May's power rankings.

No. 23 New York Jets

* Best rating: No. 21 (Kuharsky, Sando)

* Worst rating: No. 26 (Clayton)

* Note: No truth to the rumor Channing Crowder was consulted for the balloting.

Of teams on the Bills schedule, five are currently below them, including the Jets who they play twice, of course. Saints at 19, Texans at 16, Dolphins at 15, are a few spots ahead. Translates to 8-8, maybe, if you give the Bills a few home wins.

I hope the OL Coach is a miracle worker.

Of teams on the Bills schedule, five are currently below them, including the Jets who they play twice, of course. Saints at 19, Texans at 16, Dolphins at 15, are a few spots ahead. Translates to 8-8, maybe, if you give the Bills a few home wins.

I hope the OL Coach is a miracle worker.

You're basing wins and losses off July power rankings? :blush:

Not a big deal but always interesting to see where the Bills stack up in the eyes of the so called "analysts."...

No. 21 Buffalo Bills

* Best rating: No. 18 (Clayton)

* Worst rating: No. 23 (Kuharsky, Sando)

* Note: Clayton has been the most vocal supporter of Buffalo's offseason, but 18th still finishes way out of the playoffs. He also dropped them four spots since May's power rankings....

I suppose if Brandon brings Vick into Buffalo that will shoot their average power ranking up to around 10, right??

Maybe it's time to bring O.J. back as a consultant for players....oh wait....the Bills will have to hold off on that for another 8 years or so, since he's in the big house right now himself.

You're basing wins and losses off July power rankings? :blush:

Good point. Take a look at the Bills schedule right now. At least two of the teams everyone thinks will be better then the Bills will finish worse, and at least two of those teams everyone thinks will finish worse then the Bills will finish better. It happens every single year in this age of parity. Don't believe me? Who picked Atlanta and Miami to finish in first place last season at this time last year? And who picked Seattle and Jacksonville to suck so badly last season at this time last year?

So yes, power rankings in July are pretty lame.

Here are the Real Power Rankings

First tier 11-5 teams that are a cut above the rest of the league.

Pats*

Steelers

Giants

Carolina

Third tier 5-11 teams who are in rebuilding mode

Lions

Raiders

Chiefs

Browns

Second tier - mostly 8-8 teams who are middle of the road.

The Rest of the NFL

Pats*

Steelers

Giants

Carolina

Lions

Raiders

Chiefs

Browns

The Rest of the NFL

With Limp Dick at the helm our Bills may be in the third tier grouping by seasons end. With Dick we are just one loss from 6-10

You're basing wins and losses off July power rankings? :wallbash:

People make predictions all the time, based on some criteria, so why should this be scoffed at? Have you ever made a prediction? What do you base it on? There's got to be some basis. I could look at each game based on gut feel, and I'd probably still come up with 8-8 or the dreaded 7-9. Yes I'll agree that preseason predictions are pretty useless, but it's all in fun.

Even power rankings four weeks into the season are pretty useless considering last year.

People make predictions all the time, based on some criteria, so why should this be scoffed at? Have you ever made a prediction? What do you base it on? There's got to be some basis. I could look at each game based on gut feel, and I'd probably still come up with 8-8 or the dreaded 7-9. Yes I'll agree that preseason predictions are pretty useless, but it's all in fun.

Even power rankings four weeks into the season are pretty useless considering last year.

20-23rd seems about right considering the mess on the OLine and elsewhere.. that would be 5-11 or so..

Pats*

Steelers

Giants

Carolina

Lions

Raiders

Chiefs

Browns

The Rest of the NFL

I might quibble with a few of your teams but all in all that's a good way of looking at it.

Schedule, health, and luck usually dictates the variance.