FBI Ruse Helps Catch A 10 Most Wanted Child Molester!

Steely Dan

Link

By Jim Spellman

CNN

WASHAKIE COUNTY, Wyoming (CNN) -- In the predawn darkness the agents switch the federal plates on their vehicles to local Wyoming tags and check they have no other signs showing they are from the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

They want to give the impression that they are fish and wildlife officers, certainly not what they really are -- an elite squad in search of one of the FBI's 10 most-wanted fugitives.

Their target lives eight miles up a dirt road in the Big Horn mountains of Washakie County -- and he is also not what he seems.

For the past few years Edward Eugene Harper has been tending a flock of sheep in the semi-wilderness of the region. But 15 years ago he failed to turn up for a court appearance in Mississippi on charges he had molested two girls, aged 3 and 8. He'd been on the lam ever since.

The FBI had to be careful to not tip their hand when arresting the unabomber too. They used an undercover ruse then as well.

This book by Candice Delong is really interesting. She worked on the unabomber case and was present at his arrest. She also rescued a child from a child molester and she became a criminal profiler. Very interesting read. :blush:

Based on that write up, good job by law enforcement taking him into custody.

But what gets me, here's a guy that's been underground for 15 yrs, i.e. seemingly has no siginificant interaction w/ society, yet he's on the 10 Most Wanted? Personally, I think some guy that just robbed a liquor store last week is far more of a menace to society and therefore should be more 'wanted'.

But what gets me, here's a guy that's been underground for 15 yrs, i.e. seemingly has no siginificant interaction w/ society, yet he's on the 10 Most Wanted? Personally, I think some guy that just robbed a liquor store last week is far more of a menace to society and therefore should be more 'wanted'.

He's a child molester, dummy!

Not in this particular case. Child molesters are notorious repeat offenders and IMO they simply must be imprisoned no matter the opportunity cost.

Link

By Jim Spellman

CNN

WASHAKIE COUNTY, Wyoming (CNN) -- In the predawn darkness the agents switch the federal plates on their vehicles to local Wyoming tags and check they have no other signs showing they are from the Federal Bureau of Investigation.

They want to give the impression that they are fish and wildlife officers, certainly not what they really are -- an elite squad in search of one of the FBI's 10 most-wanted fugitives.

Their target lives eight miles up a dirt road in the Big Horn mountains of Washakie County -- and he is also not what he seems.

For the past few years Edward Eugene Harper has been tending a flock of sheep in the semi-wilderness of the region. But 15 years ago he failed to turn up for a court appearance in Mississippi on charges he had molested two girls, aged 3 and 8. He'd been on the lam ever since.

The FBI had to be careful to not tip their hand when arresting the unabomber too. They used an undercover ruse then as well.

This book by Candice Delong is really interesting. She worked on the unabomber case and was present at his arrest. She also rescued a child from a child molester and she became a criminal profiler. Very interesting read. :blush:

Looks like I'll be having a new bus driver next year. That guy was so friendly too.

I do feel better considering that the list is 10 most wanted FUGITIVES. This means they have already escaped justice.

Although Bin Laden being on the list, seems to be incongruent. FBI is exclusively domestic, no?

I do feel better considering that the list is 10 most wanted FUGITIVES. This means they have already escaped justice.

Although Bin Laden being on the list, seems to be incongruent. FBI is exclusively domestic, no?

If a top ten fugitive moves overseas he's still a top ten fugitive. If Tony Soprano orchestrates the killing of 3,000 people in America from an overseas residence he's still liable for the American deaths. JMO.