Election is over?

_BiB_

I am hoping that the country is solid enough that we will muddle through whether it is their bone head running the show or our bone head. I also am hoping that Bush has learned from his mistakes despite his understandable reluctance to admit to them publicly. As for Iraq, I said before the election that there was little difference between Kerry and Bush on Iraq. The next President was going to have no choice but to try and make a success of that war no matter who that ended up being. My hopes and prayers are focused on that now, winning that war is the key that opens many doors even though I greatly fear that we are deluding ourselves into thinking that a stable democracy in Iraq or Afghanistatn will last any longer than the presence of our troops.

On domestic issues I am nothing less than distraught. The very idea that the Constitution is going to be used for the first time to expand the government's right to interefere with individual freedom rather than to preserve individual freedom as against the power of the state makes me positively ill. As for abortion, there is likely less to worry about there. The hope that the court can be stacked to finally get a majority to overturn Roe lessens the need for its opponents to push for yet another constitutional amendment. If O'Connor hangs on, they won't be able to get that majority unless another justice dies. Besides, as time goes on, it becomes more and more difficult to overturn Roe as it has become the foundation for so many other rulings, many unrelated to abortion. It is not exactly as bad as overturning Marbury but that is the general idea. I also wonder if overturning Roe would be the punch in the mouth many people who take these freedoms for granted need to wake up.

The very idea that the Constitution is going to be used for the first time to expand the government's right to interefere with individual freedom rather than to preserve individual freedom as against the power of the state makes me positively ill. 

109636[/snapback]

You've apparently been asleep for awhile.

I am hoping that the country is solid enough that we will muddle through whether it is their bone head running the show or our bone head.  I also am hoping that Bush has learned from his mistakes despite his understandable reluctance to admit to them publicly.  As for Iraq, I said before the election that there was little difference between Kerry and Bush on Iraq.  The next President was going to have no choice but to try and make a success of that war no matter who that ended up being.  My hopes and prayers are focused on that now, winning that war is the key that opens many doors even though I greatly fear that we are deluding ourselves into thinking that a stable democracy in Iraq or Afghanistatn will last any longer than the presence of our troops.

On domestic issues I am nothing less than distraught.  The very idea that the Constitution is going to be used for the first time to expand the government's right to interefere with individual freedom rather than to preserve individual freedom as against the power of the state makes me positively ill.  As for abortion, there is likely less to worry about there.  The hope that the court can be stacked to finally get a majority to overturn Roe lessens the need for its opponents to push for yet another constitutional amendment.  If O'Connor hangs on, they won't be able to get that majority unless another justice dies.  Besides, as time goes on, it becomes more and more difficult to overturn Roe as it has become the foundation for so many other rulings, many unrelated to abortion.  It is not exactly as bad as overturning Marbury but that is the general idea.  I also wonder if overturning Roe would be the punch in the mouth many people who take these freedoms for granted need to wake up.

109636[/snapback]

Mickey my constitutional knowledge seems to be a little thin at the moment. I don't remember where our forefathers put the section about people being able to kill their unborn child. Can you remind where that is again?