Hangartner in the middle of things

Pitta

http://www.buffalonews.com/452/story/745469.html

Since Kent Hull retired after the 1996 season, the center position has been pedestrian at best for the Buffalo Bills, which is why they made Geoff Hangartner a top priority signing during the offseason.

And since Hull finished his career, the Bills have experienced difficulty dealing with the likes of Vince Wilfork, Kris Jenkins, Jason Ferguson and other nose tackles in a division where every opposing team utilizes the 3-4.

"Our division is definitely a challenge when you play center because you have three of the best nose guards in the league," said Hangartner, who signed a four-year deal with the Bills in February. "You have guys who have played in Pro Bowls and who are definitely good at what they do so it's a challenge every week."

The Bills are counting on Hangartner to be an upgrade. Dusty Zeigler, Jerry Ostroski, Bill Conaty, Trey Teague, Melvin Fowler and Duke Preston all have seen time at center and none made anyone forget Hull, who played 11 seasons and earned three Pro Bowl appearances for the Bills.

It's crazy that it has been as hard to find a center as it has been to find a QB. Why is it so hard to find a good center?

See the Bills' history of spending draft picks on OLs for the last decade...

Up until this year they haven't taken a C in one of the first three rounds since Hull left. IIRC.

Dusty Zeigler was the best of that bunch and the Bills let him go. IIRC, he had a pretty good career with the Giants.

That's right.

We need to get as many CBs as possible.

I see Hangartner moving to one of the Guard positions next year and cut the following year.

That's right.

I see Hangartner moving to one of the Guard positions next year and cut the following year.

I see Hangartner as a solid center for a few years to come. He won't be spectacular but he will be a solid guy. He is smart and bigger than most of the centers we have had recently. I think he weighs in at 315ish. The guy is smart and started 56% of the games along the Carolina offensive line which recently has been a very solid unit.

As for why Carolina drafted a center in the second round when they had Hangartner it was not a lack in faith of Hangartner it was more so a combination of the value pick and wanting depth along the offensive line. Any good team knows you are going to have injuries so to have a good depth guy along the interior of the offensive line is beneficial to any team. the Panthers were smart they knew Hangartners value.

To me the Bills got a good deal in Hangartner they signed a guy who started a majority of the games along a good offensive line in his 4 seasons for a good price.

Years: 5

Height: 6-5

Weight: 301

College: Texas A&M

On the tall side for a center and maybe slightly below average weight, maybe average.

I see Hangartner as a solid center for a few years to come. He won't be spectacular but he will be a solid guy. He is smart and bigger than most of the centers we have had recently. I think he weighs in at 315ish. The guy is smart and started 56% of the games along the Carolina offensive line which recently has been a very solid unit.

As for why Carolina drafted a center in the second round when they had Hangartner it was not a lack in faith of Hangartner it was more so a combination of the value pick and wanting depth along the offensive line. Any good team knows you are going to have injuries so to have a good depth guy along the interior of the offensive line is beneficial to any team. the Panthers were smart they knew Hangartners value.

To me the Bills got a good deal in Hangartner they signed a guy who started a majority of the games along a good offensive line in his 4 seasons for a good price.

The big issue with the Bills and the C spot is that they keep trying to MAKE a center, pulling O-linemen from other spots and seeing if they can do the job, rather than picking up a solid C either in FA or the Draft.

They got Fowler, finally, and it was better but he still showed why he was let go. Now Hangartner, Phillips and Wood all actual C so we'll see how it goes. I remember watching the draft, I think last year, and Indy took 3 C, including the one from UB.

Years: 5

Height: 6-5

Weight: 301

College: Texas A&M

On the tall side for a center and maybe slightly below average weight, maybe average.

Lots of centers have been tall. Hull was 6-5 just as one example. The key is will he be able to play with leverage. We shall see.

GO BILLS!!!

That's right.

Wow you are so prescient. You should join the Bills scouting department. They could take your advice and do the opposite and a great team would be made. :wallbash:

The big issue with the Bills and the C spot is that they keep trying to MAKE a center, pulling O-linemen from other spots and seeing if they can do the job, rather than picking up a solid C either in FA or the Draft.

They got Fowler, finally, and it was better but he still showed why he was let go. Now Hangartner, Phillips and Wood all actual C so we'll see how it goes. I remember watching the draft, I think last year, and Indy took 3 C, including the one from UB.

Did he make the team?

Up until this year they haven't taken a C in one of the first three rounds since Hull left. IIRC.

Dusty Zeigler was the best of that bunch and the Bills let him go. IIRC, he had a pretty good career with the Giants.

Of course, when Z was here the OL experts at TSW spent all their time saying how badly he sucked.....

Of course, when Z was here the OL experts at TSW spent all their time saying how badly he sucked.....

Well, he DID suck while he was here. It wasn't until McNally (another one many TSWers say sucked as well) had him in NY, with better OLmen around him, that he improved as a player. Sometimes it just takes time and a change of scenery. But while he was in Buffalo, he made Fowler look like Hull. Dusty was the picture boy for getting blown up.

GO BILLS!!!

Well, he DID suck while he was here. It wasn't until McNally (another one many TSWers say sucked as well) had him in NY, with better OLmen around him, that he improved as a player. Sometimes it just takes time and a change of scenery. But while he was in Buffalo, he made Fowler look like Hull. Dusty was the picture boy for getting blown up.

GO BILLS!!!

Excellent points, K. One more reason why I have little patience for those posters (not that I am calling you one of them) who want to pronounce once and forever upon a player's suckiness, or for those who presume that the failure of a player to pan out is proof of the venality or stupidity of management. There are so many variables that go into selecting players and developing a team, not all of which are controllable and few of which are predictable. One would think that examples like Ziegler would help people become educated, but alas....

Longer than that cincyman. :unsure:

The Bills stupid penchant toward eschewing blockers and defensive tackles in favor of defensive backs has destroyed this team. Ralph did try imo, but he trusted Levy as a GM and Jauron as a head coach. Ralph is a money man, not a football man.

Talk about a decade.....Marv was shot a decade before we brought him in to run the team. Jauron has been a loser for his entire coaching career, except of course for one fluke season.

The good news is the 09 draft. Although we did waste one early pick on a safety, ya gotta like the other 3 of the first 4. I predict Levitre will be a fine LG ala Steinbach. Woods will enable the team to run right. Imagine that.....the Bills running right successfully. The Bills and a good right guard are far from synonymous.

From what I am told by those who know way more than me about DEs, Maybin will be either great or a bust. I think that he was a good risk given our pass rush situation, and the fact that we seemed to strengthen our interior OL.

We shall see my friend.

Did he make the team?

Jamey Richard

2008: Started seven of 15 games as rookie, with four starts at C and three at LG…did not play at Jacksonville 12/18…started first two NFL games at C vs. Chicago 9/7 and at Minnesota 9/14…saw action at RG filling in for injured Dan Federkeil vs. Jacksonville 9/21…started at LG at Houston 10/5, vs. Baltimore 10/12 and at Green Bay 10/19…saw action on special teams and at C filling in for injured Jeff Saturday at San Diego 11/23…started at C at Cleveland 11/30 and vs. Cincinnati 12/7…saw action on special teams and at C vs. Tennessee 12/28…recovered fumble in end zone for first career TD. POST-SEASON: Was inactive in Wild Card Playoffs at San Diego 1/3.